OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
@Epiphany

Can you confirm if you place an order now for a GT350 shifter is he shipping the new design?
Yes, 100% confirmed. There are no first run shifters left. From here on in it will be what you see here.

Thanks @Epiphany for all the communication and knowledge, and @MGW for refining this product and getting it to market. Great to see guys like George that have a passion for the hobby and meticulous about quality
I suppose when you really enjoy something it makes it easier. On George's end there is a heck of a lot of hard work and long hours. He's driven to provide the best there is and won't rest on his laurels. The hobby could use more like him.
Sponsored

Readfast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
17 F350 King Ranch, 17 Focus RS
I've already talk to George!

Planning on going to his shop next week to get mine installed.

Hopefully I can get a ride in the McLaren!

geepaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350, '15 WRX STI Launch Ed, '03 SVT Cobra (RIP)
I still have an mgw shifter with 115k miles (with lots of stop and go) on my '03 termy and it still performs great. I have to get the new for my 350 in the near future.

eric n

HNIC/Head Ninja in Charge
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ericnolan.com
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
16 Shelby RR B&W stripes GT350 G0249
George has some other interesting stuff lined up as well including different shift balls. He is doing some interesting stuff with the gripper style pieces, including changing the coins to laser burned aluminum or stainless pieces. I've been talking to him about doing a custom center wheel cap that uses the GT350's snake. I was like a kid in a candy shop when he led me to the room where he laser etches them. In no time he sat down in front of a computer, turn the vacuum system on, and started burning a snake into a solid stainless coin. Check these videos out (be sure to raise the resolution up as high as you can go)...

He pulled the coin out and popped it into a new ball. The results are pretty darn impressive! Note this was a "quickie" and as such you see some light scuffing that you won't see on finished units.

0127171142a_HDR2-Edit.jpg

0127171144_HDR-Edit.jpg

0128171305a_HDR-Edit.jpg

That is a gorgeous piece of shifter knob. It seems that I have seen similar for sale, but I've been looking around for about 40 minutes and can't find one. Is this knob available or is a similar one???

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I'm not sure if George has updated his site to reflect everything that is available. You can always mention what you saw here and talk to George about it if it is something you want.

Sponsored

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
Damn Tob, it seems I have repeated this post time and time again over the last 8 or so years......Very nice write up, professor! Thanks for all the technical detail and sharing of information.

George hits another home run, of course. The shifter is mechanical art, but that damn laser work is impressive as hell! I'm really liking the looks of that shifter ball! I am in the front of the line and anxiously awaiting my new shifter.

Varekai

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I was one of the few who had vibration issues. Contacted George the other month, just waiting on the new parts!

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Me too, but I'm having a tough time justifying it, even though I like the sound of those crisp shifts!

To all here, regarding the first gear pop-out "issue", which I've experienced on occasion, is it the consensus that it's a shifter issue, gearbox issue, or just user error?
The ONLY part that makes me a little hesitant is having to lower the transmission, as I don't have a transmission jack, and thus I would have to "jerry-rig" something up to make it work. Chances are I will eventually do this though, as I love love love that "bolt action lever" type feeling.

I've only had it happen to me twice within the first approx 200mi. I'm going with user error/non-positive shifting.
I can assure you guys right now that the 1st gear pop out is not a user error. It has only happened to me twice, but it happened to me when I took the car to my local 1/8th mile strip. I had the car in 1st, did a quick little burn out to clean the tires, and proceeded to stage. Remember now, the car was already in 1st gear, and clearly had no issues during the quick clean. Attempt to use launch control and first gear pops out on me. Put it BACK into 1st, try to launch again, and it happens a 2nd time. Put it back in a third time into 1st, start off slowly, and no pop out ensued.

It absolutely wasn't user error.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Me too, but I'm having a tough time justifying it, even though I like the sound of those crisp shifts!

To all here, regarding the first gear pop-out "issue", which I've experienced on occasion, is it the consensus that it's a shifter issue, gearbox issue, or just user error?
My opinion is that a shifter with a more direct feel will help with this. I've had it happen once or twice in ~15,000 miles. If I am paying attention I can tell that first gear didn't completely engage before I release the clutch and I try again. With a more direct feel I think your chance is better that you will notice that first didn't completely engage.

I had an MGW in my 2011 GT and it really was a well-built piece. It made a big improvement in the shifting. I feel that the GT350 shifter is much better than the shifter Ford put in those older GTs, but I still want one. I'm thinking when I pull the transmission to replace it with the track pack version I will swap out the shifter as well.

Sponsored

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
I wonder how serious this additional NVH is that it has people calling in. The reason I say this is because I've noticed it in my car as well, but this is my first standard and obviously first aftermarket shifter, and I just keep hearing people say "you'll get more NVH" so to not be surprised. So at this point IDK if it's normal, or if I should be hitting up George as well.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
I wonder how serious this additional NVH is that it has people calling in. The reason I say this is because I've noticed it in my car as well, but this is my first standard and obviously first aftermarket shifter, and I just keep hearing people say "you'll get more NVH" so to not be surprised. So at this point IDK if it's normal, or if I should be hitting up George as well.
Considering the upgrade is free to 1st gen buyers and seems to be an improvement, I see no reason to not contact him. The only "hassle" in regards to 1st gen buyers is having to basically perform the installation a second time, so it would depend on how much the increased NVH bothers you on an individual basis from my perspective.

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, 1966 Couple (347 Stroker)
Considering the upgrade is free to 1st gen buyers and seems to be an improvement, I see no reason to not contact him. The only "hassle" in regards to 1st gen buyers is having to basically perform the installation a second time, so it would depend on how much the increased NVH bothers you on an individual basis from my perspective.
Anywhere here does it say what the 'upgrade' is called?

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Anywhere here does it say what the 'upgrade' is called?
The very last video clip illustrates what is included in the upgrade, which has the new arm with material drilled out as well as the new side connecting arms with rubber inserts. Doesn't seem to have a particular name associated with the kit, sounds like you will have to call them in order to have it shipped out, since it is free of charge it won't be listed on his website as a "for sale" item I don't imagine.

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Gotcha. Makes sense. I might actually go for this considering how long I'll plan to have this car. Thanks for the info man. I'll hit up George!
Sponsored