Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Whitey
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I had a 96 Cobra track car and now have a 95 GT that is getting a coyote swap. I have tracked my 17 once and was happy that I almost beat my times in the 96. Very fun car on track with great capabilities from factory. But you can't beat having a car that you can total and not be out anything really. I will be tracking my 17 a couple times a year when my friend takes his 6th Gen Camaro out.
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I realistically think I could do 2 weekends and possibly 1 or 2 single day events a year.
For a couple times a year, I think Dave's first level is what you're looking for, where you'd run your car hard enough to have fun. Where the session feels more like a really brisk ride out in the country with a couple of friends than an actual race that you're actively trying to win.

I would, however, extend the preparation to include better shocks & struts and alignment settings that are slightly/somewhat more performance oriented than factory preferred.

If you're at all inclined to modify your street ride, use the track time to help zero in on the choices you make for that.

If you are trying to have fun and play with your toys, then track the Mustang and resist the urge to modify the car and you will be rewarded with a reliable track tool that in the right hands can be very competitive. Stay on street tires to keep cost and max performance levels down(safer). Add some simple reliability based upgrades like front brake cooling duct, proper oil and fluids, better brake pads and a set of track wheels and tires. It will take you a day to prep the car for track duty and a day to clean it and turn it back into a street machine. As you progress and get faster you will need to make some more aggressive alignment changes to make better use of your track tires, but that may cost you some life on your street tires so you will have to compromise on the alignment or have the car aligned before and after events.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The sensation of Roll, squat and dive do not mean poor performance.
Those effects are more disconcerting to drivers who have never intentionally driven hard enough to make them show up to any great degree. IOW, most people.

Here, I think OP probably does have enough experience to get past the notion that roll is always a bad thing.

Norm

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
I am in the same boat as the OP. It has been 5 years since I quit racing SCCA IT7 and keep thinking about doing a track day at Road Atlanta. If I could do it w/o having to buy track tires/wheels and pads that would be great.

Plus, I have a couple of friends running a Radical Pro Sport and a Corvette with Jzilla in September and am very temped to run with them.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I am in the same boat as the OP. It has been 5 years since I quit racing SCCA IT7 and keep thinking about doing a track day at Road Atlanta. If I could do it w/o having to buy track tires/wheels and pads that would be great.

Plus, I have a couple of friends running a Radical Pro Sport and a Corvette with Jzilla in September and am very temped to run with them.
DO IT!

PP pads are already Ferodo. They are very freakn good pads. Just change your brake fluid to SRF and set tire pressures to ?37 ?34 for warm ups.
Paint pen or chalk tires and watch tires as they heat up during the session.
You may find going out cold on 35 32 and warming up to 40-38 37-35 by end of session may get you pretty far.
Keep below 45 hot.

Slowly work up your line and realize car/tires/shocks change as heating up and driver can get mentally and physically tired during the session.

Sponsored

saf1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack
Is there a check list somewhere :) Had to ask...pads, fluids, etc. Ford wouldn't void warranty by changing fluids do they?

I'm in a similar boat has the OP although for me it isn't if or should but rather when and what format. Actually, the format is the more difficult thing for me. I know I don't want to do SCCA / Cone stuff and would rather drive on a track. I also want to learn yet have fun.

The way I see it today, the stock GT/PP platform is more than enough for me. But, I do have some stuff boxed up ready to go after the first couple events. Steeda pro actions, BMR rear springs, GT350 front, & cradle lock out and some other odds and ends. Figured it would be better to do a before / after. We'll see - figured these are safe more or less.

Grafanton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP 6MT
By law, Ford can't void the warranty for fluid changes. I believe they could void the warranty for being on track. One "out" they list in the owners manual is "abuse" of the vehicle. I think it would be fairly easy to call track time as abuse. It depends greatly on your dealership. The dealership can make or break your case with Ford. See other threads that discuss this topic in greater detail.

How to get on track? When and what format? Actually a tougher question. I've run with a number of different organizations at a number of different tracks and I've been surprised how similar each organization and track run their events.

Getting my S550 on track has been one of the most rewarding things I've done in a long time. I took it very slowly. I visited a local track on one of their Open Track Days with a friend just to see how in worked before ever signing up for a track day. If you have a friend that tracks their car, ask to tag along. I bet someone on this forum would be happy to show you the ropes. Try PM'ing a user that lives near you. Your first time on track can be rather intimidating just trying to keep up with how things run. I've usually tried to make it a group effort with either friends or family, there's just a lot to keep track of and it helps if there is more than one of you.

