Sponsored

OIL CHANGE ISSUES ON THE V8

Harebear72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V8 GT Fastback
Right people, this has been discussed loads and I think there may now be some light at the end of the tunnel.

Oil replacement for my car.

Car collected new 30/03/16, car then covered approx 2,700 miles in its first six months of ownership and the dash said needed an oil change. I initially was going to do this myself but could not get a filter and when i called my dealer for one they agreed to change the oil and filter and charged me ÂŁ99.00 for this - This was less than I was looking to spend myself and so i was happy.

March 2017 after increasing the mileage to approx 5,300 the oil warning was back on, car into dealers for first service and had the oil and filter changed again.

We are now 8 months down the line and the warning originally came on end of sept - car is now on 8,400 miles.

Anyway, after lengthy discussions with one of the head techs at the service dept the car went in last friday. I was initially told the car may need some software updates. Car was picked up on sat morning and at the moment there is no software update that ford have released but it appears that fords are aware of an issue as more and more owners are reporting this warning, funnily enough the service guy told me he had a call from another owner on the friday morning with the exact same issue as mine and he has told the owner that this is a problem that they are looking into.

Whilst they had my car they checked the existing oil and filter and although the car is telling me of the oil change the oil is still perfectly fine and at this stage they have not reset the oil life, my car is now constantly telling me that it wants the oil changed :(

What the dealer has told me is that the sensor may need some sort of re calibration ??? this is something that apparently ford are working on at the moment. My dealer has not closed off my issue and has all my paperwork and will be checking up on a weekly basis.

I would like to add into this that after all the previous oil changes it has had, the oil life has been reset as I check all the in car settings following its trip to fords.

I did challenge the dealer about the oil change I had a year ago as a waste of money and although he acknowledged this at the moment I have not been offered any refund or compensation. i will keep on top of this and will give any updates once I have them.

In the meantime I suggest that WE ALL refer this issue to our dealers as this may get an update done a lot quicker.
Sponsored

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
Personally I wouldn't rely on a dash light to tell me when to service my car:):)

Why not just change the oil every year or 10k miles, (whichever comes first) and reset the light if it comes on in between..?

FWIW, im a bit old fashioned when it comes to oil changes...

My car oil service history is:-
1500 miles. Oil & Filter... Me
5000 miles. Oil & Filter... Me
10000 miles... service by dealer
15000 miles.... Oil & Filter... me
20000 miles.....service by dealer.... (due soon) currently on 19250 miles

I reset my warning light every time, and it never comes on:D

By the way you collected your car the same day as me..:D

OP
OP
Harebear72

Harebear72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V8 GT Fastback
Enoch, I agree with you mate. I,m a bit of a Car buff and every car I have ever owned either a new or second hand car I always read the owners manual from start to finish and have a handy app on my phone which tells me when the car needs tax, mot, service and insurance so if a manual tells me 10k miles or a year then unless I have done something stupid, then that is the guide I use and abide by.

On the Mustang this ownership has been slightly different. I only found this forum a month before I got my car but visit it almost everyday now.

I have no issue with changing my oil and getting dirty and if truth be told, I do enjoy getting my hands dirty - I have a office Job and sit in front of a PC 5 days a week - Hence typing this now :D

The car Should not need an oil change after 6 months and less than 3000 miles. Its just nice now that hopefully fords seem to have acknowledged there could be an issue with our cars - We can just wait and see.

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
The biggest issue for me is access to the oil filter!
Jack up, remove wheel, pull flap up, double jointed wrist to unscrew filter while getting covered in hot oil. But that’s the easy bit...

Try getting a new primed filter back on at 45 degrees with no visibility of the thread!

Put it this way. There is no way my dealer primed the filter, and i strongly suspect they didn’t change it at all because the flap wasn’t bent and it is now after my change.

Entai

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT kona Blue, A10, Magneride, CP 2. Daily Driver
All modern oil filters are self priming there should be zero need to pre-fill or prime any modern oil filter.

I have worked on many vehicles that have canister filters where only the filter element pops out. Any oil in the filter housing drains completely out as soon as the centre rod gets removed. The centre rod is usually part of the oil canister cap so there is no way to fill the canister without making a total mess. Have seen these engines last well over 300K without using synthetic oil I don't think this is an issue, and most definitely no issues with cartridge filters.

Sponsored

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
The filter is a bit tricky but using one of these makes it a bit easier...:)

As for priming, it's almost impossible, so I don't bother..

Entai

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT kona Blue, A10, Magneride, CP 2. Daily Driver
The biggest issue for me is access to the oil filter!
Jack up, remove wheel, pull flap up, double jointed wrist to unscrew filter while getting covered in hot oil. But that’s the easy bit...

Try getting a new primed filter back on at 45 degrees with no visibility of the thread!

Put it this way. There is no way my dealer primed the filter, and i strongly suspect they didn’t change it at all because the flap wasn’t bent and it is now after my change.
Dealer would never have got the filter out that way, they would have had the car up on a ramp and got at the filter from underneath thus never disturbing the flap you had to bend out of the way.

And like before no need to prime a filter cartridge, just wipe a bit of new clean oil around the 'O' ring seal before fitting the new cartridge.

TimG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT manual
My oil change warning came on this morning 1035 miles & almost 6 months after service, I reset the warning. Mustang not had much summer use as I've been using other cars which are a whole lot less practical than a Mustang.
What is the size of the cap wrench required?

Tim

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
My oil change warning came on this morning 1035 miles & almost 6 months after service, I reset the warning. Mustang not had much summer use as I've been using other cars which are a whole lot less practical than a Mustang.
What is the size of the cap wrench required?

Tim
There you go..:).... I have a few of these on the way so for those interested I will list them in the classifieds when they arrive :)

Sponsored