• ATTENTION SELLERS: All users who wish to sell in the marketplace are REQUIRED to abide by the following RULES. If a sales thread/post does not comply, it is subject to DELETION without notice.

ATTENTION BUYERS: If you see a non-compliant sales thread, please REPORT the thread and take CAUTION when transacting.

Rule #1 - Post a picture of the actual item you are selling (NO stock photos).
    Rule #2 - The picture must include a REAL piece of paper with your Username and the Date written on it next to the product you are selling. NO photoshop or digitally edited photos are allowed.
    Rule #3 - NO "feeler" threads are permitted. This section is only for items that are actually available and ready to be sold currently.
    Rule #4 - The listing must include an asking price. OBO (or best offer) is allowed but it must be accompanied by an asking price.
    Rule #5 - No "threadcrapping." Classifieds threads are not meant for negative discussions. Comments on pricing are not allowed. Only people with genuine questions and interest in the item for sale should be posting in the classifieds threads.

RESONATED MBRP Race catback + MBRP Catted down pipe

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
Nice project. However I would expect that cutting out a big part of the Y pipe would change the MBRP sound significantly. The exhausts' particular design (length, diameter & shape) is what gives this characteristic deep, throaty sound. Do you have a video?

Last edited:

Notes

Moustang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BLACK S550 EB/AT/PP/EU
I'm still undecided for the turbo-back system I want after 2 years driving stock... but the idea I'm playing with is to use the COBB 3" down-pipe and Y-pipe with the MBRP race behind it. I just don't know if all Y-Pipes are the same size wise but I do like the quality of these COBB Y-pipes but no so much the mufflers.

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
I have the MBRP Race catback exhausts and couldn't be more happy with their deep, throaty sound. I was about to add a catted downpipe, but a couple of days ago a friend of mine did that. They get too loud and the drone inside the cabin is terrible! Also there is no space to install a resonator, therefore you will have to cut the exhausts, like [MENTION=32241]desperatev00[/MENTION] did.

As I said in my previous above, I don't want to mess with the size and shape of the exhausts. Apart from involving too much work, I strongly believe that this would change the MBRP sound significantly. The exhausts' particular design (length, diameter & shape) is what gives this characteristic deep, throaty sound. Also, after discussing the issue with a few members of these forums, I came to the conclusion that the power gains achieved with the downpipe are minimal (if any) and that it's not worth all this effort. Actually several people have already removed their downpipes.

To answer your question about the Cobb Y pipe diameter, it seems that it is 3" indeed, same size as the MBRP Y pipe. The problem is that the shape of the Cobb Y pipe seems to be different to the MBRP Y pipe, so I don't know how the catback part of the MBRPs would fit... :shrug:

5.0yote

AKA Bananana & 3.7Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
You can do a pair of vibrant resonators between the clamps of the Y pipe and the two rear pipes dead center of the the stock clamp location and weld them in, they are only 3 to 3.5" round, they will not quiet it down as much as that giant Vibrant quiet resonator but also would not be as bulky at that unit. If your car is lowered and you are not careful over speed bumps you are asking to take that one out like that, there needs to be more clearance.

OP
OP
desperatev00

desperatev00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang Ecoboost
Nice project. However I would expect that cutting out a big part of the Y pipe would change the MBRP sound significantly. The exhausts' particular design (length, diameter & shape) is what gives this characteristic deep, throaty sound. Do you have a video?
I didn't notice the change in tone, but a significantly decrease in cabin drone. Based on my understanding the tone is mostly affected by resonators and mufflers.

The link to the video is on the second line of my post.

OP
OP
desperatev00

desperatev00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang Ecoboost
I have the MBRP Race catback exhausts and couldn't be more happy with their deep, throaty sound. I was about to add a catted downpipe, but a couple of days ago a friend of mine did that. They get too loud and the drone inside the cabin is terrible! Also there is no space to install a resonator, therefore you will have to cut the exhausts, like [MENTION=32241]desperatev00[/MENTION] did.

As I said in my previous above, I don't want to mess with the size and shape of the exhausts. Apart from involving too much work, I strongly believe that this would change the MBRP sound significantly. The exhausts' particular design (length, diameter & shape) is what gives this characteristic deep, throaty sound. Also, after discussing the issue with a few members of these forums, I came to the conclusion that the power gains achieved with the downpipe are minimal (if any) and that it's not worth all this effort. Actually several people have already removed their downpipes.

To answer your question about the Cobb Y pipe diameter, it seems that it is 3" indeed, same size as the MBRP Y pipe. The problem is that the shape of the Cobb Y pipe seems to be different to the MBRP Y pipe, so I don't know how the catback part of the MBRPs would fit... :shrug:
I think a 3'' down pipe will increase some hp with a tune. It might only increase sound without a tune.

OP
OP
desperatev00

desperatev00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang Ecoboost
You can do a pair of vibrant resonators between the clamps of the Y pipe and the two rear pipes dead center of the the stock clamp location and weld them in, they are only 3 to 3.5" round, they will not quiet it down as much as that giant Vibrant quiet resonator but also would not be as bulky at that unit. If your car is lowered and you are not careful over speed bumps you are asking to take that one out like that, there needs to be more clearance.
The resonator is around 0.5~1 inch lower than the original pipe, which I don't think is a big deal. I haven't lowered my car and no problem with any bumps.

5.0yote

AKA Bananana & 3.7Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
The resonator is around 0.5~1 inch lower than the original pipe, which I don't think is a big deal. I haven't lowered my car and no problem with any bumps.
I am just noting the clearance under there is not great in general, getting a .5" clearance around everything is tough, and I imagine with that size of a resonator it might be close, it is far larger than individual bottle type resonators but it is more effective due to the design and purpose.

OP
OP
desperatev00

desperatev00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang Ecoboost
I am just noting the clearance under there is not great in general, getting a .5" clearance around everything is tough, and I imagine with that size of a resonator it might be close, it is far larger than individual bottle type resonators but it is more effective due to the design and purpose.
Should be good for daily driving, unless you lower your car significantly. Also it depends on how you rotate the resonator, since the cross section is an ellipse. It will take some efforts to calm down the beast :D

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
I didn't notice the change in tone, but a significantly decrease in cabin drone. Based on my understanding the tone is mostly affected by resonators and mufflers.

The link to the video is on the second line of my post.
The tone of an exhaust is affected by their shape in general and the mufflers. The addition of a resonator will affect drone. Sorry I didn't notice that there was a video on your post :thumbsup:

I think a 3'' down pipe will increase some hp with a tune. It might only increase sound without a tune.
Yeah, that's what I am saying: the hp gains with a downpipe are actually minimal, if any.

Once again, great work [MENTION=32241]desperatev00[/MENTION]. I hope you sell it. I would definitely be interested if I was in the US.