Sponsored

S550 Coilovers

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
rear damper bearing binding ? shame steeda don't do their mount to fit the pedders shaft! [MENTION=22385]Steeda UK[/MENTION]
Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
rear damper bearing binding ? shame steeda don't do their mount to fit the pedders shaft! [MENTION=22385]Steeda UK[/MENTION]
Im not even gonna pretend to know where that is on them lol... wanna pop down and have a look, if gibbo comes you can have a geek fest on suspension :p!

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
Im not even gonna pretend to know where that is on them lol... wanna pop down and have a look, if gibbo comes you can have a geek fest on suspension :p!
haha you guys don't live anywhere near me unfortunately.

it'll either be these things binding (these are the steeda upgraded ones they don't do them in 13mm which is what pedders needs :( )
https://www.steeda.co.uk/steeda-s550-mustang-billet-rear-shock-mount-c2x21234970

Or it'll be the lca bearing lose/binding at a guess again upgrades to spherical is the way to go once you've dropped it on coilovers almost all the standard bushes will be binding like nuts, some cars are more so prone to it than others mine for example binds on just steeda springs others with full pedders kits not a squeek.
Also who fitted your suspension did they remember to redo all the pre-loads on the bind points and did they chop the stock bump stops down ?

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
haha you guys don't live anywhere near me unfortunately.

it'll either be these things binding (these are the steeda upgraded ones they don't do them in 13mm which is what pedders needs :( )
https://www.steeda.co.uk/steeda-s550-mustang-billet-rear-shock-mount-c2x21234970

Or it'll be the lca bearing lose/binding at a guess again upgrades to spherical is the way to go once you've dropped it on coilovers almost all the standard bushes will be binding like nuts, some cars are more so prone to it than others mine for example binds on just steeda springs others with full pedders kits not a squeek.
Also who fitted your suspension did they remember to redo all the pre-loads on the bind points and did they chop the stock bump stops down ?
Ah top mount, yep. They're fine, I checked over the stock ones, they look fine from the outside, seated fine etc etc.

LCA bearing, not a clue again, im a novice with suspension.

Pedders UK actually fitted it all, including less heavy springs on the front due to the lighter front end, which was a nice touch.
I'd driven a few thousand miles before the knocks started happening, it's more like a dull thud noise to be honest. the only other issue I get is sometimes when turning the wheel I get a weird metal sounding 'donk' not sure what that is but I assume my wheels are out of alignment and catching on something or somethings seized up/busted (??).

Tegiwa are gonna have a look at it on Saturday, will see what a pro says, as I said, there's people far more knowledgeable on suspension and that kind of stuff, it's not something I particularly know well and happy to admit that :thumbsup:.

You have a stang, no drive is too far lol! :lol:

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
a donk/clunk on full lock is usually something binding or a preload not set properly after lowering if it was something catching it'd be doing it all the time a bind can be intermittant front control arms just need slackening on the bolts and re-torquing and it should go away.

Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
a donk/clunk on full lock is usually something binding or a preload not set properly after lowering if it was something catching it'd be doing it all the time a bind can be intermittant front control arms just need slackening on the bolts and re-torquing and it should go away.
Roger that! on it, I'm more worried about the rears. But mainly the issues have happened since tracking the car at Silverstone. So not sure if running dampening on street setup (5 from hard (R) and 8 from hard (F) caused it)

OP
OP
Gloucesternige

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT, GR Yaris, SWB Defender, Harley.
Interesting reading. The biggest issue with BC coilovers is knocking and clunking.

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
Interesting reading. The biggest issue with BC coilovers is knocking and clunking.
I'm pretty sure you're an engineer are you not ? should be able to work out where stuff is out of tolerance :) its mostly a case of bushings having being torqued down and set for +- 5 degrees from resting under load but by lowering your already starting at say -8 degrees from set rest so thats what the preload is all about slacken them off let them pick up new zero point and retorque fixes most problems.
The other problems are stuff like the binding where the bolt is hitting the edge of the bush mounting usually because the bushes are too soft or simply don't have the movement required for a lowered car thats why all the spherical stuff is so awesome :) more movement but more rigidity at same time.

