Sponsored

Mustangs in snow

Jim Bronson

Red One
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Coupe Six Speed
I'm kinda thinking about taking a ride up in the local mountains the next time we get snow. I know I'll need chains and some weight in the trunk. I was wondering what to expect in terms of handling on snowy roads. Thanks.
Sponsored

sculptor310

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT
I moved from San Diego to Denver a few years back and bought a '15 GT. I've tried snow tires and sandbags in the trunk but have never been confident in snow like I was with my WRX.

I'm going to try some Nokian tires this week to see if that helps. I've never tried chains.

The biggest weakness I've experienced is with inclines. I wouldn't try the mountains in snow personally, but maybe others here have advice with chains.

Sooty M.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP - Guard W/Black OTTS
There is a section about snow chains in your owners manual that i would look at before going that route. I run winter tires (XIce3) and the car is pretty good in the snow; the electronics keeps everything pretty boring for you as it should be.

Mustang_Eh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
I winter drive my car. Winter tires on (Blizzak ws-80) and no weight in the trunk. I actually took my car out specifically during snowstorms to go hooning before any snow has been touched by plows and salt. Rather confident drive as long as you are not going full retard...never go full retard.

Sponsored

s550v6

Mike
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang V6
I use Blizzack WS-80s also ad my mustang handles perfectly fine in the snow up to about a half foot

**ahhh you were looking for advice! I would suggest slow and steady, always, because once the rear comes out, unless you're Ricky Bobby it's going to keep coming around!

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Rule #1 DO NOT turn off any of the nannies. Especially if you have a premium click it into snow wet mode to dumb down the throttle. With T/C, and stability control on its actually a little difficult to get it upset. However as someone else said trying to climb slick inclines may be a little different problem.

Machelen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The banging four banger
No biggie

Do not worry man. I live in Calgary and this is my only car this winter. Huge snow storm hit us last couple month. There were 4 days back to back snow storm, which accumulated almost 2 feet snow. My winter tire set was at about only 7-8/32nd and 2 bags of salt in trunk(about 80lbs).

I was fine driving my EB. Had couple fish tail but easily corrected. Would totally be confident if had snow chains on them. I have chains in my trunk just in case but never had the chance to use them.

ghig302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boss
Come borrow my Frontier....4x4 and was wicked in the snow up at Big Bear on Christmas day and New Years Eve up in Idyllwild. I saw a couple of Mustangs up on Big Bear, but very glad I had my truck and not my Boss.

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
If you are going to use chains, make sure they are actually allowed on the roads you will be travelling. I've never used them myself - no need with good winter tires. Though I can see the appeal if you only need snow traction for a trip or two.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Jim Bronson

Red One
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Coupe Six Speed
Chains are required in the mountains around here. CHP turns cars back unless they are either 4 wheel drive or have chains. It's definitely a good idea to use all the nanny modes. I'm still not sure that I will try it. Maybe I'll just rent an Explorer or Forrester.

OxWhiteEB

GR8_WHT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White Ecoboost
I've been driving my car on snow here in Seattle, I had dws06, also tried driving on stock premium tires, drives fine except on inclines. Use your snow mode!

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 conv gt auto, var exhaust,shaker, safety pack
no problem here in Canada. No weight added to trunk. Non clouted winter tires (nokian hakkapelita 8). Just put the traction control off to take off in difficult condition (inclined road take off)

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I prefer a little junk in the trunk. :love:

TC :D

ewitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB PP SB
Kumho Wintercraft tires got me through this winter.

The summer only Pirelli P Zero tires are truly Summer only, slightest hint of snow/ice and they just spin.

Traction control is as much of a help as a hindrance.
Sponsored