Sponsored

How to install halfshafts - need help!

DAVECS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP GT Grabber Blue
Turn the pry bar 180 degrees from how you have it in the picture, then just twist it while rotating the axle back and forth. Don't get too nuts twisting the pry bar as it will be up against the seal. If the seal does get damaged they are pretty cheap. Basically you just need to get the snap ring started in the splines and rotating the axle with a little pressure will find the sweet spot.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Southview

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herby
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Convertible
Just put the extension near the bottom of the axle at a 45 deg angle and hit the other end with a hammer. You've gotta give it a good wack but nothing excessive.
A whack! Not a tap like you are trying to tap it out. A whack to break it loose. You will not hurt it. Also rotate the axle and try again. There is a tension clip that holds that thing in. Rotating the axle helps center the clip. Don't be afraid to use some muscle. YOU CAN DO IT!!( done in voice from The Waterboy):lol::thumbsup:

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
When using the pry bar method sometimes you cant get enough leverage to break the ring loose as the bar starts to bends and absorbs the force. A more rigid bars works better or a fork works well as it has a wedge affect sometimes the right tool to make the job easier is not in hand.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mootang

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
So.. I went to get forks, hammed them in and whacked it with a dead blow. The fork bent. Flipped around and tried again. Bent back to normal. Half shaft still in there :frusty:.

Turn the pry bar 180 degrees from how you have it in the picture, then just twist it while rotating the axle back and forth. Don't get too nuts twisting the pry bar as it will be up against the seal. If the seal does get damaged they are pretty cheap. Basically you just need to get the snap ring started in the splines and rotating the axle with a little pressure will find the sweet spot.
I believe the seal is already damaged and I will replace it once its out, but there is just not enough leverage.

These work great. Just make sure you get the right size. The forks are available in different sizes for small or large axles.
If you keep using a pry bar you take the chance of damaging the axle seal on the differential housing.
https://www.otctools.com/products/inner-cv-joint-puller

https://m.summitracing.com/search/Part-Type/CV-Joint-Removal-Tools/
This one is my next try, will need to order it and wait for it to come in. Not too sure how to use it, but I already tried enough methods. If this does not work, looks like I am dropping the entire IRS with the differential and removing it :frusty:.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
So.. I went to get forks, hammed them in and whacked it with a dead blow. The fork bent. Flipped around and tried again. Bent back to normal. Half shaft still in there :frusty:.

I believe the seal is already damaged and I will replace it once its out, but there is just not enough leverage.

This one is my next try, will need to order it and wait for it to come in. Not too sure how to use it, but I already tried enough methods. If this does not work, looks like I am dropping the entire IRS with the differential and removing it :frusty:.
I use the forks all the time. They come in different sizes. I'm a mechanic so I have these at my disposal. Try autozone you may be able to rent one to get you going.

OP
OP
Mootang

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Alright guys... here is the plan so far. I tried the pry bar - failed, longer studier pry bar- failed, whack a hammer and dead blow at the pry bar - failed, and got a fork - failed. I even went out to Harbor Freight and got a rope and sledge hammer. Tied the rope to the axel (differential end) and the other end to the rope to the sledge hammer. Gave it a good swing away from - failed. Gave me a good work out though. Then I repeated the other method with a sledge hammer - failed.

I am almost about to give up and call it quits on this. I ordered the OTC Inner CV Joint Puller as Voodooo recommended. Wont arrive for two days, but I can't try it out until the weather is good again. I am working outside and it looks like Sacramento, CA will be raining for another week. So I put my suspension all back together loosely and dropped the car down. Now I will wait for the puller and hopefully that will do it. Unfortunately, it won't happen for about two weeks when I can get a nice weather weekend again.

If that doesn't work, going to say F-it and install the rest of my upgrades. Once done, I will bring the car and half shafts to a shop and let them have a whack at it :frusty:.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Alright guys... here is the plan so far. I tried the pry bar - failed, longer studier pry bar- failed, whack a hammer and dead blow at the pry bar - failed, and got a fork - failed. I even went out to Harbor Freight and got a rope and sledge hammer. Tied the rope to the axel (differential end) and the other end to the rope to the sledge hammer. Gave it a good swing away from - failed. Gave me a good work out though. Then I repeated the other method with a sledge hammer - failed.

I am almost about to give up and call it quits on this. I ordered the OTC Inner CV Joint Puller as Voodooo recommended. Wont arrive for two days, but I can't try it out until the weather is good again. I am working outside and it looks like Sacramento, CA will be raining for another week. So I put my suspension all back together loosely and dropped the car down. Now I will wait for the puller and hopefully that will do it. Unfortunately, it won't happen for about two weeks when I can get a nice weather weekend again.

If that doesn't work, going to say F-it and install the rest of my upgrades. Once done, I will bring the car and half shafts to a shop and let them have a whack at it :frusty:.
Did you check autozone. They rent tools.

OP
OP
Mootang

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I did not earlier :doh:. I just called the local one here and they said they have it in stock lol. However, it is kinda too late now since the car is back on the ground and I have to wait for the rain to pass over first :shrug:. Will update everyone when I get the chance to try the puller. Thanks all!

Sponsored

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Just make sure it fits over the axle shaft. I have 3 different size forks for my slide hammer for different size axles.

OP
OP
Mootang

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Just make sure it fits over the axle shaft. I have 3 different size forks for my slide hammer for different size axles.
Happen to know the size I need :D? If not, I will check with Autozone to see if they have the other size adapters for it.

I do hope this will work. It's my last straw :tsk:

OP
OP
Mootang

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
So you don't wanna tie a truck to it and yank it huh? Haha.
You know, I actually thought about it since I got rope now and a SUV with a towing knob in my sight. Then I realized the I only have enough clearance to yank one half shaft and not the other. The thought of it came into mind when I laid in a pool of frustration from the sledge hammer yanking.

OP
OP
Mootang

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
So I went to AutoZone and got this weird thing:

This doesn't look like the one that is on order. The one you recommended form Summit Racing looks like it goes to the inner shaft where I was prying from. This AutoZone one looks like I need to attach it at the opposite end where the hub is? Am I missing the big picture here?
Sponsored