Sponsored

How much old oil is left in an engine after an oil change?

RadBOSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 BOSS302, 29 Model A Roadster
Great tip about pouring some new oil in at the end to flush out the last of the old, like that methodology and will certainly utilize this trick in the future :thumbsup:

Question for you though regarding draining the oil hot Scott, I've always drained mine at slightly warm temperatures, but never at full operating temperatures. I know that the oil absorbs a lot of the heat generated by the engine, but is there any cause for concern with draining the oil when the engine is at full operating temperature? I am thinking that once the oil drains, even though steel/aluminum does not retain heat well, that the internals would still be significantly hot after the oil was drained. Having no medium to transfer the heat to could potentially weaken the steel the over time, especially considering it takes a good while for the oil to completely drain? Have you considered this or do you think it would be a reason not to perform the oil change in this manner?
To get the engine metal to get hot enough to weaken it would require substantially higher operating temperatures than 190 deg, like maybe +1000 deg F. It isn't going to happen unless the car burns down.
Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Got the filtermag ss300. Supposed to be the correct fit. Will see. Thanks for the tip!

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Great tip about pouring some new oil in at the end to flush out the last of the old, like that methodology and will certainly utilize this trick in the future :thumbsup:
Sheesh. Why don't you fill it up, run it a few minutes, then redrain it and repeat that a few more times just to make sure you get a 99.9999% oil change? Any study that proves that a flush makes any difference in engine life or is it just a waste of expensive oil? Something tells me this is just a little too fastidious. Carry on.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Yes, if you don't mind spending the extra money on oil, it's always best to do a flush. I care about my car and will run an extra quart thru it...who cares it will burn another 3 before I change it next time.
If it was a 200k+ car I'd do a complete fill and run and flush 100% of the time.

Sponsored

bracky72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech
At least flush it with some walmart oil and not the good stuff since your just throwing it away.

Ctease

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
If 11 total with 2.2 left inside

Change every 5,000 miles:
80% fresh, 20% old oil

Replace with Cheap-Walmart oil and then Good oil *probably not a good idea
Now 80% fresh good oil, 16% cheap Walmart oil and 4% old oil

Replace with Good oil and then Good oil
96% fresh oil, 4% old oil.

Change every 2,500 miles (3,000 is pretty close and what most people do anyway):
80% fresh, 16% 1/2-used oil, 4% old oil

Replace with Good oil and then Good oil
96% fresh, 4% 1/2-used oil
Sponsored