Sponsored

Haze after waxing.

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
I washed and waxed my car yesterday. I think I wiped the wax off too quickly or put too much on, now I have like a haze/swirl type effect. I didn't notice it until today in the sun. Do I need to strip off the wax and start all over again or will it clear itself up after a wash or two? Thanks.
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Some wax do what they call "sweat". Try hit it with a polish see if it would come out. Is it on all the panels? Can you post a picture?

OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Some wax do what they call "sweat". Try hit it with a polish see if it would come out. Is it on all the panels? Can you post a picture?
I hit it with detail spray and I think that helped, but the sun wasn't shining directly on the car by then, so I won't know for sure until tomorrow when it's in direct sunlight. I'll try to get some pics if it's still there. If I need to, I'll will wash it with Chemical Guys Clean Slate to strip everything off and start again. I'm hoping to avoid that though. I just put 2 coats of wax on it and don't feel like doing it all over again. :)

jgedde

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP, M6, Triple Yellow
I hit it with detail spray and I think that helped, but the sun wasn't shining directly on the car by then, so I won't know for sure until tomorrow when it's in direct sunlight. I'll try to get some pics if it's still there. If I need to, I'll will wash it with Chemical Guys Clean Slate to strip everything off and start again. I'm hoping to avoid that though. I just put 2 coats of wax on it and don't feel like doing it all over again. :)
The issue is most likely not letting the wax dry to a haze for long enough. You can just apply a new coating, waiting the required time, and buff. The haze will come off without stripping the car. You'll end up with three coats! ;-)

John

OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The issue is most likely not letting the wax dry to a haze for long enough. You can just apply a new coating, waiting the required time, and buff. The haze will come off without stripping the car. You'll end up with three coats! ;-)

John
Thanks. I think that was my problem. For some reason I thought it had to be wiped off quickly, and letting it dry was a bad thing, apparently I was wrong. I think with the cool weather it was taking even longer to dry as well.

Sponsored

jgedde

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. I think that was my problem. For some reason I thought it had to be wiped off quickly, and letting it dry was a bad thing, apparently I was wrong. I think with the cool weather it was taking even longer to dry as well.
Yes. Thin coating. Wait until it wipes off with your finger and doesn't smear. May take a long time in fall weather to get there: possibly hours.

Some waxes need to be buffed off immediately, namely many carnauba waxes. Those do have a much higher risk of smearing, but can build.

What were you using? Did it say to let dry to a complete haze?

J

OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes. Thin coating. Wait until it wipes off with your finger and doesn't smear. May take a long time in fall weather to get there: possibly hours.

Some waxes need to be buffed off immediately, namely many carnauba waxes. Those do have a much higher risk of smearing, but can build.

What were you using? Did it say to let dry to a complete haze?

J
I'm using Collinite 915. I just put another coat on and waited about 20 minutes before buffing it off. Hopefully that was long enough. I then followed by a quick detailer. I guess I'll see how it went tomorrow in the daylight. I'd give it longer to haze over but I don't have a garage so the longer I wait the more leave and stuff fall on the car.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I'm using Collinite 915. I just put another coat on and waited about 20 minutes before buffing it off. Hopefully that was long enough. I then followed by a quick detailer. I guess I'll see how it went tomorrow in the daylight. I'd give it longer to haze over but I don't have a garage so the longer I wait the more leave and stuff fall on the car.
I know the 845 sweat a little bit a day after. You just wash it off.

OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know the 845 sweat a little bit a day after. You just wash it off.
Thanks. I'll see how it looks tomorrow, if the paint still has the hologram effect, I'll give it a quick wash and see if that helps. Now with 3 coats of wax on the car I really don't feel like starting over again from scratch. haha

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
I think the thing you may not of taken into account was the temperature. Its been cold in the northeast and PA and even with direct sunlight that wax will need a bit of time to dry.

Sponsored

jgedde

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
In this weather I doubt 20 minutes was anywhere near long enough...

J

OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, it seemed like I should have given it more time to dry, but I was in a hurry before it was covered in leaves and stuff. It rained today, if the sun comes back out tomorrow and it still has a hologram effect, I'll throw on a 4th coat and let it sit for a few hours this time before cleaning it off. If that doesn't work I'll try washing it, and if that doesn't work I guess I'll have to take off all the old wax and start over again....which I hope it won't come to that.
Sponsored