Sponsored

GT PP in Austin TX

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
... My gut feeling is I should be closer to $40-41,000 out the door with some more negotiating and emailing other dealers.
Koons gets mentioned around here quite a bit, so I went over to their website, and found nearly your exact build advertised MSRP $43,465, WOW Price $36300, Ford Financing 0.9% for 36 months

Premium PP DIB
401a
Enhanced Security
Premier Trim
Reverse Parking
Voice NAV

Assuming that's a real price that your average person can get then we can generate the following goal:

500 stripe
500 lojack
2267 tax @ 6.25%
500 TTL other

goal: $40k (out the door)

Of course, this car is in VA, and that's a different market. Furthermore, that car is sitting on the lot. Whether they would custom order you that car for the same price is another matter. Also, Koons advertised price may not be the absolute lowest.

On a side note, when negotiating a price, you are better off doing that over phone or email. Once you are physically in a dealership, you lose leverage.
Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
The Koons price listed online does not include a $900 destination fee and a number of fees associated with VA that they charge even if your coming from out of state.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
The Koons price listed online does not include a $900 destination fee and a number of fees associated with VA that they charge even if your coming from out of state.
fine print ... :faint:

... All new vehicle prices exclude freight (except Toyota and Scion). Tax, tags, and processing fee of $599 in Virginia additional.

are Koons internet prices negotiable?

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I spoke at length with two sales guys about how they advertise such low pricing. They're one of the highest volume dealers and get rebates at the back end for meeting sales targets from Ford that smaller/less volume dealers have no chance of. Of course all of this could be total BS but, like I said earlier, I have been pounding down local dealers and, out the door, none of them can get close for a like-optioned car. None.

BeauxXL1200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP Ruby Red
Well, that's two for Covert Ford and your out the door is more in line with what I would like to see. BeauxXL1200 did you have any coupons that helped you get that price or was it all negotiations?

Covert isn't open for sales on Saturday but I am about to fire off an email to them.
Clarification - when I said my out the door price on my MSRP $43,185 Stang was a little under $39k, that was just the price of the car. I just looked at my paper work, and the number was $39,438, and minus the $500 rebate, it came to $38,938.

And then of course there was tax, title, and license. Plus, as I mentioned, I rolled in the FR Touring cat backs into the purchase. :cheers:

Sponsored

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
probably not a coincidence that there is lots of Koons hype on this site, if they are moving cars near cost, making money on special volume rebates.

I didn't want to shop more than about a 50 mile radius. I found a dealership about an hour south, advertising low prices but the cars weren't optioned exactly like I wanted.

And I was partial to buying close-by, as in < 10 miles. If the car needs warranty work, I suspect there is an advantage to showing up with one of the dealerships own cars. Generates some rapport.

Considering the Koons prices, seems I got a good deal after all :thumbsup:

BeauxXL1200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP Ruby Red
$39 before or after TTL ?
Before, Mustang1. $39k after TTL would have been a heck of a deal.

Here's the full story.

A buddy hooked me up with a friend who sells for Covert in Hutto. I told him if Covert Hutto would give me 10% off the $43,185 MSRP, I would come in and order the car from them. He said he needed to check with his manager.

Didn't hear from him for a week. I got impatient and decided that since the S550s were new and not yet out, dealerships weren't willing to negotiate.

So I go to Covert in Austin b/c it's closer to my house. I get with Christine and order the car at MSRP. That was a Sunday.

Then I get a call the next week from the guy in Hutto telling they couldn't do 10% but their offer was pretty close. Like 8.5% off MSRP.

So, I call Christine and expalin that I didn't want to cancel my order with Covert Austin, but I couldn't pass up a several thousand dollar discount.

Short of the story is Covert Austin matched Covert Hutto's discount. And when I went in to pick up the car, I also got the $500 rebate from Ford. :cheers:

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
not bad. sometimes you have to leverage one dealer against another to get a good deal. :thumbsup:

I think Covert (Austin) is a volume dealer, and their internet prices were good. At least for inventory sitting on the lot. Their inventory was mostly Premium PP and I had decided on a base model.

