Sponsored

Winter Rubber

Flamesey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY19 Fastback V8 5.0 Race Red White Stripes Custom Pack 2 Magneride Spoiler Ebony
The last month or so I’ve been seeing a lovely new grabber blue white stripe MY17 in the bridgend area. Anyhow we had torrential rain on the M4 Tuesday night and my mate told me today that he passed it on the M4 ..it was on the hard shoulder pointing in the wrong direction. Sounds like a spin off and change of underpants ie a pirelli poo pants scenario .:ford:
Sponsored

Cypress98

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 5.0 GT Auto
Hi,

The Story so far, email Ford, who suggested that I go back to the dealer :frusty:

So asked if I was going to a country that required the use of winter tyres what would they suggest!

Waiting for a reply . . . .

Paul;

Flamesey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY19 Fastback V8 5.0 Race Red White Stripes Custom Pack 2 Magneride Spoiler Ebony
Maybe they’ll suggest it is kept in the garage and brought out in the spring:headbonk::frusty:

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Just mounted these this morning. Yokohama IceGuard. Initial impression is very good on cold dry pavement. The P-Zeros on these cold mornings are like hockey pucks and all over the road. Had Dunlap Winter MAXX on my 15 Mustang, they worked well to.

Sponsored

TimG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT manual
A technical query to Ford Customer relations came back with reply that they were unable to recommend on winter tyres, consult your dealer. This is despite the fact the magazine road test car was on winters. Perhaps asking Ford in Austria or Switzerland would get an answer.
Last time I asked Ford a tech query they responded that they could not answer tech queries despite tech queries being on the drop down list. Come on Ford join the dots!

Spider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 GT MY19 Bullitt
Had a little incident on the motorway today. Accelerating from 50 in 5th out of the roadworks and the back end snaked. A bit of an buttock clenching moment. :D

3 degrees C and damp

I like to get the car sideways and drift round corners (when conditions permit) it's part of the fun but not on the motorway and not in a straight line. I think winter tyres are wot I need not these skates. Or some all season rubber.

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
Had a little incident on the motorway today. Accelerating from 50 in 5th out of the roadworks and the back end snaked. A bit of an buttock clenching moment. :D

3 degrees C and damp

I like to get the car sideways and drift round corners (when conditions permit) it's part of the fun but not on the motorway and not in a straight line. I think winter tyres are wot I need not these skates. Or some all season rubber.
Until you can get new tyres. Drive it like you have an egg under the pedal:cheers:

Cypress98

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 5.0 GT Auto
Hi,

Latest from Ford, winter tyres should be the same size, load rating and speed rating as those fitted to the car and specified in the manual!

Hmmm, don’t think you can get Y rated winter tyres!!! Asked for a suggestion on what to use as I can’t find winters in that spec in U.K.

Let’s see what happens next.

Paul

Sponsored

Mike Clark

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Jaguar XF SportBrake, Jeep Renegade, GT 'vert
Hi,
Hmmm, don’t think you can get Y rated winter tyres!!! Asked for a suggestion on what to use as I can’t find winters in that spec in U.K.
My Jag XF has OEM Dunlop SportMaxx's with that also have a Y rating. Whilst it's a 3l Bi Turbo Diesel, it's never going to hit the max speed of it's tyres as its limited to 155.

I've just put on it's Winter Tyres, also Dunlop, but in this case they're SP WinterSport 4D's. They are W rated (168MPH), so they still exceed the max speed of the car and they have the same load rating (97) as the SportMaxx's

I did ask the insurance firm, and they were happy that they tyres were that same size and load rating. They too were of the opinion that in the UK, that as the Winters were still capable of hitting twice the limit, they were acceptable.

If I had the Mustang as a Daily Driver, then I'd have no issue fitting the V rated tyres mentioned by the others to the car.

Mike

23TGrabberBlue

Grabber Blue Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY2017 EcoBoost Grabber Blue
So ... if you're fitting winter tyres it needs to be a declared mod, seeing as it won't be the correct speed rating. I guess this could also effect your warraty if Ford want to be really picky! Great.

If you go down that route, can you drop down a wheel size to say 18" rims? Would they fit over the discs and calipers? Looking on eBay there are some good deals for 18" rims with winter tyres, nothing for 19" wheels that I can see.

I'd planned to get a hack but time is running out, I've only had Sunday's to go and look at cars and most bottom end of the market dealers don't open on Sundays! Tonight's drive was just about manageable, if it drops below freezing with the roads as wet as they are around here, I'll be asking for lifts to work!! :(

Mike Clark

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Jaguar XF SportBrake, Jeep Renegade, GT 'vert
Here is what Admiral have to say on the subject:

Will they affect my insurance?
Your insurance doesn’t change if you change to winter tyres. If you do decide to get your tyres changed, you don’t need to contact your insurance provider as long as it’s only the tyres that have been changed.

If the entire wheel has been replaced, you will need to contact your insurance provider.

If you do decide to change with the seasons, you must change all four tyres! Any less will affect the overall balance of your vehicle and the grip on the road surface.
And here is a list from the ABI of Insurance companies and their policy on Winter Tyres.

HTH

Mike

23TGrabberBlue

Grabber Blue Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY2017 EcoBoost Grabber Blue
Thanks for the info. As an Admiral customer I do recall having read that or something similar before. Clearly it's only an issue if you change the rim size.

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I've just had Nokian WRA4s fitted. Load rating of 100 and speed rating V (149mph) About £170 a corner.
Sponsored