Sponsored

HPDE in the Rain?

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
I have a HPDE tomorrow and the forecast is now calling for Rain the entire day.

I dont mind spots of rain but the entire day will be annoying.

I have $335 spent on the registration so I am out of pocket that if I do not go.

If I do go I will spend another 410 on track insurance.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

c_reber

REB3R
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
`16 Mustang GT (PP), `15 X5 50i
You can learn a lot in the rain, so I say go for it. The very first HPDE I did was in the rain (drying towards the afternoon). And I learned a lot about car control.

Not saying you have any more to learn, but I'd say you just have to be more careful out there and cannot push the car as hard. You will have to be very easy on throttle application etc. You obviously won't be setting any track records or anything.

Go have fun! Be safe

OP
OP
firestarter2

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
You can learn a lot in the rain, so I say go for it. The very first HPDE I did was in the rain (drying towards the afternoon). And I learned a lot about car control.

Not saying you have any more to learn, but I'd say you just have to be more careful out there and cannot push the car as hard. You will have to be very easy on throttle application etc. You obviously won't be setting any track records or anything.

Go have fun! Be safe
Based on the forecast there will be no drying out :(

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
We had a saying that the only thing dumber that racing in the rain was practicing in the rain, but unless you are running slicks, go out and have some fun, albeit at a slower pace. You paid the money you might as well make the best of it.

BTW, we also would wait until the last possible day watching the forecast before registering.

sonicc

Mr. Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
The very first time I took the Mustang to track it was raining all day and they didn't want to cancel the event. Drove pretty slow and learned a good amount about the car, like having to feather the throttle coming out of the corner so you don't end up in a tire wall

Sponsored

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I have a HPDE tomorrow and the forecast is now calling for Rain the entire day.

I dont mind spots of rain but the entire day will be annoying.

I have $335 spent on the registration so I am out of pocket that if I do not go.

If I do go I will spend another 410 on track insurance.

Thoughts?
What track is it at?

Dave

OP
OP
firestarter2

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
NJMP Lightning a friend said Monday there was standing water in the track

Last edited:

rob_s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Hopefully you're on good rubber. If you're still on the GT350's stock PSC2, it sounds like they're decent in the wet, but may not like too much standing water. I had a wet session this past Monday and can confirm the reviews that the P Zeros are terrible in the wet:

[ame]

OP
OP
firestarter2

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Hopefully you're on good rubber. If you're still on the GT350's stock PSC2, it sounds like they're decent in the wet, but may not like too much standing water. I had a wet session this past Monday and can confirm the reviews that the P Zeros are terrible in the wet:

Im on Hankook RS3.
Was it worth your time? I do not want to throw good money after bad.

Sponsored

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit

What was your drive mode settings ? Rain mode ;) , TC on ? or off

rob_s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Im on Hankook RS3.
Was it worth your time? I do not want to throw good money after bad.
I'd at least show up and try it. It's not like you're getting a refund if you don't go. I definitely got my money's worth because it was damp on the first run when I was learning the track, dry for the next 3 runs, and didn't rain until the 5th run. But the first few laps in the wet actually weren't bad since the track wasn't lost yet. It was only once standing water developed that things got bad and the tires gave up. So if you only have light rain and a damp track, you can probably get a good day out of it.

What was your drive mode settings ? Rain mode ;) , TC on ? or off
I have the base GT, so no modes, but I did have TC on.

OP
OP
firestarter2

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
I'd at least show up and try it. It's not like you're getting a refund if you don't go. I definitely got my money's worth because it was damp on the first run when I was learning the track, dry for the next 3 runs, and didn't rain until the 5th run. But the first few laps in the wet actually weren't bad since the track wasn't lost yet. It was only once standing water developed that things got bad and the tires gave up. So if you only have light rain and a damp track, you can probably get a good day out of it.

I have the base GT, so no modes, but I did have TC on.
Ill check the weather and decide. so far it looks like it will very wet all day.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
NJMP Lightning a friend said Monday there was standing water in the track
Chances are there won't be very much traffic out there. And you can easily be 20 seconds a lap slower than you've done it in the dry. If not even slower. Keep the revs down, upshift early (maybe very early) just to hold rear wheel torque down somewhere below a dull roar.

There will be water streaming across the track in at least two places I can recall offhand (just after T7 and on the uphill coming out of T9), and if it's been heavy enough the short straight between T4 and T5 will have a stream about where you might want your left-side tires.

But it's a tremendous opportunity to learn something about the wet line - something that returns usefulness back to your daily driving. Be gentle with your control inputs, especially with the throttle, discipline being your friend

Here's what Lightning looks like in heavy rain, and watch the Corvette for tailhappiness coming out of T5 (at least once) and more than a little loose going toward T5 a little later. MPSS tires at nearly full tread depth, camera shake on the last lap occurs at a little above 110 mph, there was too much spray in the earlier laps for me to even think about trying to push it that hard before then.

Expect to have to 'catch' it, and don't be caught out by the second spin (in the opposite direction after you think you've caught the initial one). Lightning again, different rainy day. That stream you see in the video thumbnail is the stream on the exit from T7. I was in 3rd gear at the time, and I only have a 4.6L, and the entire big-yaw-left/catch/small-yaw-right/catch/continue sequence takes barely more than a second.

Norm

Last edited: