How to install halfshafts - need help!

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Hi everyone. I been trying to separate the half shafts for over two hours and can't get them to budge. I attached photos for reference and I am still trying to get it out. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to pry these darn things out? Do I need a special tool or some other pry bar? I really want to complete my half shaft upgrade soon, but this is killing me. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Here, I pulled everything out from the bottom and the half shaft is free to com out, but will not budge :frusty:

I put a pry bar in here:

I even changed positions and inserted two pry bar and used my feet as I pulled on the half shaft as leverage.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Southview

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herby
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Convertible
Smack pry bar with a hammer.

OP
OP
Mootang

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT

isedawishy

GTPPTT6REIGHTY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
If not that find a pipe or something that'll fit over the pry bar for leverage. One of mine was snug, but the other one was extra snug.

I thought I was going to break it and eventually got pissed and just went ham on it!

OP
OP
Mootang

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
If not that find a pipe or something that'll fit over the pry bar for leverage. One of mine was snug, but the other one was extra snug.

I thought I was going to break it and eventually got pissed and just went ham on it!
Unfortunately, I don't have a pipe laying around and will need to go purchase one. I have a longer pry bar, but all of them flex under pressure. I'm thinking of finding a stronger non-flexing crow bar to fit it up there and try it. Will do this if the whack-it-hammer doesn't work tomorrow morning.

I think both of mines are extra snug. I checked all around it to see if I was missing something. Even CJ Pony Parts video make it look easy to pry out.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Question:
So the half shafts don't have any retaining clips on inside of the diff? They just pull straight out after all other surrounding parts have been removed?

(I'm used to 8.8 straight axle R&R procedures on prior Mustangs)

OP
OP
Mootang

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Question:
So the half shafts don't have any retaining clips on inside of the diff? They just pull straight out after all other surrounding parts have been removed?

(I'm used to 8.8 straight axle R&R procedures on prior Mustangs)
From what I read on the directions and from Ford's repair manual, yea. The diagram just says pry it out too. :frusty:

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
Hmmmm. Interesting.

I just did what you have pictured on (3) cars and they popped right out for me.

Maybe try to access the upper portions of the shaft to pry on now?

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
I read you used two pry bars, but did you put them as opposite to each other as possible and then pry?

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Had this exact issue in my 2017 automatic which I was gonna put my G-force take outs from my 2015 manual but they weren't moving..... period. I left them in lol.

Sponsored

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I just did my DSS 1400 hp axles this weekend and they didn't come out using the pry bar method either. I just took a half inch drive extension and put it up against the round edge of the axle and gave the extension a smack with a hammer, axle popped right out. Sometimes the inner clip needs to get jarred for it to let loose.

OP
OP
Mootang

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Hmmmm. Interesting.

I just did what you have pictured on (3) cars and they popped right out for me.

Maybe try to access the upper portions of the shaft to pry on now?
I can't seem to access the top from laying on the ground. I tried again this morning and no luck. What pry bar did you use? Maybe I got too cheap of a bar or not the right length? My flexes a little when prying which seems weird :crazy:.

OP
OP
Mootang

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I read you used two pry bars, but did you put them as opposite to each other as possible and then pry?
Best I can do was the last picture where I just spread it lol.

OP
OP
Mootang

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I just did my DSS 1400 hp axles this weekend and they didn't come out using the pry bar method either. I just took a half inch drive extension and put it up against the round edge of the axle and gave the extension a smack with a hammer, axle popped right out. Sometimes the inner clip needs to get jarred for it to let loose.
Half inch drive extension... I am trying to picture it. Just put the blunt end on the round part and hammer it? How hard did you have to hammer and was it from the bottom or side? I am thinking of trying this :D

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Half inch drive extension... I am trying to picture it. Just put the blunt end on the round part and hammer it? How hard did you have to hammer and was it from the bottom or side? I am thinking of trying this :D
Just put the extension near the bottom of the axle at a 45 deg angle and hit the other end with a hammer. You've gotta give it a good wack but nothing excessive.
Sponsored