Battery trouble

SpArKy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Went out last night to move the stang and found the battery dead. considered jumping it or charging the battery but since it wasn't urgent, i was at home, and i'd paid for Ford assist I thought i'd let them sort it under warranty etc.

so the AA man turns up and basically said that because I'd left the doors open for about 30 minutes while i was loading a car load of cardboard (woes of a daily driver :( ), that all the ECU's etc would have been on for this time and draining power, also said that they remain on for another 40 minutes or so after leaving the car.....?? I didn't turn anything on myself in the car, just the doors & boot open for no more than 30 minutes.

does this sound a realistic explanation? I've done this several times and never had a problem and surely anyone who gives their cars a proper interior clean would experience this too? just smells a bit fishy. he did show me all the battery read outs etc from all his gizmos and told me they were all perfectly normal and a healthy battery.

ta
Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=24944]SpArKy[/MENTION] I've had mine die numerous times, it's usually been post putting my accessport in and that sometimes stays on after the car has shut off, other times traced back to GF flicking on one of the map lights.

Generally speaking the car shuts off 90% of electrical gizmos after about 10mins of engine off, if key is in the car, if key isn't it's whatever you set it at, usually about 30 seconds and will lock itself.

The other 10% are things like alarm, tilt sensors, the keyless entry trying to hunt for signal etc, but these are stupidly low power so would take weeks to cause a drain.

I've had ford assist out 3 times for the battery, the other 2 times I had jump leads. I now leave jump leads in the garage just in case.

Sometimes you can find that the key battery is low, and will require you to lift up the further back cup holder (closest to arm rest), remove the rubber place mat, and put the key in that hole. Sometimes allows you to turn the engine on and atleast get the alternator cranking to charge the battery.

Couple of things to check when you turn your car on now: Map lights off? Sidelights/headlights switched to off, and when you lock the car, is it set to full guard or not?

I'd guess your AA man is right about loading the car for 30mins, you'll have had map lights and probably the boot light on for that duration along with other "none light" work electrics. Mind you, radio etc turns off when door is opened (& engine off)

OP
OP
SpArKy

SpArKy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
[MENTION=24944]SpArKy[/MENTION] I've had mine die numerous times, it's usually been post putting my accessport in and that sometimes stays on after the car has shut off, other times traced back to GF flicking on one of the map lights.

Generally speaking the car shuts off 90% of electrical gizmos after about 10mins of engine off, if key is in the car, if key isn't it's whatever you set it at, usually about 30 seconds and will lock itself.

The other 10% are things like alarm, tilt sensors, the keyless entry trying to hunt for signal etc, but these are stupidly low power so would take weeks to cause a drain.

I've had ford assist out 3 times for the battery, the other 2 times I had jump leads. I now leave jump leads in the garage just in case.

Sometimes you can find that the key battery is low, and will require you to lift up the further back cup holder (closest to arm rest), remove the rubber place mat, and put the key in that hole. Sometimes allows you to turn the engine on and atleast get the alternator cranking to charge the battery.

Couple of things to check when you turn your car on now: Map lights off? Sidelights/headlights switched to off, and when you lock the car, is it set to full guard or not?

I'd guess your AA man is right about loading the car for 30mins, you'll have had map lights and probably the boot light on for that duration along with other "none light" work electrics. Mind you, radio etc turns off when door is opened (& engine off)
thanks bud, that's reassuring. he definitely sounded convincing.

annoyingly, i have jump leads, but they are in the boot under the carpet. The boot obviously wouldn't open and the car was, unfortunately, full of cardboard so I wasn't keen on unloading all of that to get access to the boot from the inside :headbonk: i also wanted reassurance that the battery was healthy so ford assist seemed the sensible option.

good to know that it's relatively normal.

Nookie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 GT
????

I frequently have my doors open for over 2 hours when I'm detailing/valeting the car, and also my dash cam is permanently plugged into the socket beneath the toggle switches and always left to 'overrun' (which is a good 80-90 minutes) when I switch off and leave or lock the car, and I've never had a hint of an issue with the battery.

