Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
oh look, he found a friend!
IMG_7730.JPG

I have a Ford Racing cat back exhaust, C&L Racer intake in the garage waiting, and a Bama tuner on its way! Here is the intake next to the one from my ILX lol
IMG_7454.JPG

Sponsored

OP
OP
robertwsimpson

robertwsimpson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
Convertibles have extra bracing that goes from the rocker panel area back to the rear subframe area. I can definitely feel the torsional strength that it adds. The car feels way more jittery without it. I'm wondering if I can get away with aftermarket bracing or if I should get the stock piece re shaped somehow...

cgreen5150

cgreen5150
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, Premium, PP, Recaros
Convertibles have extra bracing that goes from the rocker panel area back to the rear subframe area. I can definitely feel the torsional strength that it adds. The car feels way more jittery without it. I'm wondering if I can get away with aftermarket bracing or if I should get the stock piece re shaped somehow...
My bad. I forgot you have a convertible. I would think the aftermarket (Steeda, BMR) would take care of it but you might try reaching out to Alton Johnson here on the forums. He has, or had, one of the nicest convertibles around and might have some good insight for you.

OP
OP
robertwsimpson

robertwsimpson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
Ah after tons of searching, I found his solution. He got the bracing cut and then reshaped and welded back. I am willing to do that if needed, but I think I have another option that might work. I'm going to see if I can make it happen before doing that. Thanks for the help!

I'll also see what bracing there is that's aftermarket and if it might fit without the convertible bracing in the way.

I appreciate the suggestions!

Sponsored
OP
OP
robertwsimpson

robertwsimpson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
Traded out the exhaust for the Ford Racing by Borla Sport.

Up in the air in my garage
Jack Stands.JPG

Anyone able to remove the exhaust without removing these brackets? I don't have an air ratchet and some of these bolts were a pain. Just wondering! In other news, I will be buying an air ratchet!
Brackets.JPG

Got the exhaust off of the car with no help, and I have the sore back to prove it! Anyone in the bay area interested????
Off Car.JPG

The payoff! This is the first chrome that I have removed from my car. Lots more to come!
Black Tips.JPG

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
how high were you able to get the rear with those jack stands and are they on the pinch welds or the jacking rails? seems tight and would make me nervous cranking on bolts while under it. asking cause my exhaust is in the mail to me.... :)

OP
OP
robertwsimpson

robertwsimpson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
The jacks were pretty high... I also felt weird, but I wasn't really cranking on bolts that hard and I made sure not to pull myself in and out using the car. I have an impact gun, so that puts the torque directly onto the bolt instead of pulling the car all around. I also chocked the front wheels so that the car didn't move on me while I was under there. My wife was totally freaked out the whole time, but here I am! The jacks were on the pinch welds. I don't have jacking rails, but I imagine those would work too.

Hope your exhaust goes on easily! I changed mine before 200 miles, so bolts came out very easily!

bigfoot21075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible with Performance Pack
Looks GREAT how do you like the sound? That is pretty high for Jack Stands..... :eyebulge:

OP
OP
robertwsimpson

robertwsimpson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
I love the look!

The sound is awesome! Bordering on too loud, which is perfect. The sound is more high-pitched than I thought it would be, but I love hearing it cackling off of buildings when I'm driving around a down-town area. Can't wait to take it into San Francisco. The heart of the tree hugger empire.
Sponsored