Sponsored

Putting the car into drive right after starting it.

Elgyn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ecoboost, MT, DIB, Premium, PP
Usually start it, rev to red-line and drop it from N into D. Really impresses the high school boys.
I think there's a politically correct pedophilia joke in there somewhere:D Id say it but some snowflake might get offended:censored:

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
I usually wait until RPM drops to normal level (around 1k). If I'm in a rush 5-10 seconds at least before shifting out of Park. As others have said, allows fluids to start flowing and a slight rise in temp before putting it into Drive.

That being said even if you do it in less than 5 seconds, you still probably wont break anything for a long time. Plenty of people do this and take off not even caring out keeping RPMs low and their car still lasts several hundred thousand miles.

Thank's for the replies. I generally start driving about 30 to 45 seconds after I start the car and I keep the RPM's low on the road until it's warmed up. What I do is shift the car into gear within 5 seconds or so of the initial start, then I let it sit for another 30-45 seconds before driving. So, I don't immediately shift it into drive and start driving right away, I mainly just shift into gear to get the sound down. Basically, to clarify, I start the car, shift into drive/reverse within 5 seconds to tone the sound down, then let the car idle another 30-45 seconds in reverse, before slowly backing out of the driveway. Sorry if my comment was confusing.
Sounds like you have a good system. I personally would wait just a little longer than 5 seconds to shift is all.

DFWStangGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2019 Oxford White GT
This thread is exactly why Ford is now offering active exhaust in the MY18, lol. You won't have to worry about pissing the neighbors off with the quiet mode then switch to another mode after you get down the street.

jdoug

Regular Guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10
Why do you put it in gear and THEN let it idle down? I keep it in park while letting it do that, then put it into gear and go.

Sponsored

Double

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Ruby Red A10
Vehicle Showcase
Shouldn't. Toque convertor will soften the the hit on the actual transmission.
Although I would still let it idle for about 10 seconds just to get the fluids in the transmission circling.
But will the transmission pump even run if the car is not in drive ?

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
This thread is exactly why Ford is now offering active exhaust in the MY18, lol. You won't have to worry about pissing the neighbors off with the quiet mode then switch to another mode after you get down the street.
I remember having a catted BBK X-pipe, and Borla Stingers on my Mach1 and still living with my parents. I would come home at 3AM, drive RIGHT past my parents window so I was maybe 20ft from my sleeping moms head, and she wouldn't hear me AT ALL.

I'd get home, close my room door and watch TV. 2hrs later she would wake up to pee, then blame my loud TV watching, that I could barely hear in my room that's on a totally different floor, for waking her up.
Sponsored