Sponsored

Lund tune dyno result. On the money, or should it be making more?

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
Car:

'16 GT PP manual
Power mods:

-OEM GT350 CAI
-LUND tune
-Ford Racing X pipe + custom 2.5" valved exhaust.

Dyno: Mustang @ DreamScience in Hull, UK.

So, folks. I finally made it to a dyno. Mods on the car are as above, 20k miles on it.

We all know different dynos make different numbers on different days etc etc. This is agreed to be a heartbreaker dyno.

Apparently a std. UK GT will dyno at 405-410bhp on this machine.

My numbers are: 452bhp / 550Nm (406lb ft). Interestingly and rather surprisingly it made more power with the exhaust valves closed; 452 Vs 449!

Ill be honest, I was hoping for more (i.e 470+). The good news is that its a very, very safe and smooth tune.

IMG_20170817_132848.jpg

IMG_20170817_145953.jpg

[ame]

So my question is, are my expectations for bigger numbers unrealistic? Or should I be asking LUND to get more aggressive with the timing?

Thanks for any advice :)
Sponsored

Phil@JDM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Bullitt, 2004 Cobra, 1968 Fastback
You gained 45 Wheel horsepower from a tune and intake and your upset?

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
What timing you making? What fuel you using?

Stock EU GT is what? 421HP? So it made 30HP from a tune and intake, thats not really a million miles off, I am sure 10HP more could be got from her with VCT, timing tweaking etc, maybe possible with more logging, but ideally needs to be in house on a dyno with a live remote session.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
You gained 45 Wheel horsepower from a tune and intake and your upset?
Even though they're talking dynos, I believe he's using power at the motor, i.e., the 405-410 is the FWHP, so 410 to 452, about 42FW, so ~30-35rwhp difference which seems about right for a tune/CAI/very mild exhaust change.

Stock EU GT is what? 421HP? So it made 30HP from a tune and intake, thats not really a million miles off, I am sure 10HP more could be got from her with VCT, timing tweaking etc, maybe possible with more logging, but ideally needs to be in house on a dyno with a live remote session.
The UK spec shows 416PS don't know if that's different from what's sold to the Netherlands[?]

Side note: it looks like that car is yelling into a huge megaphone ... :D

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Even though they're talking dynos, I believe he's using power at the motor, i.e., the 405-410 is the FWHP, so 410 to 452, about 42FW, so ~30-35rwhp difference which seems about right for a tune/CAI/very mild exhaust change.

The UK spec shows 416PS don't know if that's different from what's sold to the Netherlands[?]

Side note: it looks like that car is yelling into a huge megaphone ... :D
Yes UK dyno reports crank power, not wheels. :)

Sponsored

OP
OP

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
Definitely not upset, just curious!

Yes its crank WHP, and mine is a euro spec... factory slightly detuned from the US spec, but not lumbered with the RHD headers. Normally make about +10bhp from the UK spec, so about 420bhp on this dyno.

So ive picked up approx 32bhp.

I only really ask, as they showed me some dynographs from an SCT canned tune that was picking up another +15-20bhp right across the curve. Which surprised me somewhat!

Cheers

OP
OP

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
Ill also readily accept that my expectations might be way, way out. Just going off numbers ive seen on here (@gibbo205 ;) )

If people who know more about it than me tell me that 452 is a good and respectable figure. Ill be a happy chappy :)

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ill also readily accept that my expectations might be way, way out. Just going off numbers ive seen on here (@gibbo205 ;) )

If people who know more about it than me tell me that 452 is a good and respectable figure. Ill be a happy chappy :)
Remember my 472HP was with PMAS on a winters day. PMAS is proven to make more power, particular in low ambients and with the hood open, which it was.

Also these cars easily go into cat protection mode on a dyno, which probably happened on your dyno run due to it being a hot summers day. If you run on a cold day as per my 472HP run you can avoid cat protection and stop the ECU pulling timing, that also helps results.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Definitely not upset, just curious!

Yes its crank WHP, and mine is a euro spec... factory slightly detuned from the US spec, but not lumbered with the RHD headers. Normally make about +10bhp from the UK spec, so about 420bhp on this dyno.

So ive picked up approx 32bhp.

I only really ask, as they showed me some dynographs from an SCT canned tune that was picking up another +15-20bhp right across the curve. Which surprised me somewhat!

Cheers

Are you saying they showed you a canned tune making 470HP? Or are you saying they showed you more power down low on the canned tune?

If the latter is the case, this is true, the canned SCT/DS/Ford/JDM run a lot of spark timing down low, typically 29 degrees between 2000-3500rpm, this is how they achieve the 40lb/ft gains.

Many of the professional tuners here will tell you that running such high spark down low, is not recommended, its how rods get bent, not saying the canned tunes are dangerous but the custom tuners tend to be around 24-27 degrees in the same area for safety unless your running very high octane or E85. The custom tunes come into play at higher RPM as the build timing with RPM, so the Lund tune should have more up top. :)

OP
OP

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
Yeh, it was their own DreamScience/SCT tune (and I know there has been some controversy on here about that). Their car is also running a 3" catback.... the big power run could have been made on a colder day (and for all I know with some octane booster in the tank)... but it showed a very healthy +15-20bhp over what my LUND tune was making all the way up to about 5krpm, where the graphs merged back together.

The shapes of the curve were essentially identical, just the SCT canned tune making much more lower down.

Im running 98RON Esso fuel.

Sponsored

GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, Royal Crimson, 10 speed, Active Exhaust
Vehicle Showcase
Seems about right. Go out enjoy the new power :thumbsup:

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeh, it was their own DreamScience/SCT tune (and I know there has been some controversy on here about that). Their car is also running a 3" catback.... the big power run could have been made on a colder day (and for all I know with some octane booster in the tank)... but it showed a very healthy +15-20bhp over what my LUND tune was making all the way up to about 5krpm, where the graphs merged back together.

The shapes of the curve were essentially identical, just the SCT canned tune making much more lower down.

Im running 98RON Esso fuel.

SCT canned tunes are definetely stronger down low as they run a lot more timing, like I say I am running JDM tune which is based of the SCT and it can see 29 degrees as low as 2000rpm which holds to about 3500rpm, then it drops to 24-27 degrees to limiter. Whereas Lund build it slower (safer) to a peak of 29 degrees at limter, hence why more peak power.

Email Lund, show them a 3rd gear pull 1500-7000rpm and ask them if they can improve low-down power/torque at all or add in more timing. :)

OP
OP

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
Yeh Ive already emailed LUND with a polite request. The last datalog I sent them already had a 3rd gear WOT pull, so hopefully they can use that.

Ive asked to switch to a permanent 98RON tune and to switch the fans off too.

Ive *never* seen any +ve knock the whole time ive had the tune on the car, so it seems like the fuel quality is consistently good.... hoping they will dial in a bit more aggressiveness for me lower down.

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Roush Warrior Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Kapitein,
What filling station do you use?

OP
OP

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
Esso. Its the only genuine 98octane I can get where I live. Shell VPower is 95RON round my parts.

Although I am moving in September and then my local station will be BP, selling 98Ultimate.

Have been happy with the Esso98 though.
Sponsored