Sponsored

*MT-82 upgraded* but what does it mean ?

OP
OP
Double

Double

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Ruby Red A10
Vehicle Showcase
MGW + BG Syncroshift II and I doubt you'd have any complaints about it. Super slick, smooth, and precise.
But to try and get back on topic all these are mods when talking about the MT82 what would the 2018 Ford upgrades do because these mods do not change what will be upgraded by Ford. So results will be different between Ford upgrades and any mod.
Sponsored

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
If I were to guess what the upgrades change in terms of feeling VS the current transmission when it comes to all the gripes and complaints on here is nothing. The changes are probably mostly for durability and a little engagement possibly.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
It's a very notchy, buzzy tranny but I have only missed one shift from 3-4 because I tried to finger throw it in at 6k. The car is easier to shift at higher rpms to me.

csmaan12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Oxford White
I'm going to go ahead and back up the MT82 in this car. I've driven a few other RWD drive manuals, and this one has felt the best to me. Including 2 2013 Camaros, one V8 one V6, though I'm pretty sure those aren't remote shifters they had a decent slop to them when in gear. It is notchy when cold, but I'll be swapping the fluid to BG which I heard fixes that. Oh I've also driven an 08 GT500, which felt nice but goddamn the clutch on that gave me a workout.

Now the next one isn't a beefy V8, but my friend's genesis coupe SUCKS in the transmission department. He does have a short shifter, and the damn knob is practically inside the shift boot, but that shit is so notchy it's unbelievable. It takes significant effort to get it into any gear and when you do it's like this unpleasant click into gear. I let him drive my car and he loves the MT82, particularly how easy it is to shift, and how stable the shifter feels.

Sponsored

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
Now the next one isn't a beefy V8, but my friend's genesis coupe SUCKS in the transmission department. He does have a short shifter, and the damn knob is practically inside the shift boot, but that shit is so notchy it's unbelievable. It takes significant effort to get it into any gear and when you do it's like this unpleasant click into gear. I let him drive my car and he loves the MT82, particularly how easy it is to shift, and how stable the shifter feels.
Has he ever had it looked at? My cousin's while not the best in the world isn't much worse than the 3650 I had before I went with an MGW.

csmaan12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Oxford White
Has he ever had it looked at? My cousin's while not the best in the world isn't much worse than the 3650 I had before I went with an MGW.
He took it to Hyundai a few times, but they basically told him to piss off because his car is at this point full bolt ons and dyno tuned. Even before that they were less than helpful.

He did swap the fluid which made shifts feel a little better, but I'm thinking it's because how short his shifter is. It's practically inside the shift boot lol, and the 500g shift ball he has barely makes a difference.

I have also driven one with a stock shifter and although it has more leverage and it's easier, it still has that annoying click into gear. Never mind how stupid light the clutch is. The MT82 just goes right in with a flick, don't even think any modifications to the shifter are necessary other than maybe tightening it up with available brackets/bushings.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Mine handled more than that for years. When it blew up however, I replaced it with a Tremec. LOL.
Mine lasted 200k miles with hundreds of passes at the strip. Stock torque was 300lb-ft and the tranny was quite adequate. I still believe it to be one of the best shifting transmissions. It wasn't notchy, just buttery smooth going into gear. Missing a shift was almost impossible. After the I threw the twins on and had over 500lb-ft at the wheels, it gave up 3rd after a few months. The 3550 that I replaced it with felt precise, but didn't have the confidence inspiring shifting that the T5 had.

jmruss0573

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rcd3d.com.au
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Manual
I had a T56 in my XR6 Turbo Falcon was a nice shifter after blowing my T5! The MT82 in my mustang feels very similar to the T56.
Both were notchy shifting when cold but got nicer when it warmed up, MT82 Does the same when its cold.

Have also noticed if you punch the throttle and rev over 5K and shift gears it becomes very loose shifting!

Mine only has 5000 miles on it though so maybe not a good reference point just yet!

Intrepid175

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
I feel like the MT82 hate is overplayed and blown way out of proportion.

In very high HP and/or high revving applications there are some issues, but for regular/spirited/basic-modification levels of performance it doesnt have any issues.
I wonder about that too. I'd like a manual but am not apposed to the automatic. I'll test drive both before making a decision but I've read a number of comments on both sides of the argument. Some have nothing good to say about the M82 while others can't stop singing it's praises. It's hard to know who to believe.

????
Steve R.

Sponsored

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
The MT82 seems a bit notchy in stock form. The shifter is some of that, and when cold even moreso. Improving on the shifter (many ways to do it) should be the first order of business for a manual driver trying to get all they can out of the car.

With the '18, who knows? One thing worth paying attention to will be any changes on the '18 that current 6th gen owners could retrofit to their cars.

Intrepid175

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
I picked up a 2016 GT convertible w/6-speed manual a couple of months ago. It took me a while to get the hang of smoothly shifting the thing. I'm a lot better about it now but still pull off a few jerky shifts from time to time.

One thing i noticed about the shifter fairly early on is, compared to other manual transmissioned cars I've owned, the spacing between the 1-2 line, the 3-4 line, and the 5-6 line is relatively tight. The first time I did a near redline shift from 2nd to 3rd, I totally missed it. I tried guiding the shift lever from 2nd to 3rd directly with my hand and wound hitting the gate between the 3-4 line and the 5-6 line. What I've found since then is that the gear shift is spring loaded to line up with the 3-4 line. If, during the shift, I come forward out of 2nd and let the lever naturally center itself, then push forward to 3rd, it works just fine. The operative word for me is finesse, don't manhandle it. Beyond that, under normal driving I find the feel of the shifter to be very smooth unless I get careless, but that's not the cars fault.

TexArmageddon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette
Doesn't the revised MT-82 have 2 overdrives now? IF so, I probably wouldn't touch it.

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
all that duel mass fw is gunna do is make driving it easier,less vibration, more weight on the fw.. i had a dm fw in one of my legacy gt,s soon as i did down pipe exhaust and tune. it started slipping in 3rd gear pulls and it only had 20k miles when all that was done. and the po was a older guy in his 60s so im sure he didnt..beat the hell out of before hand
unless there dm fw is any diff its not going to handle much over stock power for to long.i switched it to a wrx fw and stage 3 clutch.. still going strong and its been 4 yrs.. sold it to my buddy who still drives it

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
I had a MT-82 in my 2011 Mustang GT with 600 rwhp. I changed the bushing in the shifter from a foam like material to a Poly. 12$. That car shifted excellent. I owned it for 27K miles, hundreds of 1/4 drag strip runs with summer tires and drag radials. Excellent transmission that took serious abuse with zero hiccups. I had a very stiff clutch in the car but never gave a problem. Changing the transmission fluid to full synthetic did make a difference. No buzzing. As Intrepid 175 stated, you have to let the shifter find 3rd and 5th, not force it. Smooth, quick shifts. If the Bullitt I want to buy shifts that good, I will be very happy. The MT-82 has gotten a bad rap just like the big hype over the cylinder 8 problem of a few years ago and the opgs of today. These are rare problems, not the average car.
Sponsored