Sponsored

In the Market: GT350, 17' ZL1, or C7Z

JackMan017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
OP hope you don't mind if I tag-along here in your post, I figured I could ask the question here vs making another post...

New vs New, does anyone see the ZL1 having an effect on pricing for the 350? Especially for GT350's in So Cal.... Both are great cars. Not trying to take any bias. From what I can gather, generally speaking, I notice the discounts are already there for the Z, while the 350 appears to be at it's MSRP (MSRP being obtained outside of California) advertised mark-ups still there on the 350 in So Cal.
Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
New vs New, does anyone see the ZL1 having an effect on pricing for the 350? .
No. Totally different focuses and I dare say price points. I paid sticker for my Track Pack car. $56K and change. I priced out a ZL1 that I would actually buy, $67K.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Instead of ZL1 I would go Camaro 1LE and instead of ZO6 I would go Grand Sport or the GT350. This is if you are going to track the car then NA for the win IMHO YMMV :D

Peter
Agreed. Two different beasts really

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
I don't think the C7Z would be the automatic choice at all if these were all in your price range. Considering what I paid for my R here in Canada, I could have gotten a base Z06 for several thousand LESS than the R. A C7Z optioned how I wanted was within an extra 6-8K over the R which was well within my budget, but I still chose the R.

For me, having the absolute fastest car possible for the $ isn't what is important to me. It will be the most important to some, but to me the subjective nature of the car and the intangibles are far more important. I wanted a car that was exciting to look at, exciting to drive, have great performance both in speed and cornering, and most of all something that I truly loved to drive.

The C7Z would have been faster and more capable in every measure, but for street use I don't care what anyone says, it is too much. You know what the saying is "more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow", and I believe in that. The R allows me to be more indulgent with WOT periods without being stressed that I'm going to light up the rear tires and spin out doing 50+mph. It isn't like the 350's/R's are slow by no means, but I think they have the perfect power/weight ratios for street use. Fast enough to be fun, but not too fast such that they are unusable and too frightening to really open it up and play with it. It also the benefit of having a far more unique engine that is NA, and IMO sounds a lot better.

If you're going to track the car a lot, then the C7Z starts to make more sense. But as others have said, I would get the C7 GS before the Z, primarily due to it being more reliable on track, and being a more fun car on the street due to the reasons above. Having a GS or 350 and being able to approach and learn the cars limits should be fun and exciting, rather than (chances are) never reaching the C7Z's limits and being too afraid to push any farther.

Carguy68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 1LE
The ZL1 is the best bang for the buck street or track if you want big HP! If you want to just look cool, get the Grand Sport. I'm not a fan of the Camaro interior or small windows.

Just for grins..
WILLOW SPRINGS lap times:
Z06 1:25.0
ZL1 1:26.16
GRAND SPORT 1:26.28
1LE 1:28.29

Sponsored

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
I've driven the Viper flat out at Bondurant last year. If you don't care what what the car sounds like, then go with that, but decent examples are north of your price range. An A10 ZL1 should be wicked and lots of fun on the street. I would save a little longer and get a C7Z if you like the GS, especially for the street. Low $70's new. I could care less for all the extra frosting, so I would get a base which comes with HUD...the only thing you really need. The 350 will have the sound that nothing else compares to and is still fun driving st sane speeds.

Can't go wrong with any of the cars mentioned.

Next Phase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mopar
If you want something special, I'd go with a pre-owned Gen 5 Viper. You can find them in the $60k range. I still regret selling mine... I drove a TA 2.0 at Bondurant for a 2 day driving school. Absolutley loved it. The presence and experience of owning one is awesome (and the Viper community is 2nd to none).

With that said, they don't sound good and are more difficult to get in and out of for a DD.

C7Z and GS just don't do it for me in the looks dept. I prefer the C6 (for looks). Call me shallow, but I don't think the Z will age well. Same for the Camaro. I grew up a Chevy guy and have owned 4 Vettes over the years.

If price is a restriction and you want a fun daily driver, go for the GT350. As some have already stated, you don't have to go twice the speed limit to have fun. It's one of the most fun cars I've driven. The sound alone is worth the price of admission.

