Sponsored

Bolt-In Harness

tedj101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby 350GT Steeda springs, sways, camber plates, toe links etc: 14 BMW 328d
The Schroth 4 point harnesses are designed with "ASM" technology. Anti-SubMarine. In a wreck a small section gives way on one side to allow your upper body to move forward a bit, similar to how your stock 3 point belt works. This keeps you from sliding under the belt. I run the Schroth Quick-Fit Pro in my car.

Putting in a 5 point harness and just not using the sub strap is a big mistake and could easily result and someone getting injured badly in a wreck. I won't ride in a car that's set up like that.

Next thing you'll want is a HANS. That should need no explanation.
I agree. I use the Schroth Quick-Fit Pro because it installs using all the stock mounting points and all the DOT safety monitors still work. Some states are really picky about that and I drive my car to the track. The Quick-Fit Pro was also my pick because it allows you to use a standard HANS device. Having said that, I found that when I use the HANS, the change in angle lifts the lower belt as you tighten the uppers. This is unacceptable so I added a Schroth crotch belt to offset that. I only use the crotch belt when on the track since the ASM 4 point should do fine without the HANS.

One final point. I didn't like the idea of mounting the 5th belt with a hole through the floor. There is a lot of stuff under there at the front of the seat and I was not at all sure I could get a strong mounting point without major surgery. A drag racing friend told me about the UPR crotch strap mount for Mustangs. It attaches to the seat anchors and can be installed in about 5 minutes. UPR is in Florida.

Best,
<TED>
Sponsored

Gatorac

Chin Tack Days Event Mgr
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium GTPP Triple Yellow
I tighten the lap belt with the seat pushed back. I then slide the seat forward to make the lap belt really fricken tight. Only then do I tighten the shoulder straps. My ass is strapped in tight and I don't get any lift on the lap belt now.

gtorpedo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
Vehicle Showcase
I agree. I use the Schroth Quick-Fit Pro because it installs using all the stock mounting points and all the DOT safety monitors still work. Some states are really picky about that and I drive my car to the track. The Quick-Fit Pro was also my pick because it allows you to use a standard HANS device. Having said that, I found that when I use the HANS, the change in angle lifts the lower belt as you tighten the uppers. This is unacceptable so I added a Schroth crotch belt to offset that. I only use the crotch belt when on the track since the ASM 4 point should do fine without the HANS.

One final point. I didn't like the idea of mounting the 5th belt with a hole through the floor. There is a lot of stuff under there at the front of the seat and I was not at all sure I could get a strong mounting point without major surgery. A drag racing friend told me about the UPR crotch strap mount for Mustangs. It attaches to the seat anchors and can be installed in about 5 minutes. UPR is in Florida.

Best,
<TED>
I run the Quick-Fit Pro as well with my HANS. Interested in seeing the crotch belt setup on yours- any pics?

BTM

I redline at 11,000rpm
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Thunder Roadster GT-R / ST3
All good inputs from the community here. I've personally gone through the progression below for track days and autocross;

-Stock base GT PP seats and factory 3 point belt: zero lateral support, compromised interface with car controls when cornering (steering wheel, pedals, shifter). But comfortable on the street! LOL

-Corbeau Sportline Evolution seat + Schroth Rallye 4 ASM harness: much more lateral support from seat bolstering, significantly reduced seating height for helmet clearance, fantastic lateral support from Schroth harness. Literally zero moving around with this setup, felt great, but concerned over submarine risk (even with ASM, it's not a substitute for an anti-submarine belt), and potential to be held upright in a rolled car with crushed roof. Easy install, and quite street friendly, but left me feeling concerned about safety....top speed at my local track is ~130mph

-Corbeau Forza fixed-back FIA-approved seats + G-Force cam-lock 6pt harnesses + Watson 4pt roll bar: this is my current setup, and I feel really good about it, although I wouldn't want to daily drive. Probably the max safety for a street driven car, beyond this, you're looking at adding door bars, or going all the way to full cage + containment seats.

tedj101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby 350GT Steeda springs, sways, camber plates, toe links etc: 14 BMW 328d
I run the Quick-Fit Pro as well with my HANS. Interested in seeing the crotch belt setup on yours- any pics?
I don't have any pictures of my installation since it is under my seat. Here is a picture of the UPR bracket, though...

<TED>
UPR Crotch Strap Mount.jpg
Sponsored