Sponsored

Opinions on the Chevy SS

earlingy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Performance Package
Chevy is doing 20% off 2017 models, there are some SSs for sale under $40k. I love my Mustang, but I want back doors because I'm thinking child seats are going to be a new part of my life in the next few years. I want a big American V8 with a stickshift, and four doors, and it's possible that the SS is the last one of those, ever...
When I was buying back in 2015, I test drove the Camaro and Mustang, liked the Mustang better. I have no GM or Ford loyalty, so don't use that as a reason for or against either one. I already have a Nissan with an LS in it. I like the new Chargers too, but they're automatic only. The SS's 0-60 and cornering g's are close enough to the Mustang's for me, unlike older Pontiac G8's with LS's, it's got all the bells & whistles I want (dual climate, heated/cooled seats, forward collision warning).
I can trade the Mustang in and get one of these, and keep the same payment, +2 yrs to my loan. I could also wait until there's actually kids on the way and get one used, or settle for an automatic, like a Charger 392 or Audi S6.
Sponsored

Reactions: A7X

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS
I daily drive one. It is a great car and the 20% off is amazing this month. I say go grab one because there are not many left.

JohnnyUtah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 M4 Comp, 2019 Silverado
Chevy is doing 20% off 2017 models, there are some SSs for sale under $40k. I love my Mustang, but I want back doors because I'm thinking child seats are going to be a new part of my life in the next few years. I want a big American V8 with a stickshift, and four doors, and it's possible that the SS is the last one of those, ever...
When I was buying back in 2015, I test drove the Camaro and Mustang, liked the Mustang better. I have no GM or Ford loyalty, so don't use that as a reason for or against either one. I already have a Nissan with an LS in it. I like the new Chargers too, but they're automatic only. The SS's 0-60 and cornering g's are close enough to the Mustang's for me, unlike older Pontiac G8's with LS's, it's got all the bells & whistles I want (dual climate, heated/cooled seats, forward collision warning).
I can trade the Mustang in and get one of these, and keep the same payment, +2 yrs to my loan. I could also wait until there's actually kids on the way and get one used, or settle for an automatic, like a Charger 392 or Audi S6.
It's pretty sweet that it's got the V8 and is manual.

Not the best looking car in my opinion, but for the price it is the best option. Electronics inside are dated. I don't believe they've integrated the new Android or Apple stuff.

If you haven't started trying for kids yet, just remember that you have a while before you need it. And once they're on the way, priorities will change in your head.

You could always buy one used if you're stuck on it further down the line.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
I owned a G8 GXP with the manual ... a previous gen 4-dr Camaro basically. Test drive it for sure.

The fuel economy is a bit worse than the Mustang and I couldn't keep paying through the nose so I sold it and got another daily driver.

OP
OP

earlingy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I daily drive one. It is a great car and the 20% off is amazing this month. I say go grab one because there are not many left.
Thanks! DD is all this would be, occasional backroads spirited driving, maybe an autocross once every year or two. Is yours a stick? Any weird maintenance or repairs?

It's pretty sweet that it's got the V8 and is manual.

Not the best looking car in my opinion, but for the price it is the best option. Electronics inside are dated. I don't believe they've integrated the new Android or Apple stuff.

If you haven't started trying for kids yet, just remember that you have a while before you need it. And once they're on the way, priorities will change in your head.
I know right? As long as we live, there will be new V8 sedans, but I doubt there will ever be a new manual transmission V8 sedan. The only other possibility is BMW, but they're moving to mostly turbo sixes.

The looks are probably the biggest turn-off for me at this point, I keep trying to convince myself that it being ugly just makes it a sleeper. "It's just another Malibu... Wait, that sounded like an LS!"
I dont even use the Android sync I have now, bluetooth phone calls is the only car to phone link I use.

Priorities will change like, I won't even have time to consider getting a bigger car with back doors and should've already dealt with it? Or more like, I won't want a stickshift V8 anymore, and I'll be looking at Jettas?