Lastly, if you don't car about tracking a car, and you want a comfortable daily driver with a ton of power that can fit real adults in the back seat....look into a Challenger or Charger Hellcat. I can't recommend one enough....(it's not a popular option on this site, but that's okay). I can say that everyone that has ridden OR driven my HC was impressed. I think I'm responsible for 5 members if the Viper club buying one.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Hey everyone, first post here on the forums. I'm about to be in the market for a new weekend warrior/sunny day grocery getter once I sell my car.

If you are looking for a weekend warrior and a sunny day grocery getter and want to save some money I would take a serious look at a Boss 302 Laguna Seca especially the 2012MY.

All 2 seat Mustangs are very cool cars especially the Laguna Seca's and of course the new GT350 R's.

Some of the key elements of the Laguna Seca cars is getting all of the dealer or customer installed original Ford parts in boxes or already assembled on the car such as the front splitter, brake duct cooling hoses, transmission cooler scoop and receiving the original window sticker and the original Boss owners kit.

The attrition rate on the 2012 Laguna Seca's was quite high due to many being wrecked early on due to many being tracked and also many went overseas with only 626 Black Laguna Seca's being built for the 2012MY.

Compared to the GT350 straight line performance figures the Boss 302 Laguna Seca's performance numbers are very similar to that of the new Shelby's but of course on a road course the GT350 is a better performer and a much better balanced car.

I own both GT350 Track Pack and R model cars along with some Boss 302/Boss LS cars and enjoy driving both models equally. Just like having different children but respect and love them both just as much.

Good luck with your final choice of automobiles and I hope that you end up with either a GT350 or maybe even a Boss 302 Laguna Seca!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
DSCF1440.jpg
DSCF1376.jpg

mdmoore23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ZL1
Of the cars you named, I'd say C7Z06 hands down. You'd have to consider a used one based on the budget you stated though. ZL1 is also an awesome car and can be had for the same or less money than a GT350, and less hassle in some cases.

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
If the Viper didnt exist a c7z would be in the drive way right now.

Given all the choices, id get a C7Z. They look wicked, specially in vert:

I dont care if this car didnt do well on the track/overheat. I'd do cooling mods/weight reduction and some sticky tires and hit the road course.

Sponsored

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
What a time to be alive... and can afford the cars because cost to own is really at the lowest its going to be ...

I don't think you'd go wrong either way. Go with the one that feels right in the gut when you hammer it down a road

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
Hey everyone, first post here on the forums. I'm about to be in the market for a new weekend warrior/sunny day grocery getter once I sell my car.

If you are looking for a weekend warrior and a sunny day grocery getter and want to save some money I would take a serious look at a Boss 302 Laguna Seca especially the 2012MY.

All 2 seat Mustangs are very cool cars especially the Laguna Seca's and of course the new GT350 R's.

Some of the key elements of the Laguna Seca cars is getting all of the dealer or customer installed original Ford parts in boxes or already assembled on the car such as the front splitter, brake duct cooling hoses, transmission cooler scoop and receiving the original window sticker and the original Boss owners kit.

The attrition rate on the 2012 Laguna Seca's was quite high due to many being wrecked early on due to many being tracked and also many went overseas with only 626 Black Laguna Seca's being built for the 2012MY.

Compared to the GT350 straight line performance figures the Boss 302 Laguna Seca's performance numbers are very similar to that of the new Shelby's but of course on a road course the GT350 is a better performer and a much better balanced car.

I own both GT350 Track Pack and R model cars along with some Boss 302/Boss LS cars and enjoy driving both models equally. Just like having different children but respect and love them both just as much.

Good luck with your final choice of automobiles and I hope that you end up with either a GT350 or maybe even a Boss 302 Laguna Seca!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
The Boss will only appeal to die hard Mustang fans and from the variety of cars that the OP lists It sounds like he is not brand loyal, which is a good thing. No high performance stick axle car will ride like a high performance IRS car.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The new zl1/1le is smoking .
Yeah talk about dropping a bomb on the automotive world. So THAT'S what was running around the ring...and locking its brakes up lol.

Me personally if money were no object, Grand Sport. In fact, if some desperate poor sap came up to me and gave me 70K for my car, that's exactly what I'd do. I'm secretly (which is not a secret anymore) kinda wanting someone to do so haha.

Ctease

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
You should go for GT350. I think you really want one. Why else would you ask Mustang forum?
Sponsored