Sponsored

engine bay heat extraction

Crackerjack17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
I wonder if you could modify the roush hood scoop or any kind of hood scoop to be open on the back and then cut a hole in the hood to allow heat to be pulled out from the back right above the supercharger.
Likely, but in my view when air rushes over the hood vents, it creates a low pressure area, which "pulls" or relieves underhood pressure so that more air will flow through the existing radiator opening.
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I was thinking about doing this, but would like to retain the ability to use the stock extractor/turn signal thingy and quickly swap out to the extractors at the track.

Does the OEM thing still work with this modification or is that a forgone conclusion?

While I changed to the Roush vents, they do little to no change from the stock setup. However, I gutted the Roush vents and opened up my hood passage as well. My first goal was to help elimate lift but heat is also extracted at a much better rate. I no longer get hood lift at the track and this is speeds up to 140mph. Rain or washing the car is a non issue since my air box is closed on the left and nothing is affected on the right. I also have a grill that allows full flow of air across it.

Before adding edge trim.

Trim protection added.

Grim12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP

Crackerjack17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP

Sponsored

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I am not sure for rain or daily drivers, but I have been thinking about taking the plastic backing out of the hood, the part that goes over the battery and acts like a seal with the hood in the back.

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
I was thinking about doing this, but would like to retain the ability to use the stock extractor/turn signal thingy and quickly swap out to the extractors at the track.

Does the OEM thing still work with this modification or is that a forgone conclusion?
I think you could do both. I still have my stock extractors but don't use them at all. My hood blinker wires are just tucked in that hole near the lower right of the hood in the picture above. I don't see any reason you can't do the hood cut, run the Roush extractors and put the wires away like I do and switch back to the stockers and plug them right back in. Good idea if you want to run both setups.

Sponsored

GGordon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, ProCharged
what is everyone with FI doing to lower the temps under the hood? saw the roush vents that can take the place of the ones on PP hoods but most reviews said they are basically just for looks. any good suggestions? car is 15 GT with PP and stage 2 roush blower. thanks :cheers:
I have a Cervinis Ram Air hood. Has 3x larger heat extractor ports in addition to the large functional twin ram air intake. This hood alone brings my underhood temps down to near ambient temps when the car is anywhere above 35mph.

If you have an intercooler, your frontal airflow will be obstructed...so grille deletes will help the intercooler, but you'll still have reduced overall airflow than a stock GT with more power and more heat buildup. IMO, if you have an intercooler, you'll need a hood option or an underbody air dam of some type to cycle fresh air into the engine bay if heat is an issue for you.
12345.jpg

Code4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT , 1966 Convertible
I followed 908ssp's lead (Thanks for sharing the mod!!!!!, Great Idea!!!!). Seemed the most effective solution.
20170212_175749.jpg
20170212_175807.jpg
20170212_175819.jpg

Z_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Import
I wonder how functional the 2018 heat extractors are?

One of the best designs I've seen is the new Corvette's where the heat from radiator never enters engine bay. That by itself is a huge improvement. and they also have two sides HE for the engine's heat.

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
I cut out more area under my stock vents to where the little rectangular openings are that snap the factory vents into place and made my own vents. Mine look like the Scott Drake vents, but without the screws sticking out the top of them. the stock vents use the outside area of the openings to snap into place, not the inside. So I thought what the heck, I'll cut out more area. As you can see, I can still go back to my factory vents.

My pics got sideways, SH*T!!! But that's the driver's side vent with the factory vent snapped into place, and off. The white area through the opening is my ceiling in the garage.
closedvent.jpg
openvent.jpg
vent.jpg

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
db252 and this guy above...have you guys noticed any temp differences with those cut up like that? Seems like something easy to do and can still fully retain OEM functionality...but if it doesn't do much (besides reduce hood lift) then it's probably not worth my effort as I'm going for purely functional purposes.
Sponsored