I owned a G8 GXP with the manual ... a previous gen 4-dr Camaro basically. Test drive it for sure.

The fuel economy is a bit worse than the Mustang and I couldn't keep paying through the nose so I sold it and got another daily driver.
14mpg on premium does scare me, the ~20mpg I get now is acceptable for the level of performance I get out of the Mustang.

Sponsored

Axiom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack
You're in the same boat I was in not long ago. I also looked at the SS at the time, but having a manual wasn't a priority because wife can't drive a manual in case of any emergencies. I have another on the way and 4 doors will be a blessing.

Jump on that deal. Not sure if there will be another V8 4 door with a manual. Also, that deal would surely help offset depreciation in the event you want to move in to something else.

Check out ssforums.com.

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS
Thanks! DD is all this would be, occasional backroads spirited driving, maybe an autocross once every year or two. Is yours a stick? Any weird maintenance or repairs?
Mine is the auto, would have loved the the stick, but I live in metroplex and it would be a pain in the ass. But the stick is amazing to drive.

Zodiac

Sarcasm Personified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Charger R/T Scat Pack
It's definitely a great car and handles well for a 2 ton sedan, thanks to magnetic suspension. Has pedestrian looks but the dual mode exhaust sounds great and the LS3 is a solid engine with a great aftermarket to mod.

Also of note if you care, the Chevy myLink absolutely sucks. As does paying a gas guzzler tax.

I considered it, but they dropped the Jungle Green for 2017 and I really wanted a green car again. Although the the Orange Blast is a beautiful color.

Only choice for me was automatic and the 6 speed is a decent unit but after driving the Charger with the ZF8 speed, I just couldn't do the 6 speed.

The styling is great to go unnoticed as well, definitely a sleeper.

The biggest question mark is gonna be replacement/repair parts. I bought a G8 GT new in 2008 and as time went on after discontinuation parts became harder to get and much more money. Now minor fender benders can total one just due to cost of replacement parts. With the SS being dropped you will most likely see the same thing.

At 20% off it's a great deal. I almost bought a 2016 Jungle Green for around $35k last time they had it, but it sold before I could get to it.

For me in the end the Charger 392 was the perfect car for me. Like you said the SS might be the last RWD V8 sedan with a manual transmission.

Keep us updated.

gearhead2685

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang
Before you even go drive one get insurance quotes LOL if you are willing to pay the insurance then go drive one..........

Hint insurance is absurd for the SS. And it will get worse considering they stopped making them.

swat 79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Excellent car, if I had the money I would own one for sure. The clutch is a bit light and the fuel mileage is terrible. But outside of that it is a fantastic car and I only have good things to say.

Sponsored
OP
OP

earlingy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Apparently I wasn't the only one with this idea. Saturday morning when I searched inventory, there were 3 within 100 miles, talked to the dealers, they all sold Saturday! One dealer is searching for me, you can't search large regions with the Chevy inventory search, only dealers can.

swat 79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I found quite a few on Autotrader. What's interesting about the SS, is that it is a low volume car that was barely marketed, yet there are nearly any dealers that have a decent inventory.

OP
OP

earlingy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Closest stick to me on Autotrader is more than 500 miles away!

Shouldhavegotthegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB 4x4
I wouldn’t trade a car because one day you might need the 4 doors. If you’re tired of the mustang and want something different that’s a different story. But the 4 door manual V8 is now on the endangered list. Still can’t figure out why dodge won’t sell a manual charger.

OP
OP

earlingy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wouldn’t trade a car because one day you might need the 4 doors. If you’re tired of the mustang and want something different that’s a different story. But the 4 door manual V8 is now on the endangered list. Still can’t figure out why dodge won’t sell a manual charger.
I read somewhere that Dodge intended to, but the floorpan that supported the manual did not pass crash tests, and they didn't want to re-design it. Not to mention that nobody likes manuals anymore :thumbdown:
Sponsored