Sorry... but personally I think that's BS on the part of the AA man... a modern battery dying after 30 minutes because you had a door/doors open! Doesn't say much for the quality of the product [battery] if that's the case!

Sponsored

OP
OP
SpArKy

SpArKy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
????

I frequently have my doors open for over 2 hours when I'm detailing/valeting the car, and also my dash cam is permanently plugged into the socket beneath the toggle switches and always left to 'overrun' (which is a good 80-90 minutes) when I switch off and leave or lock the car, and I've never had a hint of an issue with the battery.

Sorry... but personally I think that's BS on the part of the AA man... a modern battery dying after 30 minutes because you had a door/doors open! Doesn't say much for the quality of the product [battery] if that's the case!
no no no. i was reassured, now i'm not lol

that was my reaction too, people spend hours cleaning inside etc, surely this would be a 'thing' yet i can't find much online about it at all.

i'm sure i've sat in the car for 15-20 minutes listening to the stereo too (a far bigger drain) and never had an issue :crazy:

TheArcher

Mky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
Just a thought - I drive mine quite infrequently and was finding that the battery was low/dead after maybe 5 or 6 days. I've now figured out that the glove compartment light wasn't switching off and I believe stays on permanently if not switched off by its switch. I added a rubber nipple to the switch to extend it slightly and the increased pressure ensures closing of the compartment does now activate the switch. I used the video recorder on my phone to see what was happening (or not) when I closed it up. If this was a problem on my new vehicle, then I assume there'll be other guys out there with the same issue but probably unaware of it.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Just a thought - I drive mine quite infrequently and was finding that the battery was low/dead after maybe 5 or 6 days. I've now figured out that the glove compartment light wasn't switching off and I believe stays on permanently if not switched off by its switch. I added a rubber nipple to the switch to extend it slightly and the increased pressure ensures closing of the compartment does now activate the switch. I used the video recorder on my phone to see what was happening (or not) when I closed it up. If this was a problem on my new vehicle, then I assume there'll be other guys out there with the same issue but probably unaware of it.
That's a new one to me! Didn't even know there was a switch! :lol:

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
That's a new one to me! Didn't even know there was a switch! :lol:
It's a great spot to be fair, if the fault with the switch is common, it would explain a lot of peoples issues.

Genius troubleshooting using the video on a phone :hail:

marino13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang, Porsche 911
I was actually going to ask something on this myself. My car is garaged (albeit with the electric door not completely closing...) and will only be used in winter months on a weekend day and then only if decent weather.

How long can I realistically expect the battery to hold charge and start? My Porsche is an absolute nightmare and lasts a day or two if its not run.

I have a trickle charger to put on it but it will mean a lot of messing about and installing in the garage due to the width constraints i.e. I can't get down the side... so just wondered if the cars unused and locked what other people's experiences have been?

Sponsored

marino13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang, Porsche 911
Pic of Garage door - aiming to get some black heavy duty rubber to go over the bottom section.

Note happy Mustang, very unhappy 911...
Garage.png

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Vert Race Red ord 26/03/15 del 24/03/16
I was actually going to ask something on this myself. My car is garaged (albeit with the electric door not completely closing...) and will only be used in winter months on a weekend day and then only if decent weather.

How long can I realistically expect the battery to hold charge and start? My Porsche is an absolute nightmare and lasts a day or two if its not run.

I have a trickle charger to put on it but it will mean a lot of messing about and installing in the garage due to the width constraints i.e. I can't get down the side... so just wondered if the cars unused and locked what other people's experiences have been?
Mine lasts weeks. No problem .

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I broke a collar bone and couldn't drive the Mustang (manual tranny) for over a month.

It started just like I had driven it the day before. There is no reason that the battery should go dead after the doors being open for 30 minutes.

That being said the absorbed glass may batteries they are putting in cars these days will just take a dump with no warning and many times you can't even jump them.

You would be shocked how expensive they are too. Cheap ones are $150ish and good ones are over $200.

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic

Mine lasts weeks. No problem .
Mine sits for a month at a time and starts on the button when I go to it, no problem.
Yup, weeks with no problem.
Sponsored