Sponsored

Help me fix my bouncy ride.

S550MG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550
Does anyone else think their lowered pp GT ride rough? When I got the car it was lowered on Eibach Prokit springs and it seemed a little harsh and bouncy. So I proceeded to swap the springs with some Sportlines. Of course the ride got a little more harsh and bouncy.

I’m hoping by upgrading shocks and struts I can tame it a bit. My question is which shocks and struts would y’all recommend to mate up with my Sportlines and why? Thanks for the help.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Two things: 1) are your bumpstops trimmed? They need to be. 2) PP shocks and struts are fine for the Pro kit springs, but not quite enough for the sportlines. Going to sportlines definitely was the wrong way for bounce. If you are intent on keeping those springs, you're much better off with an upgraded damper (Koni, Steeda, Bilstein). If you go back to Pro Kit or BMR performance or Steeda Ultralite, you can run the PP shocks and struts. I would recommend using the billet shock mounts from steeda regardless of which path you take. They greatly reduce/eliminate bounciness because of the spherical bearing in the mount.

OP
OP

S550MG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550
Two things: 1) are your bumpstops trimmed? They need to be. 2) PP shocks and struts are fine for the Pro kit springs, but not quite enough for the sportlines. Going to sportlines definitely was the wrong way for bounce. If you are intent on keeping those springs, you're much better off with an upgraded damper (Koni, Steeda, Bilstein). If you go back to Pro Kit or BMR performance or Steeda Ultralite, you can run the PP shocks and struts. I would recommend using the billet shock mounts from steeda regardless of which path you take. They greatly reduce/eliminate bounciness because of the spherical bearing in the mount.
Thanks for the reply. I didn’t trim the bump stops, but I did use the one supplied with the spring kit. Can you post a link to a how to on trimming the bump stops? Are you supposed to trim the Eibach or factory bump stops? Thanks

Last edited:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the reply. I didn’t trim the bump stops, but I did use the one supplied with the spring kit. Can you post a link to a how to on trimming the bump stops? Are you supposed to trim the Eibach or factory bump stops? Thanks
Eibach factors in the bumpstops into their effective rates, but I am not a fan of that as it's pretty non linear. I would definitely trim your stock ones and use those. Trim per Steeda's instructions for their ultralite linear springs.

OP
OP

S550MG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550
Eibach factors in the bumpstops into their effective rates, but I am not a fan of that as it's pretty non linear. I would definitely trim your stock ones and use those. Trim per Steeda's instructions for their ultralite linear springs.
Unfortunately I don’t have the factory bump stops. The car had the pro kit springs on it when I bought it and already had the Eibach bump stops on it. Maybe a set of factory bump stops wouldn’t be too expensive from a dealer. Or maybe I could just trim the Eibach bump stops.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately I don’t have the factory bump stops. The car had the pro kit springs on it when I bought it and already had the Eibach bump stops on it. Maybe a set of factory bump stops wouldn’t be too expensive from a dealer. Or maybe I could just trim the Eibach bump stops.
They're pretty inexpensive. The only issue with trimming the eibach ones is that they're definitely softer, so trimmed they may not protect the damper with a big impact.

sublimaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium

V8EATR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I can confirm the Steeda billet shock mounts were a huge improvement in the bounciness. I just did it this weekend and what a difference.

OP
OP

S550MG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550
So I did a Black Friday thing. I took advantage and ordered quite a few things from the Steeda website. Adjustable shocks and struts, camber plates, rear shock mounts, adjustable bump stops, and an irs bushing kit to help with wheel hop, even though I don’t ever really launch it hard.

sublimaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
So I did a Black Friday thing. I took advantage and ordered quite a few things from the Steeda website. Adjustable shocks and struts, camber plates, rear shock mounts, adjustable bump stops, and an irs bushing kit to help with wheel hop, even though I don’t ever really launch it hard.
Congrats!
Please post an update after everything is installed :thumbsup:

Sponsored
OP
OP

S550MG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550
Congrats!
Please post an update after everything is installed :thumbsup:

Thanks, I will for sure. I guess I'll start a build thread as well to help document the build. I'm also getting some wheels and tires. This should complete stage one of my "handling upgrades". Stage two next.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I can confirm the Steeda billet shock mounts were a huge improvement in the bounciness. I just did it this weekend and what a difference.
Yep. People doubt it, but they are a big change.

OP, congrats on the upgrades. You'll have a much improved ride and handling.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
^This...

Also, I installed and therefore been in a car with the Prokit springs and PP dampers --- wasn't bouncy. He used the Steeda adjustable bump stops. The supplied Eibach bump stops are the same size as his stock ones. Maybe a softer durometer I guess? I don't know. But we put his Eibach bump stops up against the stock ones because he was considering just returning the Steeda bump stops and they looked the same height, just didn't have the metal band thing, so I used the Steeda bump stops and just used the one half, not the full height. Prokits were a little stiff feeling, though - for what rate they are... that surprised me.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Yep. People doubt it, but they are a big change.

OP, congrats on the upgrades. You'll have a much improved ride and handling.
Hope you 2 are right 'cause I also ordered a set from Steeda.com.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Hope you 2 are right 'cause I also ordered a set from Steeda.com.
Ditto. I’m itchy to see the results.

OP, great upgrade choices. A tip: when aligning your car, let the shop know that the rear wheels can adjust camber with motivation. This way, you can dial-in good numbers for both front (with your camber plates) and back.
Sponsored