Sponsored

Harrop stage 1 anyone?

knaps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Hi all,

I have been considering Harrop's stage 1 (which is really just an ECU tune and CAI since I'm already running Corsa Sport cat-back), but wanted to check has anyone here done this exact built before, is it even worth it or are there better alternatives in the similar price range?

They claim 330kw (at the engine), which I thought our Mustangs were not too far from anyways?

The exact package is detailed here: https://www.harrop.com.au/shop/harrop-stage-1-330kw

Cheers!
Sponsored

miro67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 build GT Convertible
A couple of comments, noting these are opinions i.e. make your own mind up.

Firstly, the stock air intake is considered pretty well designed. A CAI probably has no noticable improvement over merely installing a K&N panel filter ($100) (unless you want to later push for much larger performance gains where a CAI will add some value).

A Lund tune from the USA including an NGuage is about $900 aussie. Lund are one of the biggest (if not the biggest) Mustang tuners in the USA where Mustangs are common -as opposed to uncommon here. The Lund tune comes with 3 months free adjustments to the tune.

So for $1000 you will get the same if not maybe better than the Harrop Stage 1.

Again, just an opinion.

And finally, whatever way you go, yes it worth it!

OP
OP
knaps

knaps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Thanks mate, that's kind of advise I'm looking for!

I have heard about NGuage before, but don't know many specifics - I imagine that's something that needs to be installed by a proper tune shop? Do you know are there many places around that can perform Lund tune like this?

miro67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The NGuage just plugs into your OBD port (about knee height on the right side of the drivers footwell). The first tune takes about 8 minutes to install (after the first tune it takes about 4 minutes to install a different tune) and requires absolutely zero technical skill. You then unplug the NGuage and drive off into the sunset!

If you want to, you can leave the NGuage installed full time and most often they are installed into the centre aircon vent (it is designed to fit in that circular space). The Nguage lets you read a whole lot of technical car stuff in real time -I have no interest in that stuff so i havent installed mine.

Have alook on the Lund website.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
How have you found the process for sending info to Lund and installing subsequent tunes?

Sponsored

miro67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Brilliant I ha e sent them about thirty emails and every morning I have a response. I ha e three tunes so far and ha e received each the next day after requesting it. Very good customer service so far.

The only issue I have had is that you need to do a run in third gear for further tuning and that means you need to go very fast. I am using a dyno instead.

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
I sent Lund an email two days ago but have yet to hear a response. Probably due to the weekend but their communication system seems to be very good.

For those who ordered through Lund, do you select 91-93 RON? I assume they need to tune for our Aus spec cars and fuel but there is no option for this in their drop down menus.

miro67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They are all away at the races this week so things are a bit slow.

And yes you tell them you are in Oz and they give you an Oz tune.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Hi all,

I have been considering Harrop's stage 1 (which is really just an ECU tune and CAI since I'm already running Corsa Sport cat-back), but wanted to check has anyone here done this exact built before, is it even worth it or are there better alternatives in the similar price range?

They claim 330kw (at the engine), which I thought our Mustangs were not too far from anyways?

The exact package is detailed here: https://www.harrop.com.au/shop/harrop-stage-1-330kw

Cheers!
Ask them to quantify the gains of the tune and CAI, back to back with the tune and stock airbox, with the hood closed. If they haven't done that, ask if they made a restriction comparison between the CAI and stocker with the hood closed. Also ask how well it seals out hot air and how inlet temps compare; if they say it reduces temps ask if that's open road or street driving. Lots of posts on here about stock airbox vs CAI and minimal gains with CAI plus higher intake temps at lower speeds. If they can't/won't provide data or start dancing around, think twice. Harrop make good stuff so none of this should be too hard for them to answer.

FWIW I'm yet to find a K&N that measurably, consistently flows better than the same pattern oem panel filter to the extent that the purchase cost and messing around cleaning and re-oiling is justified, but I'm very happy to be corrected.

Interesting that they leave the convoluted section of the intake in place, which surprises me as that stuff is usually bad for flow.

Fair bit of discussion here, might be of use:

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57377&highlight=CAI+gains

My 2c.
Sponsored

Last edited: