McLeod RST and Supercharger

dsp4848

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Magnetic
Does anyone have a McLeod RST installed with their supercharger setup? If so, what power level are you at and what is your experience? Is the clutch holding up?

The reason I ask is that I'll be installing a 3.6" pulley Paxton setup in a month or so and am looking for a clutch to go with. I'll run the stock clutch for a while and then have an aftermarket one ready to go in in case to stock one starts slipping.

I know a lot of guys on here seem to be running the RXT, but my only concern is that it is too much clutch for the MT82 transmission. Since it bites harder than the RST (ceramic vs. organic), I'm thinking that would be rough on the transmission during spirited driving. I don't track the car, but do get on it at least once a day around town.

The RST is rated at 800 HP, which I assume is crank HP. So, in theory that would be around 675-700 RWHP range.

Any feedback is appreciated, thanks.
Sponsored

OP
OP
dsp4848

dsp4848

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Magnetic
Aren't both the RST and RXT twin discs?

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I mean to say "another" not "a" - like Exedy or Centerforce, etc.? Seems to be a broader application range if you branch out.

Dalton@Evolution

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dalton
Vehicle(s)
First 2020 GT500 In Da 9z
In my personal opinion as I have the RST in my N/A car. Its a great clutch drives better then stock. I believe the pedal to be lighter with this clutch. I will be going with a steeda clutch spring 100% in the near future. Now on to a boosted application. I have 2 customers with prochargers that have RSTs with no complaints. I also have customers with the stock clutch make 720rwhp with a tvs. I think you will be fine doing the RST. Heck in about 3 months ill be boosted with one.

Sponsored

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
I have the RST twin on my Whipple blown stroker (597 rwhp) in a 2005 GT. Never had a problem with it, but I only hit the track every now and then. From what I've heard the RST doesn't do well on repeated hard drag strip launches with slicks or good quality drag radials.

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP, 2021 Whipple'd F150
I highly recommend the RXT over the RST for a supercharged application. The RST although a great clutch it doesn't like to get hot. It's also not meant for drag racing so if you plan on taking the cat to the strip or will be racing it (which we all know you will. LOL) then the RXT is a much better choice.

We've got Mcleod clutches on sale all day today and on the 23rd for 20% off and free shipping.

If you have any other questions give me a call. I've run the RXT's in all of my project cars and have lot of experience with them.

Looking forward to doing business with you.

Thanks, Jared

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aren't both the RST and RXT twin discs?
Yes they're both twin discs. The RST uses an organic compound where the RXT uses metallic discs.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks, Jared

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I want to know which one would be better for road course application...

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I want to know which one would be better for road course application...
RXT all the way. The RST will not last long in a road course application due to the heat it will see.

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Noted. Thanks!

Now somehow my OEM clutch is still fine despite re-learning how to drive a stick after 5 years, road course hell, a number of drag strip runs... so I will have to wait.

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
Does anyone have a McLeod RST installed with their supercharger setup? If so, what power level are you at and what is your experience? Is the clutch holding up?

The reason I ask is that I'll be installing a 3.6" pulley Paxton setup in a month or so and am looking for a clutch to go with. I'll run the stock clutch for a while and then have an aftermarket one ready to go in in case to stock one starts slipping.

I know a lot of guys on here seem to be running the RXT, but my only concern is that it is too much clutch for the MT82 transmission. Since it bites harder than the RST (ceramic vs. organic), I'm thinking that would be rough on the transmission during spirited driving. I don't track the car, but do get on it at least once a day around town.

The RST is rated at 800 HP, which I assume is crank HP. So, in theory that would be around 675-700 RWHP range.

Any feedback is appreciated, thanks.
So I believe you are correct as I have the RXT and have blown through one MT82 already....so...I have changed my driving habits and shifting method to not be as harsh on the drive train. I love the RXT.

alrodri8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I believe there is a Roush-Charged GT(Paul) running 9.47 in the quarter mile with an RST clutch with a large amount of track passes, so they hold up to good power. The issue with them is heat with the organic compound, you have to let your car cool a bit between pulls or passes down the track at higher HP levels. I went with the RXT. I use and abuse my car at the strip and off the strip and my MT82 is still kicking**crosses fingers**. The only issue I have with the RXT is the chatter sound is magnified through my aluminum driveshaft, I may just upgrade to a Carbon Fiber from Aluminum through DSS just to get rid of the chatter during lower RPMs.

OP
OP
dsp4848

dsp4848

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Magnetic
Yeah, that's the only thing that concerns me with the RXT, is destroying the MT82. But, I'm sure that that is mostly how hard you are banging through gears and the shifting technique used. I like the power capabilities of the RXT, but I also don't want to make the transmission the weak link in the drivetrain...other pieces are much easier and cheaper to replace.

That's good to hear there are some high HP cars running the RST. But as long as the RXT is daily driver friendly, I could go with it. Decisions, decisions.

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Yeah, that's the only thing that concerns me with the RXT, is destroying the MT82. But, I'm sure that that is mostly how hard you are banging through gears and the shifting technique used. I like the power capabilities of the RXT, but I also don't want to make the transmission the weak link in the drivetrain...other pieces are much easier and cheaper to replace.

That's good to hear there are some high HP cars running the RST. But as long as the RXT is daily driver friendly, I could go with it. Decisions, decisions.
Kind of funny how the internet works. Could have sworn I saw another thread that ended up with the consensus that the RST was the more DD friendly option without any drawbacks??
Sponsored