Sponsored

Ceramic Coating? Waste of money?

DevilDocAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 V6 but it’s neato
Just looking for opinions from those who have spent the $1500-2500 to get their car prepped and ceramic coated.

Do you regret it? That money buys a lot of wax, clay, soap not to mention fuel, insurance and mods.
Sponsored

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
No regrets. Lots of time saved washing my car and getting an amazing waxed look from a simple 2 bucket wash and dry.

OP
OP

DevilDocAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 V6 but it’s neato
No regrets. Lots of time saved washing my car and getting an amazing waxed look from a simple 2 bucket wash and dry.
Curious if you did the DIY route or the professional route.

sublimaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
Just be sure you know what you are buying. I have never done ceramic coating, but my friend had it done on her GTR. I guess the guy gave her a false sense of "protection", because she was extremely disappointed when her front end got rock chips, and of course the ceramic coating didn't do jack to protect from that. Another downside is ceramic coating must be reapplied periodically to maintain that luster.

I am a clear bra guy, and I have been very satisfied with that product. I've had clear bras on 7 vehicles, and I think it does a fantastic job keeping the paint looking good AND protecting against rock chips and bird poo. No, it doesn't repel water like ceramic coating, and it doesn't make the car always look like you just washed & waxed it. But I have a membership at a detailing shop, so I can get it detailed every day if I want.

jasduke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium Performance Package PP-3
membership at a detailing shop? never heard of such a thing...please elaborate. Have the ceramic coating, prep and 3 coats for $600 like it for what it is but yes does not protect from chips.

Sponsored

OP
OP

DevilDocAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 V6 but it’s neato
membership at a detailing shop? never heard of such a thing...please elaborate. Have the ceramic coating, prep and 3 coats for $600 like it for what it is but yes does not protect from chips.
Wow! Guys here in phoenix are asking 3 and 4x the amount you paid.

sublimaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
I pay $35/month for unlimited hand washes, vacuuming, and tire polish. Wax jobs are extra, but I only do that every few months.
I probably spend close to $500/year for detailing & waxing, which is close to your quote for ceramic coating, so the cost is similar. But how often must ceramic coating be reapplied? And how much does that cost per year?
Personally I'd prefer the extra rock chip protection over a shimmering gloss finish. It all depends on your priorities :thumbsup:

sublimaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
Wow! Guys here in phoenix are asking 3 and 4x the amount you paid.
Yeah my friend paid considerably more than $600. I guess it depends on your location. It also depends on how good/busy the installer is.

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
Curious if you did the DIY route or the professional route.
I had it professionally applied and half of the front of my car covered with a clear bra. It cost me around $1200 for both, I did some haggling. I will have some kind of ceramic coating added to my future cars because of how well it works.

CGADAMS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP 1992 SSP LX 5.0 W/ 331 stroker
I had ceramic pro done professionally done about a year and a half ago and it still looks amazing. worth every penny in my opinion. its not going to prevent every rock chip etc out there but it definitely does help. makes cleaning that much easier and I just see my detailer once a year so he can touch it up and make sure every thing is on point. yes it does buy a lot of wax but then again if the person does it right and you follow up it wont need to be waxed again.

Sponsored

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
The coating itself isn't all that much money, most is going to paint prep. That said, those figures are really high. For $2500 you could get half of your car covered in PPF. There's a lot of misconceptions out there about coatings. Despite what a lot of people say, they do require a regular maintenance program, it's just with different products than for polymer sealants/carnuba waxes.

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
ceramic coatings will help keep things from getting attached and ruining your finish, ie bird bombs. and it should be hydrophobic enough that washes are easier and avoiding water spots is easier, but it will never be 100% full proof.

It does not prevent scratches and rock chips. In my experience it adds nearly 0% protection for rock chips, and only the slightest resistance to scratches. If you dry wipe the dust that settles on a car after a few days of it sitting, it still can scratch the coating.

Clear Bra = Protection

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Definitely NOT a waste of money.
I have it on my truck, which is my daily driver and it works awesome. Rains beads like crazy and the color just pops and looks way cleaner than other vehicles that are not ceramic coated. Could have something to do with the paint correction too though.

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
Over 2 years in and absolutely loving it. I only hand wash my car 3 or 4 times a year. Most weeks it's just a spray, blow and go!
IMG_20171027_224359179.jpg

Texstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EB Premium PP 6MT
I'm completely sold on the benefits of coatings. I installed a coating on my daily-driven Mustang about 4 months ago (not long, I know) and I'm very satisfied with it. Washing (waterless or traditional) is a breeze and it looks great.

I don't have any personal experience with coatings and rock chips, and I know that some are harder than automotive clearcoat, but I don't think they can compare to paint protection film if that's your primary concern.

My thought is that a good portion of the coating's installation price comes from:
1. The value to you the customer in terms of easy future maintenance/washing
2. A quality coating installation will involve paint correction and prep work. This is the most time-intensive part of the process and is necessary for the result to last and look good.
3. A lot of the "professional grade" coatings require installers to acquire some sort of "certification" or such that allows them to offer warranties to customers.

If you're looking to save a little money, and are willing to learn some detailing skills, my suggestion would be to do the paint correction yourself as necessary, spend a portion of that $ on a quality paint protection film installation, and apply a coating yourself.

I had Suntek Ultra film installed on my front fascia, mirror caps, full hood, and the leading edges of my front fenders for ~$650 with a 10 year warranty at a local shop about 9 months ago. It started peeling on one of the contoured edges of the bottom part of the bumper but I took it back to the shop and they re-applied it. No problems since.

I already had a dual-action polisher and I've done some paint correction in the past, so I was comfortable doing the prep work on my own car without having to learn on the go. Fortunately due to my washing techniques and the fact that Ingot Silver doesn't show defects very well, I had very little work to do as far as paint correction.

There are several "consumer grade" coatings available that you can use. I would suggest doing some research on them on detailing forums. Off the top of my head, Optimum Gloss Coat, CQuartz and CQuartz UK, HydrO2, and McKee's 37 are all pretty popular, but there are other options as well. I used McKee's as it was a little less expensive and I read that it was pretty easy to install for someone who was new to coatings.

Assuming you don't have very many detailing supplies, you can do all of this (partial film, correction, coating) for around $1000, less if you already have some detailing gear.

Hope that helps.
Sponsored