Sponsored

EcoBoost dyno tested in Italy: very bad results! Fraud???

tarnisil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang S550 turbo
Dear all,
in the june issue of an Italian car magazine, called "Automobilismo", they tested a convertible EU EcoBoost.
The results, in terms of power and acceleration, are not what expected:

max power

at the engine: 284,0 hp at 5.160 rpm
at the wheels (III gear): 255,6 hp at 5.390 rpm

max torque

at the engine: 397,6 Nm at 3.400 rpm
at the wheels (III gear): 366,5 Nm at 3.400 rpm

acceleration

0-100 km/h in 6,918 sec

Ford says our car should have 317 hp, 432 Nm and do the 0-100 in 5.8 sec.

I feel cheated, since it seems they sold me a car with much less power... furthermore, at least in Italy, we pay a lot of taxes for each kw above 185...

Do you have any more data? Maybe coming from instrumental tests made in other magazines?

315j42s.jpg
Sponsored

Double

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Ruby Red A10
Vehicle Showcase
That's just one car right ? So maybe just a bad dyno and a bad 0-100 because bad launches ?

Artem

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Artem
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT M/T
I believe for Auto you have to dyno on 4th gear and on manual car 5th gear. That might explain low dyno numbers.

gojensen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ecoboost 'vert
any idea if this is for the automatic transmission or the manual? as I'm a strong believer in the fact that Ford "nerfed" the manual to get under a certain CO2/NOX limit...

OP
OP

tarnisil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang S550 turbo
any idea if this is for the automatic transmission or the manual? as I'm a strong believer in the fact that Ford "nerfed" the manual to get under a certain CO2/NOX limit...
It is an MT.
However, some of us (Italian customers) have been already contacted by Ford: they say the tests done by the magazine are not reliable and offered to "prove" that the car has the power it should have.
Elsewhere, we found many saying that low dyno numbers are probably due to the stock intercooler, which wouldn't allow the engine to perform properly on the dyno.
Concering the 0-100 in 5.8 secs (which seems hard to reach), take a look at this interesting video from Belgium:

[ame]

Sponsored

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
What fuel?

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
That is the first question that needs to be answered. If they are running bottom line octane, then that would equate perfectly with their findings. Science isn't science unless you can prove your work.

cz_smidra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's a red one.
+- 10% is absolutely OK, no need to be worried. It's the question of air temperature, humidity, heat soak etc... your car is fine, mine was the same on dyno.

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EcoBoost MT Race Red EURO - NO MORE
Yeah, it is normal tolerance, the problem is that we pay huge luxury tax based on hp.. 20 EUR for every hp exceeding 285 so +-30 hp is a huge money difference.

Sponsored

Notes

Moustang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BLACK S550 EB/AT/PP/EU
Yeah, it is normal tolerance, the problem is that we pay huge luxury tax based on hp.. 20 EUR for every hp exceeding 285 so +-30 hp is a huge money difference.
So big chance that you are paying to much based on the homologation papers! (317)

MustangMustHaves

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mustangmusthaves.be
First Name
PJ
Vehicle(s)
Euro 2016 Mustang Ecoboost MT Triple Yellow
Fuel and heat I think :)

If they did the testing somewhere last few weeks, I bet they wouldn't even be seeing 250 on a stock car cause of heat soak. That's in Belgium. Imagine Italy.

Plus our fuel (yes, even the premium) is awful. And since the roadtrip I did through italy last year, I think yours is too. I'll post more about it in another thread (or make a new one for it), but after doing measurements since I installed the big turbo turns out even our premium fuel's just crap. Same tests on real good German fuel, car's bulletproof. So poor fuel would easily make you lose those horses (as stated earlier).

ShadowFox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mac
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Holy hell...

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I hate when governments desides to "adjust behavior" by applying high tax rates on things it considers bad.

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EcoBoost MT Race Red EURO - NO MORE
Yeah and it is also against their own interests! Since 2011, when they introduced this stupid tax, the 'high power cars' market had dropped down, near to zero. So they not only don't get this tax, but they also don't get regular road tax, vat on cars sold, vat on gas..
Tehy also destroyed the market for high end mechanics, body shops and all related to luxury\high power cars :-\
Sponsored