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
What's the fix on BC's for it? or is it just common? The other pedders users aren't having that issue, one reporting lose twist cogs on dampeners causing it but shortly after retightening, was fine.

I'll probably WFH one of the days this week and I can get the car up and have another poke around down there. :shrug:. As of right now, when I get home it's dark and cold so I can't be azzed to do it lol.

So my thinking to check:

1) Hubs
2) Loosening top mounts and remounting
3) Losesning Front Control arms and retorqueing
4) rechecking the rear spring seating

Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Gloucesternige

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT, GR Yaris, SWB Defender, Harley.
Yes I am an engineer, and a petrol head. I fully understand and agree that the bushings should be loosened and retorted to compensate for the new ride height. I have always done this myself.
I'm not sure spherical bearings are such a good idea on a road car though? Especially the cheap Chinese crap that most seem to supply these days.
I think most of the BC knocking issues are down to spring seats rattling around?

Do the Pedders come with front top mounts?

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Yes I am an engineer, and a petrol head. I fully understand and agree that the bushings should be loosened and retorted to compensate for the new ride height. I have always done this myself.
I'm not sure spherical bearings are such a good idea on a road car though? Especially the cheap Chinese crap that most seem to supply these days.
I think most of the BC knocking issues are down to spring seats rattling around?

Do the Pedders come with front top mounts?
you also need to take a trip up from glouc's to my area and come help me out lol, I pay with coffee, and food :thumbsup::lol:.
Jokes aside, hopefully give this a go tomorrow.

Front top mounts? not sure see: https://www.americanmuscle.com/pedders-extreme-xa-coilovers-1517.html

As for spring seating, any idea how I would tell it's not seated right? take it I'd have to check in the actual spring seat.

i'll grab a photo of the spring, in seat tonight, as I should be able to reach my hand in there and do it.

Whilst at it i'll grab some pictures of other things and see if any of the wizards here can source the issue based on images :shrug:

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
you may not be able to spin the spring to seat properly without slacking load off or using a set of spring compressors if its the fronts.

Its not just bc/pedders having these issues all cars can have them when lowered depending on how their suspension is setup just seems mustang setup is more prone than others I had nightmare problem with blitstein setup on my track car sounded like the strut was going to punch out of the tower changed over to koni and never looked back.
[MENTION=27831]Gloucesternige[/MENTION] good quality sphericals should be fine on a road car. while we're talking suspension though I seem to remember you can turn your own metal can't you ? if you can go with pedders suspension and get a set of steeda top mounts and work out the specs needed to turn a new insert collar to support the 13mm pedders shaft since steeda seem to refuse to do it themselves you'd have a whole market just to your self selling little inserts :)

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
you may not be able to spin the spring to seat properly without slacking load off or using a set of spring compressors if its the fronts.

Its not just bc/pedders having these issues all cars can have them when lowered depending on how their suspension is setup just seems mustang setup is more prone than others I had nightmare problem with blitstein setup on my track car sounded like the strut was going to punch out of the tower changed over to koni and never looked back.
@Gloucesternige good quality sphericals should be fine on a road car. while we're talking suspension though I seem to remember you can turn your own metal can't you ? if you can go with pedders suspension and get a set of steeda top mounts and work out the specs needed to turn a new insert collar to support the 13mm pedders shaft since steeda seem to refuse to do it themselves you'd have a whole market just to your self selling little inserts :)
I'd buy some that's for sure.

Springs if it's a clunk, will be on the rears, not the fronts. I've not actually played with the fronts, yet, only the rears as that's more prominent. :lol:. So i'll check the seating on the rears. I'll leave the fixing it bit to Tegiwa on sat.
Sponsored