Sponsored

New SCT update requires loading stock file in car

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10spd Base
Looking to see if anyone else has had this issue with their x4. I just tried to put my stock tb on today and load my Lund tune for it back in. After going through the trouble to install my stock tb and adapter I attempted to load my Lund tune and got a general error that said I needed to update the tuner. I plugged my X4 into the computer and downloaded the new version of the SCT updater. I then ran the Automatic update and it loaded some new files. When it was done it said that I had to flash my vehicle back to stock before it could confirm the update. This worries me because obviously I cannot run my car with the stock tune in the event that something goes wrong with the tuner update. Looking to see if someone else has done this with success or what. I do not trust that the update will not leave me with a tuner that doesn't flash my custom tunes and a stock tune in the car that I can't even start the car properly on without returning my car to stock. This has me pissed! My x4 has worked flawlessly up to this point and I don't understand why SCT would have created an update that forces putting a stock tune back into the car before any other tunes can be loaded into the car.:headbonk:
Sponsored

cobra199711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 A10 GT
I just updated my Sct today and it did not say I had to return the car to stock?.

OP
OP

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have tried the update on my work computer and home computer with the same results. Both times after running the automatic updates it says return the vehicle back to stock before hitting the confirm update button. If I hit the button without returning the vehicle to stock file it just says update failed. I sent a message to SCT about it and am waiting for a response. Right now I have my Rev tune loaded and had to put the gt350tb back on. I just refuse to load the stock tune back in until I can confirm the x4 will not screw me on reloading my Lund or Rev tunes back in.

cobra199711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 A10 GT
Dang... that sucks.. update this thread when u hear back... I'm kinda nervous uploading my FF tune

OP
OP

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok. Just copied the stock file from the x4 to my computer and tried it again. Said the same crap about confirming the car was returned to stock before update and I just clicked confirm again anyway. This time it completed the update. I still have to attempt to load a different custom tune (My Lund tune) but its too late to re-install the stock tb tonight. I will try later tomorrow and then see what happens. I will keep the thread updated when I get results. Nothing more frustrating then worrying about your tunes loading properly!

Sponsored

2015 Silver GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT Premium
You should always return the vehicle back to stock when updating the device. SCT says to on their website.

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
I think the only reason sct perfers back to stock after update is if something goes wrong with the update u dont lose your stock file.U dont have to worry about that if u save your stock tune on your computer and not just on the sct device.I have had some crazy crap happen when doing updates and was glad i had all my tunes saved on my laptop.

Sponsored

66sprint6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base GT PP
I had issues initially getting my X4 to work and called SCT. 5 minutes later the guy on the other side had me up and running and working like a champ!

Matt

scott_0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
its always been common knowledge to flash back to stock before updating the hand held, wasnt sure if maybe SCT was able to fix that issue, guess not........

Moddiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Just load stock tune, don't turn car on and then update SCT, load new tune to car.

OP
OP

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thats a stupid process. They should recommend all tunes be saved to a computer before update in case something goes wrong. If you flash your car back to stock and ANYTHING goes wrong with the update you could end up with a paper weight of a car until you fix or replace your x4. I have never and will never do this unless I absolutely have to. I made sure all my tunes including my stock one were saved to two different computers and then performed the update. I just clicked that I returned to stock and it allowed the update on my second attempt after I saved the stock file to a computer.
Sponsored