2016 DIB Base GT with PP

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
I saw thw same thing. But rest assured, it is an Optical illusion and bad camera angle. Per my level, it is straight vertical.

OP
OP

CoolTech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cooltechllc.com
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford GT - Tungsten Garage Queen
What exactly are the "nutsticks" and how do they work.
As the beam going across the car is literally un-drillable, our installation leverages existing OEM holes already in the beam. The challenge with this is getting access to attach a nut to the backside of the bolt. To accomplish this we use "nut sticks" - see picture below. There are gaps in the way this beam is constructed and you can insert these nut sticks into two different gaps (per side) and maneuver the captured nut end to the back side of the hole. The "stick" prevents the nut from turning as it gets locked into place by the gap it was inserted through.

OP
OP

CoolTech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cooltechllc.com
Vehicle(s)
In your last photo the main hoop upright bars look angled forward. Is this a bad camera angle or is that the how they are?
Thanks again to Ken for his installation photos. The installed roll bar is perfectly vertical and the installation process really prohibits you to get this wrong. The base plates for the main hoop "fix" where the main hoop attaches. The downtubes will now dictate the "angle" of the main hoop - but it is really impossible to get this wrong. Borrowing another picture from Ken's install, you can see below where the down tube (passenger side pictured) butts up against the reinforced vertical wall of the rear shoulder belt re-tractor bulkhead. You don't have an opportunity to move this downtube rearward and you should butt it up against this structure. As such, the main hoop bar will be vertical - (perpendicular) to the sill plates.

Sponsored

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Yeah, it was a tight install and the nutsticks were a PITA, but just takes patience. One thing I did, too was clearance the quarter trim a bit to be able to get to the rear, outside bolt on the upright baseplate a little easier.

Drilling the rear tube baseplate holes from the top with a normal sized drill was a little difficult, especially the outer two holes. I found it best to drill the inner 2 holes, then line the backing plate up using those holes to mark the position of the outter holes.

Install took 2 of us about 6-7 hours. I would definitely recommend a buddy to help.

OP
OP

CoolTech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cooltechllc.com
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Ken - and some good advice all the way around. I wish I could say that installation was a cake walk.... and it would be if this was a race car and no interior trim to worry about and weld instead of bolt, etc. Much easier to do a race car than a street-going car where owners (rightfully) want both the protection and OEM-like aesthetics. Had a recent buyer that was my age (let's just say 50's) and he did the install largely on his own. Man, I have a LOT of respect for that person. This is an install that is best done on a weekend with a buddy and where you supply the beer.

Ken - you need to update your signature and include the roll bar!!

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Thanks Ken - and some good advice all the way around. I wish I could say that installation was a cake walk.... and it would be if this was a race car and no interior trim to worry about and weld instead of bolt, etc. Much easier to do a race car than a street-going car where owners (rightfully) want both the protection and OEM-like aesthetics. Had a recent buyer that was my age (let's just say 50's) and he did the install largely on his own. Man, I have a LOT of respect for that person. This is an install that is best done on a weekend with a buddy and where you supply the beer.

Ken - you need to update your signature and include the roll bar!!
Was that guy named Steve? I'm 44 and my buddy is 38 and we about died in the heat, lol.

Sig updated.

OP
OP

CoolTech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cooltechllc.com
Vehicle(s)
His name is Barrett. Not sure if he posts here on this forum or not. I have total admiration for his mechanical skills and can-do attitude.

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Just an FYI for all the people considering this kit...itis designed to work with OEM recaros. Real FIA rated fixed back seats may or may not have to be raised for proper shoulder harness angles compared to the crossbar location.

I have to raise my seat 1-2 inches to have the correct shoulder harness angle; or get a seat with higher harness holes.

I wish I would have known this prior to installation.

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
Edited
Sponsored