Sponsored

Whipple Vacuum Leak?

TheHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Performance Pack
Hey guys I have had my whipple on my 2015 GT for 2,000 miles and I haven't had any problems. Today I went for a drive and two minutes into the drive I noticed the boost gauge seemed different than normal. I stepped on the gas and noticed the power wasn't there either. At WOT I was only able to see 3 lbs of boost on the gauge and I usually see around 10. I didn't get any check engine lights and the car ran fine besides not having the normal amount of power. When I got home I looked over everything and didn't see where any lines had popped off. Does anyone have an idea of what exactly to check or tests I can perform to find the culprit? Could it be a bad boost bypass valve?
Sponsored

TooSoonJunior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6
A sudden change like that my first guess would be the bypass, either the line going to it popped off or the bypass diaphragm itself failed.

If you have access to compressed air, I would run a line to the bypass and put some pressure on it, if you hear a loud hissing sound, diaphragm is ripped. If no air leaking, watch the arm of the bypass and ensure it is swinging closed.

OP
OP

TheHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Performance Pack
Thanks. The line going to the bypass was my first guess but it was hooked up just fine. I'm suspecting the bypass went bad, it is just weird since the kit only has a couple thousand miles. I will try putting some compressed air to it and see what happens.

A sudden change like that my first guess would be the bypass, either the line going to it popped off or the bypass diaphragm itself failed.

If you have access to compressed air, I would run a line to the bypass and put some pressure on it, if you hear a loud hissing sound, diaphragm is ripped. If no air leaking, watch the arm of the bypass and ensure it is swinging closed.

brandonalberd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic S550
[MENTION=15578]TheHydro[/MENTION] you ever figure this out? I’m dealing with the same now

OP
OP

TheHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Performance Pack
Everything appeared to be fine but I tried blowing compressed air into the bypass line and disconnected and reconnected all the vacuum lines and it was back to normal.

Sponsored

brandonalberd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic S550
Where’s the bypass line? I’ve been having a cold start throttle issue and experiencing a bit of what you said not having the power there like it was. Trying to determine what it is soZ

OP
OP

TheHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Performance Pack
Where’s the bypass line? I’ve been having a cold start throttle issue and experiencing a bit of what you said not having the power there like it was. Trying to determine what it is soZ
The bypass line that runs under the throttle body to the bypass valve. Are you on the Whipple tune?

brandonalberd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic S550
No. Lund dyno tuned

brandonalberd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic S550
I haven’t had a single issue up until Wednesday I got fuel and then it started hesitating to start, but would and idles weird upon start up. Kits been on the car since 400 miles and it’s got 26K now I’m assuming I have a vacuum leak somewhere

Sponsored

808muscle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Whipple, 2006 GT Blown and cammed
If you have a boost gauge make sure the line isn't leaking.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Dont use full shop pressure air on that line. Only 10-15 psi needed to see it actuate.
Just using mouth I can hear it move.

Badgas can lead to huge throttle limit(which limits boost). Had this happen before on Whipple tune. Was thankful as the tune did its job and saved the motor. Dumped gas to a beater car and got fresh from normal Chevron.

brandonalberd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic S550
Dont use full shop pressure air on that line. Only 10-15 psi needed to see it actuate.
Just using mouth I can hear it move.

Badgas can lead to huge throttle limit(which limits boost). Had this happen before on Whipple tune. Was thankful as the tune did its job and saved the motor. Dumped gas to a beater car and got fresh from normal Chevron.
Well I ran that fuel about out and filled up with 93 from a Shell I trust, and it's not AS bad, but the fuel trims are still all over the place at times. I may pull the TB and check it. Really don't wanna pull the blower off to check the little bypass under it but.

brandonalberd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic S550