Sponsored

MGW GT350 shifter - second run

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, 1966 Couple (347 Stroker)
Much obliged Sir.

Any tips/tricks from any of the guys who have banged a few of these out?
Sponsored

MGW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 MUSTANG
Is there really a forum discount as someone mentioned? I just ordered one, and a T-shirt, and didn't mention the forum. Oh well...

call debbie back up and ask to apply the forum discount for 6g...its 5 percent

George

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
call debbie back up and ask to apply the forum discount for 6g...its 5 percent

George
Thanks George! Looking forward to those bolt action shifts...

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry, I haven't seen this posted anywhere, but, if one is doing the installation from the ground (not a lift) will 4 jack stands be required, or can it be done with just two?

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I highly recommend being safely up on 4 stands as opposed to two since you will be jacking at the rear of the transmission/crossmember to allow more room between the top of the transmission and the tunnel.

Sponsored

SlowArrow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Sorry, I haven't seen this posted anywhere, but, if one is doing the installation from the ground (not a lift) will 4 jack stands be required, or can it be done with just two?
I did mine using a set of ramps under the front tires. You just need to get the front up enough to get under it safely. You'll be working up into the tunnel a lot, so higher is not really your frie.

Readfast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
17 F350 King Ranch, 17 Focus RS
OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Well done George.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Well I just called yesterday and completed and order for a shifter and will hopefully receive it within the next couple of weeks thanks to the kind generosity of my good friend Scott! (@Voodooo)

Just want to thank you again brother, and now the hard part comes, the wait :D :cheers: :Ford:

Sponsored

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
The wait will be worth it. You waited this long lol.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I hate to speculate on DSS offering as I don't know the details on the shaft they use in this case. If they can do what the factory wouldn't - more power to them. It'd be great if they provided some of their own test data with respect to instrumented testing and vibration both before and after one of their CF shafts were installed. I'm sure the community would love to see it if it were positive and it would no doubt help with sales.
Any chance Ford is more tightly constrained on shaft diameter than an aftermarket entity might be? Simply increasing wall thickness at a constant diameter appears to add mass at about the same rate that stiffness is added, for little benefit in terms of vibration. Increasing diameter (only) buys you stiffness at a 'd-cubed' rate while still only increasing mass linearly. But there has to be room (+ clearance) in order to go that route.

Tob?

Norm

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any chance Ford is more tightly constrained on shaft diameter than an aftermarket entity might be? Simply increasing wall thickness at a constant diameter appears to add mass at about the same rate that stiffness is added, for little benefit in terms of vibration. Increasing diameter (only) buys you stiffness at a 'd-cubed' rate while still only increasing mass linearly. But there has to be room (+ clearance) in order to go that route.

Tob?

Norm
I agree with what you stated: assuming the material is a constant, adding wall thickness does increase stiffness (function of the 4th power), but also increases weight (function of the 2nd power) - Turns out weight goes up at a faster rate than stiffness, so the resonant frequency (function of the (stiffness/mass) to the half power) is actually going down - worse in terms of vibration.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Actually, it's a difference between 4th and 2nd powers of outside and inside diameters. When the big hole in the middle gets big enough, the stiffness comparison simplifies (approximately) to D(cubed) x t and the area comparison to D x t.

Norm

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I understand exactly what the deal is. Although your approximations are fairly accurate, I prefer to deal in actual numbers - it's not much more difficult to calculate the real results.
Sponsored