Sponsored

Will I be happy?

fordracerguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FJG M1
Hello everyone. Long time reader, first time poster. A little about myself. I have driven mustangs my whole life. Years including 66,79,89,91,65,65 and a 2004 cobra. They have all been manual V8's with good mods. My Cobra had 488rwhp. I love power. I also love technology.

Fast forward 10 years, I am now 36 with two kids. I am driving a VW Jetta primarily because of them and gas mileage. I think a lot of you can relate to becoming a father and the financial responsibilities that occur.

I am in the market for a GT or an EcoBoost. Because this is a daily driver (I spend up to two hours a day in the car), I am strongly considering an EcoBoost. Due to my price range, if I got a GT, it would be a bare bones, as apposed to the EcoBoost with Sync 3 (really looking forward to CarPlay) and performance package.

So... Will I be happy with an EcoBoost? I want to make sure the excitement of owning a Mustang again isn't overshadowing my love for V8's. Of course, I am coming from a 170hp car so both cars are an improvement. One thing on the GT that I would not appreciate is gas mileage and tire replacement.
Sponsored

grantourer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
The GT does pretty well on mileage considering how much power it makes. If you have been coming from V8s I would stick with them. I ordered mine barebones GT, with performance pack. Love it. The Ecoboost would be a great daily. But with the role my car plays, more of just a toy, it had to be the V8.

Ground Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 White EB+PP
I've got a EcoBoost with the Performance Package. Other than the Pirellis (which I'm so far not a fan of), it's great. It won't snap your neck like a GT would when you punch it, but 310 HP better than a lot of what's out there.

I don't use it as a daily driver, but I do take it work a few times a month, so I commute in rush hour with it and it's fine. I should add that I've got the AT so my third pedal days are thankfully behind me. :)

One more thing to mention: In my opinion, the EcoBoost still has tons of "fun factor" points in my book. I love driving it, and after three months still smile when I apply the throttle.

I recommend test driving the EB+PP and see if you like it. It will blow your Jetta out of the water. ;)

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Do drive both see which one you like.
The EB is not slow by any means but the V8 is just perfect to go with the car.
As for gas millage, it all about fun vs cost.

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT PP
Hello everyone. Long time reader, first time poster. A little about myself. I have driven mustangs my whole life. Years including 66,79,89,91,65,65 and a 2004 cobra. They have all been manual V8's with good mods. My Cobra had 488rwhp. I love power. I also love technology.

Fast forward 10 years, I am now 36 with two kids. I am driving a VW Jetta primarily because of them and gas mileage. I think a lot of you can relate to becoming a father and the financial responsibilities that occur.

I am in the market for a GT or an EcoBoost. Because this is a daily driver (I spend up to two hours a day in the car), I am strongly considering an EcoBoost. Due to my price range, if I got a GT, it would be a bare bones, as apposed to the EcoBoost with Sync 3 (really looking forward to CarPlay) and performance package.

So... Will I be happy with an EcoBoost? I want to make sure the excitement of owning a Mustang again isn't overshadowing my love for V8's. Of course, I am coming from a 170hp car so both cars are an improvement. One thing on the GT that I would not appreciate is gas mileage and tire replacement.
I'd say the short answer is No, but it really depends on how many compromises you can put up with and still be happy. Like you, I've owned a line of mustangs, all manual V8's. Also have a 4 yr old. I had an ecoboost premium manual for a little over a week as a loaner while waiting on my GT to be delivered. It was a fun car and surprisingly quick, but when my GT arrived, I was glad I bought what I did.

Sponsored

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
GT

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
Almost all of my cars have always been V8's and modified at that. I decided to go EB this time around, because I'd never had a turbo car.

If your commute has periods of sustained moving, and not a lot of stop and go, you'll be pretty happy with the gas mileage in an EB. However, if it's a lot of stop and go or idling, then the mileage isn't great. You'd not lose much with a GT in that case.

As far as power, the EB stock is pretty nice and has nice torque. I've not been disappointed in the power, though it is not the fastest car I've ever had. Also, it's fairly easy to get more HP and TQ out of the EBs for not much with a tune (Adam/Tune+ seems to get a lot of safe power out of these).

I got a fully loaded EB manual, with performance pack and 95% of the goodies and I've been very happy. But, drive both - if this was a commuter/daily driver I'd much rather have the goodies and plenty of power vs. good stock power and no goodies that never made it to a track.

OH5GT 2 S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Mustang Convertible, 2017 BMW X5, 2017 F150
It's really up to you. This is my 6th Mustang and first no V8. I am more than happy with my EB. Only thing I miss is that V8 sound! Nobody but you can answer your question, just drive both!

Socalmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium w/PP Race Red
Do it right the first time and get the GT

In a few months, like other EB owners, you will start a new thread and state if you should trade up and then you will have to eat the depreciation that comes along with that.

Sponsored

1BadAss16CS

Light'em up!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Deep Impact Blue CS

I am in the market for a GT or an EcoBoost. Because this is a daily driver (I spend up to two hours a day in the car), I am strongly considering an EcoBoost.
Wait for the Focus RS. If you have a family and need this as a daily... The RS will be much more practical. I owned a 15 ST and it was a fun car and easy for the kids to get in and out of. If you need to move the kids around I can tell you it sucks in the Mustang. I have two kids and I will tote them around from time to time but if I needed to do it on a daily basis... I wouldn't be driving Mustang.

ypena02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Because it's a commuter car, the EB is a more practical choice. With minimal bolt-ons, you can make the EB just as fast, if not faster, than a GT.

El Diablo

Made in USA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
if you love V8's and love power get the GT. So what if it's only a base model.

Yes the extra gizzmos and performance pack are nice but they don't make the car.

My 2013 GT was a base model car... I'd take it over a loaded Ecoboost without question.

will you have buyers remorse every time you see a GT?

Test drive both cars and then decide.
Good luck.

PrettySnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 BMW 530I
Wait, so you shopping for a Mustang to replace the Jetta? Where are you going to put your kids?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

OP
OP

fordracerguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FJG M1
My kids are older now. They can squeeze in the back. The oldest is out of his car seat, the youngest uses smaller car seats now.

Thanks guys, this is some good input.
Sponsored