Sponsored

Roush Axle Backs & Stock Resonator

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
I ran the Roush axle-back for about a month with the stock resonator. It sounded great but I wanted some more volume so I added an X pipe. Now, even though it's my daily driver, I could never go back to just the axle-back. The X pipe makes it sound amazing. I'm very happy with my decision.
Sponsored

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
I've been looking at Roush ABs primarily because they seem to be excellent value for $. From the videos they sound very old school V8 though which is a bit of a turn off for me. Am I just imagining that?

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've been looking at Roush ABs primarily because they seem to be excellent value for $. From the videos they sound very old school V8 though which is a bit of a turn off for me. Am I just imagining that?

They are one of the best values for the money, if not the best IMO, which is one of the reasons so many of us run them. The sound is more modern than old school muscle car. It's actually pretty hard to get the Coyote to sound like an old muscle car because of the engine design. I haven't heard any Coyote exhaust setups that sound anything like my old 70' 4bbl 351 Cleveland for example. I get compliments all the time on my Coyote with Roush and X-pipe, the only exhaust I would consider replacing it with is a Corsa Xtreme but that's more than double what my Roush and X pipe cost.

racered_ppGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
just the roush and xpipe wasnt loud enough for me, so i got catless headers.....then i sold the roush and bought the AWE track and it sounds 10 times better :love:

but without headers, roush + xpipe is by far my favorite exhaust for the s550 sounds just like xtremes for half of the price. The AWE without headers sounds amazing too but it just would be loud enough IMO.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Roush with an X-pipe (or resonated X-pipe) is definitely a modern V8 tone. It is excellent value for the money.

Sponsored

Sean006

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Prem
I've been running the roush ford xpipe combo for a year now but it was always on my nerve felt it was too loud for DD. Can't hear a conversation when using Bluetooth without the volume being up to 29-30 area.

So I decided to order the Magnaflow X-Pipe Tru-X Resonated. Had it installed yesterday.
Can't tell you how long I will have this set up. To me it's too quiet now.
Going to drive for a week or 2 and see if I can get used to it. Still has that roush sound just deeper. Cold starts are not obnoxious. It def made the cab more enjoyable.

Xpipe was just too much if u ask me for DD. Any other options ?

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
It's pretty quiet with stock resonator.
[ame]

1024GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I've been running the roush ford xpipe combo for a year now but it was always on my nerve felt it was too loud for DD. Can't hear a conversation when using Bluetooth without the volume being up to 29-30 area.

So I decided to order the Magnaflow X-Pipe Tru-X Resonated. Had it installed yesterday.
Can't tell you how long I will have this set up. To me it's too quiet now.
Going to drive for a week or 2 and see if I can get used to it. Still has that roush sound just deeper. Cold starts are not obnoxious. It def made the cab more enjoyable.

Xpipe was just too much if u ask me for DD. Any other options ?
This is the review Ill be following. Were on the same page ...some days its perfect others I wish I could turn it down lol. I never heard just the mufflers because I started with the resonator delete. So ...did this resonated x-pipe tone it down way too much you think?

Sean006

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Prem
This is the review Ill be following. Were on the same page ...some days its perfect others I wish I could turn it down lol. I never heard just the mufflers because I started with the resonator delete. So ...did this resonated x-pipe tone it down way too much you think?
Yeah I think it's too low. If u ask me but it does still have that roush sound just deeper tone. It may just take some getting used to. Def was nice jumping on the highway and not having all that noise.

Going to see if I can get someone to video the car as Im driving away etc to see how much lower it really is.

Wish there was something with a mid point from x to resonated x

Thundersteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS Convertible
I just installed the Pypes axle-back on my GT/CS convertible. It looks similar to the Roush, but it's less expensive, due to the material (304 vs 409 stainless). Good sound, and no drone. It's only really loud at full throttle; otherwise, it's louder than stock, but mostly quiet when cruising.

Sponsored

JJJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Coming from a Boss 302 w/side pipes, I can't find the right sound. I have the Roush's on, and it's just too quiet. Changed stock resonator to MF Tru X, sounded even quieter, then put the stock resonator back on. Then had the idea to disconnect the Roush mufflers (knowing for the most part that they are straight through design) and drive only on the stock resonator....this is close. Sound is very deep and louder, but not obnoxiously loud. That said, I just ordered these http://www.americanmuscle.com/mishimoto-race-axle-back-blacktips-1517gt.html

If they work, I'll flip and sell the Roush's to help pay for the high price of the Mishimotos. They appear to be extremely well made, vs having a shop pre-fab them and ordering tips. I do like the black tips to go with the black & white theme, and the tips are 4.5" so they should fill the cut outs better too.

Southview

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herby
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Convertible
JJJ. Want to hear them when you get done. Would like to hear the set up you are running now with no muffler. Also, I have a whole take off exhaust I will sell you if you need it. :D

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I think it's too low. If u ask me but it does still have that roush sound just deeper tone. It may just take some getting used to. Def was nice jumping on the highway and not having all that noise.

Going to see if I can get someone to video the car as Im driving away etc to see how much lower it really is.

Wish there was something with a mid point from x to resonated x
I think you'll be surprised how loud it is outside of the car.

The only halfway thing is small (like 6-8") bullet resonators between the resonator delete X-pipe and the mufflers.

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had my GT out today with my buddies 13' GT for some backroad spirited driving. He runs catless headers, X pipe, and GT500 mufflers. I run the Roush and X pipe. I didn't think either car was too loud. I'm really happy with the sound of the Roush/Xpipe combo. If I have the windows up I can listen to the radio with no problems with the volume at 12 or so. It's really only super loud when I really get on the throttle, otherwise it's loud but not crazy loud. I debated throwing the resonator back on ONLY because I was afraid the cold starts in the winter would annoy my neighbors, but I feel like I would really be disappointed with the resonator back on. I drove it for about a month with the resonator before I bought the X pipe and it sounded good, I just really prefer it with the X pipe, even if it is my daily driver.
Sponsored