Auto Transmission Clunk

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
Just noticed a loud thunk today when shifting the car from park to reverse. After driving the car the few miles back home I tried it out again and got a more metallic noise. No issues when going form park to drive and back to park or from reverse to park. Car has 1500 miles on it. Have a oil change scheduled Saturday and planning on having them check it out. Anybody run into this?
Sponsored

georgev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Base Auto
Only time I heard a thunk was when the service guy parked my car on a decline and didn't set the parking brake.

OP
OP

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
This was on a flat surface. I had set the parking brake. Started the car, released the parking brake with the brake pedal still depressed, moved the lever to R and thunk. Repeated it several times consistently. Rather violent noise.

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Just noticed a loud thunk today when shifting the car from park to reverse. After driving the car the few miles back home I tried it out again and got a more metallic noise. No issues when going form park to drive and back to park or from reverse to park. Car has 1500 miles on it. Have a oil change scheduled Saturday and planning on having them check it out. Anybody run into this?
Definitely bring your vehicle in to your Ford Dealership and get it looked at, Labradog. Once you make your appointments, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number. I’ll get this escalated to the customer service manager for your area.

Deysha

2015 Silver GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT Premium
You're probably hearing the two piece driveshaft.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the support, Deysha. The Ford dealerships in my area only have service hours Mon-Fri so I'll have to make an appointment for early next week due to my work schedule. Will send you a PM as soon as I know the details.

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Thanks for the support, Deysha. The Ford dealerships in my area only have service hours Mon-Fri so I'll have to make an appointment for early next week due to my work schedule. Will send you a PM as soon as I know the details.
No problem, Labradog! I’ll keep an eye out for your PM.

Deysha

R2 AUTO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I'm at 9776 miles. I have a 2016 GT Base. I am having the same issue. My transmission felt like it bucked me one time and on multiple occasions it feels like the transmission is slipping. I am going to bring mine in Tuesday to have the oil changed. I am thinking maybe I should have the transmission fluid changed as well...something isn't right! I have a buddy next door with the same car and feels noticeably different.

OP
OP

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Update time: Dealership tried re-torquing the nuts on the engine side of the driveshaft but no dice. They called into Ford Engineering and are going to update me tomorrow. Missing my baby, but hopefully this will be resolved soon.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Same here 2,700 miles. Not as bad as previous M6 car, but the sloppy driveshaft, and loose ring and pinion tolerances make for the same clunking as the manual cars just not as bad but still there.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Update time: Dealership tried re-torquing the nuts on the engine side of the driveshaft but no dice. They called into Ford Engineering and are going to update me tomorrow. Missing my baby, but hopefully this will be resolved soon.
So any updates?

Boss226

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
OP did they fix your Tranny? I am having kind of the same issue, I hear a thud (click) going from park to drive and when braking before i come to a complete stop it makes the same noise also when coasting and I touch the gas I feel a thud. Car has 10,000miles and I do occasional street race

OP
OP

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
OK so the last I heard Ford Engineering didn't think anything was mechanically wrong with the car. The dealership is going to let me know when they have a like car to check for the same noise. I haven't heard the metallic clank (the best way I can describe it was like when a rock bounces off of a metal pipe) in a while. At this point I'm not gonna worry about it

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
My auto transmission sometimes makes a metal clink sound when shifting into reverse. I personally don't think it's anything to worry about.

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
My auto started out making the metal clink sound every now and again. I ignored it. After 45k+ miles and replacing lots of suspension parts along with having the rear end out of the car, twice, the sound kept getting worst and worst. It got to the point where it would happen on every shift and when letting off the accelerator. I stated looking at the tailshaft and where the driveshaft connect as some dealers reported replacing the output shaft flange seal. this is also where I heard the loudest noise from while twisting the drive shaft back and forth.

http://cdn.stangtv.com/image/2015/12/2015-12-12_02-18-27.jpg

The orange rubber thing in this picture(output shaft flange seal) is what I found to be the problem. As I twisted the drive shaft it twisted with the shaft. I pressed it back into the transmission and it stopped twisting with the drive shaft. The clink noise was gone.

If someone else has this clink sound I would say put the car up in the air and in neutral. twist the drive shaft and see if the seal is seated properly or if it is free riding on the output shaft flange.

http://edidist-public.sharepoint.co...ssion/1040020 - 6R80 Service Manual Rev 1.pdf

page 5-15 has the procedure on how to replace/ repair your seal, if interested.
Sponsored