A 2015 GT PP is more than adequate vehicle for your first time on track. You will be lucky to fully exploit it's potential on your first track day. Every organization I've run with gives you a tech sheet to go over before getting to the track. For your first track day, all you really need is everything to be working as it should be, on your second track day you may want more, like tires, pads and fluids. I think I had at least 3 full track days before I upgraded anything. It's a good car, but track time will wear things out surprisingly fast.

I strongly recommend getting an instructor. I can't recommend it strongly enough. I believe it has made all the difference in my experience. I've also been fairly lucky in getting instructors that appreciated my driving style and understood my goals. I've heard stories of instructors and drivers that didn't quite mesh. If it doesn't work pretty quickly, get another one. No one will mind. I give instructors a fair amount of credit for doing what they do. It takes some stones to get into a car with someone you don't know that has 400+ horsepower under foot and has never been on a track before.

I read a fair amount before getting on track, both this forum and books. I also watched a fair amount of videos on YouTube. YouTube videos can be of dubious value. A fair number of people that post videos of their track time aren't always very good. I've also always watched videos from the track I'm visiting for the first time and some how it just doesn't translate. There is really nothing like being there. At the same time, it's not a practice I plan to abandon.

Rule #1: Get out there, get on track and have fun.

Last edited:

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
I agree with most on here. The GTPP is extremely capable (faster than an E92 M3 on track) with really good brakes and a competent chassis that you don't need to mod to have fun with on track.

For only a handful of days, just run your GTPP with good brake fluid like Castrol SRF. If you get bit by the bug and want to really work on your driving and pushing the limits, a dedicated track car wouldnt be a bad idea later down the road.

Oh and PZeros suck, get some PSS or a more dedicated track/street tire like a Hankook RS4 for your track wheels.

OP
OP
ANGST

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
Those effects are more disconcerting to drivers who have never intentionally driven hard enough to make them show up to any great degree. IOW, most people.

Here, I think OP probably does have enough experience to get past the notion that roll is always a bad thing.

Norm

LOL, body roll ... here we are at Summit Point at last years HPDE in our e36

28080679693_1e66a6bdc4_z.jpg
IMG20280 by Steve, on Flickr

Just did another weekend this past weekend, I am getting some vid of how much that thing rolls. :lol:

OP
OP
ANGST

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
This is my friend and his 2012 Lexus IS F .

36414499855_7aace522b2_z.jpg
Chin Track Days , Summit Point , WV by Steve, on Flickr

He's doing some good times on Summit Main , runs in intermediate . This is his DD that he's making payments on, and does not ever buy track insurance .

Figure about $250 an event for his car , this is his 16th event, so he would of spent $4000 total on insurance . With a 10% deductible ....

Wonder if he broke even ?

35579306114_850faf6053_z.jpg

My friend also had a little fun with the e36 ...

36246336352_0987e66d04_z.jpg

This weekend has given me some "perspective" , eventually the mustang will get out there. Just sooner , or MUCH later

Sponsored

JiminVirginia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black Shelby GT350. No stripes.
I stopped doing track days about four years ago. I was just beating up my cars too much. I was a decent driver and even did some instructing at Summit Point, so yes, I was a bit demanding of the machinery.

I can't say I miss it all that much. I'm an autocrosser, so I certainly get my fix of competitive motor sports.

I will admit I wonder what my 2015 GT PP could do out there. 26,000 miles, and it's perfect, no issues since I took delivery. Do I want to risk it? Don't think so, but it's possible I'll succumb to the temptation one day.

wmfateam

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Whitey
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Track choice also has to be factored in. We have two pretty safe tracks in my area. Not too high speed and lots of run off.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Track choice also has to be factored in. We have two pretty safe tracks in my area. Not too high speed and lots of run off.
The direct opposite of Road Atlanta. :eek:

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Road Atlanta isn't unsafe... as long as you don't go fast. :)

No seriously, go on Charlotte's ROVAL fraught with concrete and tire walls and you'll think Road Atlanta is safe(r).

OP
OP
ANGST

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Road Atlanta isn't unsafe... as long as you don't go fast. :)

No seriously, go on Charlotte's ROVAL fraught with concrete and tire walls and you'll think Road Atlanta is safe(r).
How about Watkins for lack of run off areas and walls
Sponsored