Leif Johnson is a Ford Racing / Roush Supercharger authorized dealership, for whatever that's worth. Although with Austin traffic, do I really need one of those? :shrug:

http://fordperformanceracingparts.com/
Ford Racing and ROUSH Performance have co-developed a new supercharger kit for 2015 Mustang.

From what I gather so far, OP may be leaving $1000-1500 on the table or so. Which may represent their hold-back. Trying to get that out of a custom order may not be easy. I suppose he could call over to Covert and get their best offer, and if its better, call back over to Leif Johnson to see if they will match, etc.

OP
OP

DigitalPackrat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
5.0 Mustang
Little update. I did order the car from Leif Johnson Ford in Austin, TX on 2/13. Ford accepted the order around 2/17, build date is scheduled for 3/21 and delivery around 4/7-4/13. The window sticker showed up 3/14.

Thanks for all those that helped out.

Anyways, this GT won't remain stock for long. I already have a Solo Mach Thunder exhaust in my living room along with Steeda clutch spring and jacking rails. Still out for delivery are Redline hood struts, Sto N Sho license bracket, Mishimoto expansion tank and Steeda subframe IRS bushing support system.

For the future, likely a Whipple supercharger and I am still on the fence with a GT350 wheel. The GT350 wheel wait is mostly because I have had terrible luck with my other Fords wheels wearing out quickly.

Last edited:

Sponsored

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Good deal :thumbsup:

Sounds like you are an enthusiast. My car is still stock. I haven't decided if my car will get a supercharger. Its hot in summer time and there is a lot of traffic in my area.

On a side note, one thing I would do different is ask the dealer to skip the prep, no wash, etc. They should give you the front license plate and mounting bracket, but I assume you already know to ask for that, since you bought a Sto & Sho

OP
OP

DigitalPackrat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
5.0 Mustang
If anyone is looking for a dealer in Austin, check out Leif Johnson Ford and talk to Bob Russell. Bob has been great at sending me email updates on build date, VIN number and lately daily updates as the train made it's way from Flat Rock to Arkansas, Hearne TX, Kirby TX and finally a trailer today. Now it's all down to the truck driver and the Lojack install.

OP
OP

DigitalPackrat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
5.0 Mustang
And she's home. Crappy security cam pic of the red white and blues till the weather cooperates.

JXtzLZK.jpg

OP
OP

DigitalPackrat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
5.0 Mustang
I'm lovin her so far. Installed the jacking rails, exhaust and hood struts yesterday with hopes of having time for the rest of the stuff in the near future. My only complaints so far are the insanely quiet exhaust which is now in the side of my garage, Ford cheeping out on hood struts vs prop rod and the cup holders that always seem to be in my way when occupied. Granted I am a big buy at 6'1" and about 280lbs so that may contribute to 5th and 6th being hard to grab with a drink in the holders.

No issues with delivery, it was ahead of the original estimate, purchase was easy and exactly the amount out the door as originally agreed to. There was a slight delay in picking it up largely due to my rushing it, I got the message that she had arrived around 12PM on Friday 4/1 and returned the call around 2PM giving them an hour to make her ready. I was told ahead of time that stickers wouldn't be applied and the front plate bracket mounted to Mustangs so all they did was hose her off, dry her and install Lojack. That probably added 20-30 minutes to the wait but a test drive and time for inspection were granted without my asking.

If I had to complain about anything it was after all the signing with their Business manager Amanda. I think it's a normal thing to invite her out to check out the vehicle but more likely for use as a witness. Anyways, when returning to the building, Amanda went through the door first, followed by Bob and then myself. Bob only held the door for myself. Personally, I like to hold the door for a woman but forced to nitpick, that's the only thing I can really come up with and that's pushing it.

Edit: Just to clarify, that's me nitpicking with the holding the door open. There are many other factors which may negate my preferences. I just have some traditional senses that sometimes get in the way. Anyways, there's really nothing I can complain about in the experience that I didn't expect dealing with sales people and my preferences being more toward the Tesla side with no middle man but instead ordering it online and picking her up from the truck driver directly from a random parking lot or even better, a tour of the Flat Rock plant followed by me driving the car away back to Texas.
Sponsored

Last edited: