Sponsored

New shifter - pls help me choose

MikeS50

To Punish and Enslave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack - Black
i see the recommendation but if you were to keep the Steeda, it sounds like they installed the shifter wrong...i know this bc i installed mine wrong and had to go back under the car and re-orient the shifter in the housing. basically, what happens is the black round ring at the bottom (the lockout mechanism) has a flat on it and if thats pointed in the wrong direction then the shifter lockout doesn't work, at all. and the directions from Steeda aren't super clear on that point.
I love my shifter though, as i didn't want to replace the entire housing. I also changed the bushing while i was under there.
Sponsored

OP
OP
laardilla

laardilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT FB 2015 EU
i see the recommendation but if you were to keep the Steeda, it sounds like they installed the shifter wrong...i know this bc i installed mine wrong and had to go back under the car and re-orient the shifter in the housing. basically, what happens is the black round ring at the bottom (the lockout mechanism) has a flat on it and if thats pointed in the wrong direction then the shifter lockout doesn't work, at all. and the directions from Steeda aren't super clear on that point.
I love my shifter though, as i didn't want to replace the entire housing. I also changed the bushing while i was under there.
Oh!! This is something completly new to me. Even steeda themself didnt wrote me anything about this so far- still mailing with them).

Any tips how to do it right or just try and see?
Thanx a lot anyway for hint!

MikeS50

To Punish and Enslave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack - Black
i wish i took a picture of it.
the flat side needs to be toward the passenger side, this way the round end rubs against the stop on the drivers side. when you raise the reverse ring, it lifts the black ring over the stop and allows you to go into reverse.
if it was installed backwards, then there is no stop and the shifter can go all the way to the left and engage reverse, instead of 1st.
it looks like they might have redesigned it recently as the pictures on the shifter do not have the flat/cutout section anymore.
watch the CJ Pony Parts video @ 9:45 ... it shows the right orientation.
http://www.cjponyparts.com/steeda-short-throw-shifter-tri-ax-street-2015-2017/p/MS58/

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Roush Warrior Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
"You take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake up in your car and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and you find out how great the MGW shifter truly is."

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
Their linkage is still designed after the stock with the flex/pivot point on it, if I'm not mistaken. It might replace it with a bulkier option, but it's still the same design nonetheless, whereas the MGW has a solid piece with no flex/pivot point on the linkage.
Again, research.

The flex point is for the body mount. If you don't body mount, a bolt goes in the flex joint and it will no longer "flex"

Sponsored

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
It is a flexible linkage that can be locked with a couple bolts. The thing that weirds me out a little is their solid mount arms attach to the transmission mount instead of the transmission itself. That mount is connected through rubber and known to have play. I'm sure they are much smarter than I am but it seems a like an odd choice.

It goes to the top of the mount which has no flex. It's literally bolted to the transmission

West TX GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT
Even that piece has play. Boomba makes replacements that
That have two different levels of stiffness above the stock piece. I'm sure it is fine I just prefer the absolutely solid point the MGW uses. Either Trans mounted choice will be better than stock or just a handle and bushing.

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
Even that piece has play. Boomba makes replacements that
That have two different levels of stiffness above the stock piece. I'm sure it is fine I just prefer the absolutely solid point the MGW uses. Either Trans mounted choice will be better than stock or just a handle and bushing.

I guess you don't understand. The bolts go into the transmission. It can not flex. It doesn't mount to the bottom part of the transmission mount. The flex of the transmission mount has nothing to do with the shifter.

Chris@Lethal

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Hello mustang fans.

I need a bit advice from more experienced members about manual shifter.

The thing is:
I got steeda tri-ax (stick only, not whole MT82 tri-ax shifter) even before a took my new 2016 PP GT (EU model) from dealer, got it installed in ford dealership, BUT even it was proper installation, the reverse lock is not working at all - you can simply throw reverse even withouth raising the lock collar, just little more force.
I really hate that.
So - i let the dealership to install the OEM shifter stick back.
OMG - its so long throws! And the wiggle... and the hight...
Yes, i dont miss the gears now, but the feel just isnt there.

So - as i dont wanna go another trial of error with shifter, i have 3 options and If you can give me tip what will you choose and why, i would be very happy.

My main goal is - precise shifting and working reverse lock, shorter throws and shorter stick but none or just a very very tiny increase of volume. Its my daily drive so dont wanna hear too much noises all the time.
...and reasonably price if possible. Need to ship it from US and pay VAT...

My options:
1 - Ford performance Shifter M-7210-M8
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-RACING...ash=item33a382242e:g:hNkAAOSwDNdVy70I&vxp=mtr
----should be no problem with reverse since its Ford made, but i read somewhere that its a bit noisy....?

2 - Hurst 3916036 Indy Manual Shifter
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hurst-39160...ash=item58ef2dec7e:g:bnAAAOSw2gxYpxlu&vxp=mtr
----found on ebay, never heard of it tbh but price is OK and includes the base bushing already - any experience??

3 - take the OEM shifter stick (or maybe buy new one) and cut it shirter and ma new thread on top - this was even offered me in ford dealership as possible sollution. It will help the throw and height, but still keep the same in therm of "wiggle" :)

I can thing about Barton Center Shaft shifter too buit iam not sure they shipp in EU and i didnt found them on ebay.
I was also looking for Boomba but you need some special too ffor that and thats another like 100+ dollars...

Thank you very much for tips, pls dont say change whole shifter for MGW or so, dont wanna pay so much for it and as i wrote, its my daily, not race car so i need some sort of comfort and silence :)

Listen to MGW! Their shifters are the way to go!:headbang:

West TX GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT
I guess you don't understand. The bolts go into the transmission. It can not flex. It doesn't mount to the bottom part of the transmission mount. The flex of the transmission mount has nothing to do with the shifter.
Ah, I see now. Makes more sense.
Sponsored