Sponsored

Over waxed

Joemomma22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP
So for the first time in a very long time i used a solid wax and buffer pad instead of spray wax and microfiber. I ended up having the buffer pad leave wax residue in some of the plastic parts on the bumper, in every little crevice, and the heat extractors too. how do i get rid of it easiest?

Sponsored

BDMACH1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
Sorry man, that sucks. :(
A lot of that stuff gets masked off before we go near it with any kind of compound/wax.

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
depends on the wax. Maguires stains plastics pretty good. In the future coat your plastic trim with trim cleaner before waxing and the wax wont be able to stick to the plastic (painters tape works too).

Try a plastic trim cleaner

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
cocktail stick to get the bits out the grooves, cotton bud to get the bits out of the grill then sponge and water to scrub as much as you can off then mengulars black trim restorer will get rid of the buff marks and white scuffs but you may have to go over it multiple times

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
Yikes.

Get all the blobs of wax off first. For wax stuck in crevices and panel gaps, spray wax and a clean boars hair brush works wonders. For wax residue on plastic trim, a pink pencil eraser (yes you read that right) works wonders. And then go back over it with some trim dressing to remove any left over discoloration.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Joemomma22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP
depends on the wax. Maguires stains plastics pretty good. In the future coat your plastic trim with trim cleaner before waxing and the wax wont be able to stick to the plastic (painters tape works too).

Try a plastic trim cleaner
This was griots best in show car wax.

https://www.griotsgarage.com/produc...pX9K8prZx6Jt1f9uMYoV6T3GjvmaldJUaApXqEALw_wcB

cocktail stick to get the bits out the grooves, cotton bud to get the bits out of the grill then sponge and water to scrub as much as you can off then mengulars black trim restorer will get rid of the buff marks and white scuffs but you may have to go over it multiple times
can you say that again in american english. whats a cocktail stick and whats a cotton bud (im assuming this is a cotton swab, or q-tip). also its griots as stated above.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
This is why you don't use a buffer pad to wax.

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
can you say that again in american english. whats a cocktail stick and whats a cotton bud (im assuming this is a cotton swab, or q-tip). also its griots as stated above.
lol

80mm-cocktail-sticks.-2856-p.gif

and yes a qtip :) since thats a brand name I wasn't sure if you had it over there :)

OP
OP

Joemomma22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP
Yikes.

Get all the blobs of wax off first. For wax stuck in crevices and panel gaps, spray wax and a clean boars hair brush works wonders. For wax residue on plastic trim, a pink pencil eraser (yes you read that right) works wonders. And then go back over it with some trim dressing to remove any left over discoloration.
I think I may have been just a tiny bit rushed by the time of (night) day. I'll have to be more careful next time and wax only big surfaces and spray wax the rest.

OP
OP

Joemomma22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP

Sponsored

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
thats a tooth pick lol
haha cocktail sticks for us you chuck olives on them and put them in martini's :) toothpicks are something completely different usually plastic but wood won't damage your car trim the plastic ones can

ford20

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 HE On Order / 2012 Boss 302 Laguna Seca
An eraser will get off the wax but not the staining of the plastic. As for the wax in the honey comb, spray or with some spray wax and use sombre q tips to clean it off

Synyster06Gates

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Pencil eraser has worked for me - after using it there was no residue or "staining" left.