Sponsored

Buttonwillow Performance Driving Clinic

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
Hey everyone. Has anyone here ever participated in a performance driving clinic at Buttonwillow? If so, would you recommend it? One of the reasons I purchased my Mustang is to do HPDE's and this seems like a good way to get started. They have an event coming up this month and for $200 you get some classroom instruction and over 3 hours on the track.

Any input appreciated! Linky below:

http://buttonwillowraceway.com/calendar-of-events/performance-driving-clinic/
Sponsored

williamwally

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 gt
No, as I'm in the Midwest. But track time plus instruction for $200? Yes yes and yes.
Also find track day insurance.

c_reber

REB3R
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
`16 Mustang GT (PP), `15 X5 50i
Never done their own diving clinic (ran many HPDE/race/Time attack groups there, and have been an instructor there), but for $200 total, it's a good deal. Plus BW is a very fun track. Go for it!

OP
OP
NvrFinished

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
Thanks for the input guys, I think I'm going to go ahead and sign up! I guess I need to do some helmet shopping. I do have a few questions though for those who have been there.

Are folding chairs recommended? Is the paddock area shaded or do people bring pop ups?

Also, one of my concerns is no spare tire. I read on their site that they have a tire facility, but I'm not sure what that entails. Do you recommend putting together a spare to bring along?

My goal here is to become familiar with the experience so that I can learn what I need to be prepared for. I've done suspension work on my car such as coil overs and all the rear IRS goodies. I'm currently running the stock P Zero's (GTPP manual) and I'm not planning on pushing things hard. I just want to see how the car handles and responds to the current upgrades as I get some instruction and become more accustomed to driving on a track.

I know that I will be purchasing dedicated track wheels and tires sometime in the future and I will be putting together a list of other things to bring when I start. My goal is to try and attend at least one event every other month, maybe more if the budget allows it. I don't know yet if I will be putting together one of those small trailers that people tow or just throwing everything in the back of the wife's X3 and have her follow me around :D

Any other input is appreciated!

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Yes, bring a chair, but you'll be socializing hopefully so you may never sit in it. Bring water in a cooler - offer it to the newbs that didn't, you'll make friends. You can basically create camp in the paddock. I like to put up one of those 4 post tents and park the car under it so I can sit in the car and relax and not fry into an Italian meatball. AGAIN...BRING WATER - ON ICE, LOTS OF IT. Speaking of water, pee before you go out... having to pee while you're midway through a session is really annoying... really, really annoying.

rob_s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
No, as I'm in the Midwest. But track time plus instruction for $200? Yes yes and yes.
Also find track day insurance.
If you're interested in something like this around here, I did the Autointerests acclimation program at Gingerman (about 2.5 hours from Chicago in South Haven, MI) last year and thought it was a great program, and only $175 for morning instruction and caution laps (no passing, but no speed limit/pace) and afternoon hot laps. https://autointerests.com/content/acclimation-program

hulk_smash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Hey everyone. Has anyone here ever participated in a performance driving clinic at Buttonwillow? If so, would you recommend it? One of the reasons I purchased my Mustang is to do HPDE's and this seems like a good way to get started. They have an event coming up this month and for $200 you get some classroom instruction and over 3 hours on the track.

Any input appreciated! Linky below:

http://buttonwillowraceway.com/calendar-of-events/performance-driving-clinic/
Buttonwillow is a very fun road course.

If you have never done a HPDE event, I'd encourage you to attend and safely explore your limits and your car's limits.

Most people don't understand how to drive a RWD car (with nannies off). So this should be a good way for you to learn and have fun.

$200 is a steal.

Remember that this is not a race so go at your own pace and don't forget to have fun.

c_reber

REB3R
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
`16 Mustang GT (PP), `15 X5 50i
Bringing a spare is always a good idea too. I guess I can say that because I have WAY too many sets of wheels/tires lol so I usually bring at least 2 sets if bringing a trailer. If not I'll just bring one wheel/tire. But to just buy 1 wheel and tire seems a little excessive for this one event. Because you probably will likely be wanting a set of dedicated track tires soon after your first event.

They do indeed have a little tire shop there, but usually only open until about 1 or 2pm.

Have fun!:thumbsup:

OP
OP
NvrFinished

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
Yes, bring a chair, but you'll be socializing hopefully so you may never sit in it. Bring water in a cooler - offer it to the newbs that didn't, you'll make friends. You can basically create camp in the paddock. I like to put up one of those 4 post tents and park the car under it so I can sit in the car and relax and not fry into an Italian meatball. AGAIN...BRING WATER - ON ICE, LOTS OF IT. Speaking of water, pee before you go out... having to pee while you're midway through a session is really annoying... really, really annoying.
Thanks for the tips. I'm bringing some folding chairs and water for sure. Being February, I don't think heat will be a factor so I'm not too worried about shade. I called the track to try and get more info, but it was like pulling teeth with the woman I spoke with. She was very nice but never offered up any additional info or tips other than answering my questions. She did say pop-ups were often used.

Buttonwillow is a very fun road course.

If you have never done a HPDE event, I'd encourage you to attend and safely explore your limits and your car's limits.

Most people don't understand how to drive a RWD car (with nannies off). So this should be a good way for you to learn and have fun.

$200 is a steal.

Remember that this is not a race so go at your own pace and don't forget to have fun.
Yes, I definitely want to get tips about driving a road course. I know my way around a RWD car and understand drifting, late braking, apexes, and things like that. I practically grew up in the desert racing dirt bikes and dune buggies, but never really had the chance to apply any experience to asphalt. Safety and fun is the name of the game!

Bringing a spare is always a good idea too. I guess I can say that because I have WAY too many sets of wheels/tires lol so I usually bring at least 2 sets if bringing a trailer. If not I'll just bring one wheel/tire. But to just buy 1 wheel and tire seems a little excessive for this one event. Because you probably will likely be wanting a set of dedicated track tires soon after your first event.

They do indeed have a little tire shop there, but usually only open until about 1 or 2pm.

Have fun!:thumbsup:
Yeah, I 'm in the process of checking my options for a spare. I just don't feel comfortable attending the event without one.
Sponsored