Sponsored

Magneride vs. coilovers

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Curious if anyone has an experience with both and how they compare on a track?

I know that on the street the magneride will always ride much better than coilovers due to the wide range of settings, but I'm curious how it does when pushed hard.

Looking at an 18 as a weekend/track day toy as I really like the A10. But the difference between a PP with and without the magneride is $3700. And yes, you get more stuff for that money but not something I really care for in a track car. That $3700 can get me a nice set of coils so I'm wondering if that's a better buy for purely performance on the track.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Curious if anyone has an experience with both and how they compare on a track?

I know that on the street the magneride will always ride much better than coilovers due to the wide range of settings, but I'm curious how it does when pushed hard.

Looking at an 18 as a weekend/track day toy as I really like the A10. But the difference between a PP with and without the magneride is $3700. And yes, you get more stuff for that money but not something I really care for in a track car. That $3700 can get me a nice set of coils so I'm wondering if that's a better buy for purely performance on the track.
That's not necessarily true. Magneride is instantly adaptable to more situations/imperfections, but does not necessarily ride better than a good coilover. The problem with many coilovers is that they're usually sprung too stiff, or have cheaply made dampers. Good coilover dampers with good spring matching can ride extremely well, and those tend to be double adjustable, so you can firm it up for the track. For less than that money you can get Ridetech coilovers, which are awesome.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
MageRide is designed for the street.

While good, a real track oriented coilover setup does more. A smart shock can't fully compensate for too soft spring rates or a higher CG.

For a dual purpose car, it depends on how much you like/mind fiddling with your setup which is better.

Make sure you can add camber up front either way if the car will see a road course and you want decent tire life.
Sponsored