Sponsored

Q - Adding Electronics Package to a used "R"

tlisotta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F80 M3; 997.1
I have obviously read the dealer can install them. Just wondering if you have not bought the car from that dealer and you are bringing in a used R - will they still install it? I have not called yet but will. There is a used R on Autotrader with no A/C, etc.
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
The purists will argue that you should just leave it alone. The numbers do support that. If you are looking for a rare car, the R is already that. Throw in the fact that it is a base model and that MY 18 will have very few to offer..... You are looking at a collectable car.

If you have to have it with AC and radio, Id suggest you just find one with the bells and whistles you are looking for. IMHO, you could not possibly save enough on that car to justify all the crap you are going to have to go through to just get one with all that already installed.

OP
OP

tlisotta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F80 M3; 997.1
The purists will argue that you should just leave it alone. The numbers do support that. If you are looking for a rare car, the R is already that. Throw in the fact that it is a base model and that MY 18 will have very few to offer..... You are looking at a collectable car.

If you have to have it with AC and radio, Id suggest you just find one with the bells and whistles you are looking for. IMHO, you could not possibly save enough on that car to justify all the crap you are going to have to go through to just get one with all that already installed.
I hear ya. This would not be a collectable car for me. I will be driving it hard at the track :). I am not driving to the track in the Texas heat with no A/C. I thought it was a simple $3K install? Sounds like that is not the case?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I hear ya. This would not be a collectable car for me. I will be driving it hard at the track :). I am not driving to the track in the Texas heat with no A/C. I thought it was a simple $3K install? Sounds like that is not the case?
I am making a huge assumption that the wiring is all there. Then you have to go out and buy the AC compressor, then the speakers, then the radio head, then the trim......

Man, It is going to add up real fast real quick. Then you have to install it all. And when you are done, you no longer have a car that matches the VIN.

I wouldn't do it. But who am I to say?

OP
OP

tlisotta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F80 M3; 997.1
I am making a huge assumption that the wiring is all there. Then you have to go out and buy the AC compressor, then the speakers, then the radio head, then the trim......

Man, It is going to add up real fast real quick. Then you have to install it all. And when you are done, you no longer have a car that matches the VIN.

I wouldn't do it. But who am I to say?
Gotcha. I was under the assumption the dealer would do it for $3K all in. Sounds like I could be wrong. I have no intention of doing it myself. Will be looking for one with Electronics Package in tandem. Thanks for the reply.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Gotcha. I was under the assumption the dealer would do it for $3K all in. Sounds like I could be wrong. I have no intention of doing it myself. Will be looking for one with Electronics Package in tandem. Thanks for the reply.
MSRP for factory installed options does not mean the dealer will do it for that. It can be done, but not worth it IMHO, especially if you are not doing the work.

OP
OP

tlisotta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F80 M3; 997.1
MSRP for factory installed options does not mean the dealer will do it for that. It can be done, but not worth it IMHO, especially if you are not doing the work.
Thanks again for the reply. Hope you enjoyed a great Thanksgiving!

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I had looked into this when I first considered a used R. I was told that the wiring harnesses in the cars are different and the work needed to retrofit the electronics wasn't worth it over simply finding a car with the electronics already installed. I consider myself a performance purist, and am still happy I went for the electronics package.

OP
OP

tlisotta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F80 M3; 997.1
I had looked into this when I first considered a used R. I was told that the wiring harnesses in the cars are different and the work needed to retrofit the electronics wasn't worth it over simply finding a car with the electronics already installed. I consider myself a performance purist, and am still happy I went for the electronics package.
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like I am on the hunt for one with the electronics package :).

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
No way without a junker to pull all parts out of

Sponsored

tdzee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
85 Corvette, 04 Corvette Z16, 08 350Z NISMO, 15 CTS-V Coupe, 17 GT350R
I am making a huge assumption that the wiring is all there......
The wiring harness is different on the base R. That's why the 2 dash gauges are gone. No place to connect them. I have wondered this as I also have a base R. The hassle and expense will be enormous. FWIW Good luck. :headbang:

OP
OP

tlisotta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F80 M3; 997.1
Thanks for the replies. I am definitely going to try and find an R with the electronics package already installed.

JJones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 s550GT
i wouldnt it isnt hard to do it at all...i turned my track pack into a tech pack and it cost me about $600

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
Thanks for the replies. I am definitely going to try and find an R with the electronics package already installed.
What a better idea! ;)

But.... but.... see below:

Save yourself thousands of $$$$.... in fact if you buy that base R, not modify it, and will track it... then I'll gladly send you one of these for free (at my cost) and via Amazon Prime too. :D

Just point it at you... :lol:

OP
OP

tlisotta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F80 M3; 997.1
LOL. Love it. Does it come in red as well? Would like it to Pop with the black seats :)

What a better idea! ;)

But.... but.... see below:

Save yourself thousands of $$$$.... in fact if you buy that base R, not modify it, and will track it... then I'll gladly send you one of these for free (at my cost) and via Amazon Prime too. :D

Just point it at you... :lol:

Sponsored