Sponsored

Official: 2018 Ford Mustang Refresh Detailed! (Options/Features, Specs, Photos, Info)

amk91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTP PP and 2014 SVT Raptor SE
Then you have to look at how much the '94 mustang changed from it's concept.

m5lp_0711_01_z+concept_3_mustang+front_view.jpg
I wouldn't say it changed from the concept literally, but still different in general execution as you imply.

The Mach III Concept shown at '93 NAIAS was developed in 1992 as SN-95 prototypes were running around covered up in vinyl clad sheathing. Like the '03 retro concept 10 years later, it was only to strictly preview the SN-95 due in December 1993 (V6 only)/January 1994 (GT only).

By October 1990, the SN-95 design was nearly a done deal, so it didn't really have an opportunity to change from the concept later on, since the Mach III wasn't the basis of it. The Mach III concept took the idea for the SN-95 design in 1990 to further heights. The New Edge design was completed internally in early 1996.

1990-Ford-Mustang-Schwarzenegger-Design-Concept-front-view.jpg

I feel the 2018 is a preview of things to come for the S650, especially because of the front end. The 2018 front end will evolve into the S650, with major changes elsewhere on the body (side, rear, greenhouse). I also wonder if we should expect a concept in 2018 or at NAIAS in January 2019 that previews the next Mustang.
Sponsored

Last edited:

scrubber3

Hopper, is that you?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Shadow Black. 2001 Jeep XJ 4x4

Sponsored

Zombie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 LFG GT350
If I lived near one of the car manufacturers, I would think about wrapping a normal/generic/round looking daily driver in this camo, and see how many people think I was a new or pre-prod car. ;)

"He buddy what's that!?!"

"I could get in trouble if anyone found out I told you, but this is the new Chevy Turbo Discombobulator" Should be out in the fall!"

"Sa-weet!"

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
If asked what the camo was and I was driving it, I would say "it's to help hide the blood and bone".

Sl13cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500
On paper, yes. I think the one to keep for years is going to be the 15-17, though.
Why do you think that ??

The '18 refresh cars appear to be superior in many ways; DI, revised 5.0, twin-disc clutch ... On and on

Sponsored

LowcountryMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
Why do you think that ??

The '18 refresh cars appear to be superior in many ways; DI, revised 5.0, twin-disc clutch ... On and on
I think he might mean that with the new changes (some even battle tested in other brands) might lead to the 18 not being as generally reliable as the battle tested 15-17 GT engines and their resale value may reflect as much. Those changes may take a year to work out any kinks before the 19 or 20 being the GT engine of the 2020’s.

Or he just owns a 15-17 GT engine and doesn’t want to think the changes will make so much of a difference that he feels hes missing out by sticking with his model.

I think both are valid points, as they are all in appreciation of the GT engine so I digress.

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Why do you think that ??

Probably the same reason why people think the Chevy 350 engine is still relevant. "If ain't broke don't go fix it ya hurd?"

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Why do you think that ??

Two things:

The added DI adds complexity, cost and weight. You will have a more maintenance-intensive engine, I assure you that, and it will be more expensive to maintain. Peak power potential* will not be significantly higher on pump gas from the DI alone. The 12:1 compression ratio will do more than the DI. That is the only real area where the 18+ 5.0L will hold an advantage over the '15-'17, particularly a tuned '15-'17. My car right now has higher crank HP than the '18 will have, guaranteed.

There are other things that I cannot share, legally.

Don't get me wrong, it will be a very good engine. On paper, it is superior in nearly every way. The '15 took everything good about the '11-'14 Coyote, made those better, and made it more robust simultaneously. I know which one I'd want to own for years to come, vs. one to keep for a few years and trade in.

*higher peak power can be achieved while meeting emissions with DI.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Two things:

The added DI adds complexity, cost and weight. You will have a more maintenance-intensive engine, I assure you that, and it will be more expensive to maintain. Peak power potential* will not be significantly higher on pump gas from the DI alone. The 12:1 compression ratio will do more than the DI. That is the only real area where the 18+ 5.0L will hold an advantage over the '15-'17, particularly a tuned '15-'17. My car right now has higher crank HP than the '18 will have, guaranteed.
There are other things that I cannot share, legally.
Don't get me wrong, it will be a very good engine. On paper, it is superior in nearly every way. The '15 took everything good about the '11-'14 Coyote, made those better, and made it more robust simultaneously. I know which one I'd want to own for years to come, vs. one to keep for a few years and trade in.
*higher peak power can be achieved while meeting emissions with DI.
Great post. Thank you for that. It's refreshing to read a post about a car that isn't out yet with quality reading material in/about it.

Now,....about that new GT500??? lol :D

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
but will it have the trade mark DI idle dip that plagues soooo many platforms, not just ford
Sponsored