Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackstangs.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Has anyone installed the front Tow Hook from ZL1 Addons onto a non-PP GT? It's a pretty straight forward installation and can really only go on one way but I was under the impression from the website description that I would not have to cut the lower grill at all and the bracket would line up with an existing grill hole to insert the tow hook through. Mine is ending up not lined up so I'm going to have to cut the grill, which doesn't really bother me, I'm just concerned that perhaps I installed it incorrectly. Also, when I look at the picture of the GT tow hook installed on the ZL1 website, it looks like a V6 or ecoboost lower grill, not a GT grill, which may be the issue as well.

See the pictures here: https://zl1addons.com/products/copy-of-mustang-gt350-tow-hook-package?variant=33027502913
Sponsored

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Hmmm. I have an Ecoboost and it lined up perfectly with an existing grill mesh hole. If the GT grill mesh doesn't match the Ecoboost's, I can imagine that yes you'll have to do some cutting.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have any pics?

Grafanton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP 6MT
OP
OP
Nick

Nick

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackstangs.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Last edited:

Sponsored

MustangGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 401A 6M Ruby Red
Getting ready to install on a GT non-PP. The instructions leave a little to be desired. Anyone have some helpful tips or photos?

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
it's not too hard once the belly pan is off. Prying the radiator support bracket back was a bit of a pain. Check the grill alignment before you tighten the backing plate down. Sometimes there is a little wiggle room.

MustangGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it's not too hard once the belly pan is off. Prying the radiator support bracket back was a bit of a pain. Check the grill alignment before you tighten the backing plate down. Sometimes there is a little wiggle room.
Thanks for the input NightmareMoon. Wow! Have to pry a bracket. Didn't see that in the instructions. I'm guessing it will make more sense when I get under there. Come on ZL1 addons. A few more steps and photos would go a long way.

MustangGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got tow hook installed last weekend. not too difficult once you get the belly pan off and see what you're working with. Would be nice if ZL1 Addons would include the nuts and not make you have to go to the hardware store.

_
IMG_4064.JPG

OKC S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black PP GT
Got tow hook installed last weekend. not too difficult once you get the belly pan off and see what you're working with. Would be nice if ZL1 Addons would include the nuts and not make you have to go to the hardware store.

_
Uhhhh :confused:

Sponsored

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
Yeah I actually commented in that thread, but he got the center mount. I have the side mount.

Here is what mine looks like now:

That's definitely not installed correctly. Should be at an angle like that. The bracket is straight, and if you put it on the two correct studs, it should line up correctly. Either you mounted it on the wrong point, or you only bolted it to one of the studs.

_
I believe they have add them if you specify you don't have a performance pack. I told them about this when I originally installed mine... it would've been pennies to include these on every kit in case the studs weren't already populated with the nuts like the performance pack is (there's an extra brace in the grille area on the PP).

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
No the brackets are not all straight. The original GT350 designs I think were straight but the model for the GTs is angled like that.

Interesting about he non-PP cars needing nuts, yeah if someone tells him they don't come with them he'll probably start including those. I'm betting he though all the cars already had those nuts.

OP
OP
Nick

Nick

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackstangs.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
No the brackets are not all straight. The original GT350 designs I think were straight but the model for the GTs is angled like that.

Interesting about he non-PP cars needing nuts, yeah if someone tells him they don't come with them he'll probably start including those. I'm betting he though all the cars already had those nuts.
If you tell them in the order notes that you have a non-PP they include the two nuts needed. It was in the ordering instructions on the website when I ordered mine, not sure if it's always been there.

I've installed these on 4 non-PP cars now and I've had to cut the lower grill each time. I think it has something to do with the bracket being bolted on behind the stock crash bar nuts. On non-PPs you just slide the bracket over the bolts and its secured on with the two additional nuts that they send with the non-PP kit.

I believe its installed slightly differently on PP cars because they don't need the additional nuts.
Sponsored