Sponsored

Shelby GT350R vs. Z/28 MotorTrend Head-to-Head

ohtobbad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I have watched this video about 20 times now.
stopped and started it about 50 times while watching to compare.
They are almost equal until the last 1/3 of the track.
I think the R could beat it by more.
How many laps has Randy done in Z versus R
Bet give him more laps to really learn it and he will be quicker
than even this test, IMO.
Sponsored

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS
Oh look. Peak numbers and more torque mean nothing. I wonder whos been saying that since the gt vs camaro debate and z28 vs gt350s debate.
In all fairness, it means something haha. A ten year old engine on an even older platform is really close due to its superior torque. It's not even close to the sophistication, but the torque helps this old car hang pretty close to one of the best cars you can buy right now.

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
In all fairness, it means something haha. A ten year old engine on an even older platform is really close due to its superior torque. It's not even close to the sophistication, but the torque helps this old car hang pretty close to one of the best cars you can buy right now.
I didnt say it doesnt mean something. Well i did but it was exaggerated. Everyone almost always assumes the car with more peak power and peak torque is faster. Which simply is bs.

Last edited:

Texas Gator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 magnetic w/blk stripes, tech pack
Where did you find that the z beat the tp by 1.79? I'm interested to see what a tp car would do compare to a R if the TP had R wheels and tires. Everytime I watch the MT videos with this guy he looks just like the Alan guy from 3 1/2 men.
from the previous Ignition video of the GT350 TP. It did a 2:00:88 if I remember correctly....

might have been a different day

Agree that it would be interesting to see how the GT350TP with cup2 tires and lighter wheels would do (probably not the CF route, since Ford stated the CF wheels caused issues leading to an updated tune for the magnaride)

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
I feel like the times could have been better with the GT350. There were a few moments where it felt like he let off a little soon and got out of the turn a little later. This could just be because the Trofeos have better grip, but I thought the Cup 2 tires were pretty good as well.

I will say the GT350 pulls hard top end. You could see the difference clearly.
I was thinking the very same thing... That he was lifting early but who am I to know?

Sponsored

ohtobbad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Here is something interesting, the Trofeo tire is 2seconds a lap quicker than cup 2 on this Porsche. Be interesting to see Z & R on the exact same rubber.

Texas Gator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 magnetic w/blk stripes, tech pack
Interesting! I wonder if Ford chose the cup2 as it could be a better tire for the street including wet performance

morjo02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby
Best video review so far...... I can't wait for my 16 GT350R Black with Black Stripes ordered on 9/12

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
A lot of you seem to be LS haters but come on, it is just one of the best damn engines ever made. Look at the time we're living in; the Z28 and GT350R are embarrassing cars that cost four times as much. Go back 10 years and nobody could have predicted this would be a reality for $60-75k. Doesnt matter if you're a Chevy or Ford fan, these cars are just flat out BAD ASS. 'Murica!

Sponsored

GT-keith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Beater
The DOHC engine seems to be more sensitive to ambient temps than the pushrod engine. If the outside temps were 100* instead of 105* I wonder what the results would have been?

Regardless, both cars are amazing but the fact that the Mustang is more modern, has better technology, and still faster in every metric is amazing.

This is more than just a win on the performance front and it highlights Ford's holistic, all-around focus that places inferences on more than just one aspect of a car.

If the Camaro proved that American cars can spar with the best in the world then the Mustang is proving that you can have style & substance along with the best performance.

These cars are a big "fuck you" to the rest of the auto world.

redline727

Thread Killer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rocky
Vehicle(s)
2021 Oxford White Mustang GT
Here is something interesting, the Trofeo tire is 2seconds a lap quicker than cup 2 on this Porsche. Be interesting to see Z & R on the exact same rubber.
Don't know if that would be a fair comparison video as the Michelin's on the GT350R have a specific compound made for that car to Ford's spec. Don't know if the Z's tie were that way for Chevy or not. But I have a feeling the tires on the R aren't had as easy as putting a size in at tirerack.com and picking the cup 2's...From what I remember the tire is even a different compound then what is on the standard GT350

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
I'm A DIE HARD FORD MAN. and it hurts me to say this but we all know it's gonna happen. This is the z28 old platform. They did wonders with what they had. Now they have a lighter stronger platform. I'm nervous. It's a all out war.

sabasigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Pony Package
I'm A DIE HARD FORD MAN. and it hurts me to say this but we all know it's gonna happen. This is the z28 old platform. They did wonders with what they had. Now they have a lighter stronger platform. I'm nervous. It's a all out war.
Was thinking that the whole time watching this vid as it still seemed close to me in spite of the old platform.

Would be nice if Ford had something up their sleeve like aluminum bodied model or Direct Injection on the Coyote...

On the plus side, Camaro drivers will always be slowed down by their mullets.
Sponsored