BTM

I redline at 11,000rpm
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Thunder Roadster GT-R / ST3
Nice! We both got lucky with the weather… You got to have clean autocross runs, and I got to host a kids birthday pool party…

Bummed I'm going to miss this one, the course looks super fun, and pretty different from the one at Mather last month - they do a great job of mixing it up.

Guess I'll have to wait for 2017 for the next one… Too bad the club isn't able to get that site for more than two weekends a year.
Sponsored

Kona1869

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michelle
Vehicle(s)
2015 50th Anniversary Mustang #1869 (Kona)
That would be him.

So the '14 Mustang GT that was there was running upper 50s. I ran upper 60s. Experience (and tires) does count for a lot. :) And the stock tires are just horribad.

note to self: stop engine braking.
So be honest.....are you going back out to do it again tomorrow :headbang:

ilkhan

435 ilkhan approved HP.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[Gone 2016 400A] > 2017 F150
Nice! We both got lucky with the weather… You got to have clean autocross runs, and I got to host a kids birthday pool party…

Bummed I'm going to miss this one, the course looks super fun, and pretty different from the one at Mather last month - they do a great job of mixing it up.

Guess I'll have to wait for 2017 for the next one… Too bad the club isn't able to get that site for more than two weekends a year.
Yeah the site was pretty nice. Pavement all broken up, but just cracked not heaving up. So not too bad.

Aside from the 2 hairpins it was all sweepers that the 'vettes just ate up.

I took a cell video of a CTS-V going around that hairpin turn when working the station, stopped recording about 2 seconds before he spun out right after the second real tight turn and made a giant cloud of tire smoke.

Couple guys (mostly miatas, one of the tube chassis deals) came in way too hot and ended up having to circle around to get back on course on that hairpin. :)

So be honest.....are you going back out to do it again tomorrow :headbang:
I wish. Tomorrow is dedicated to sleeping and then putting a set of new parts on my GT. This is it for the moment. Still considering thunderhill July 9th. Would get me on track without costing that much money. It ain't Laguna, but its closer, flatter, and cheaper.

Kona1869

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michelle
Vehicle(s)

Here's a pic I caught of you on Sac Raceway autocross course.
IMG_20160521_211047.jpg

OP
OP
BTM

BTM

I redline at 11,000rpm
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Here's a pic I caught of you on Sac Raceway autocross course.
Thanks!! I saw lots of people taking pics that day, and was hoping Sac Raceway would post a few on website or FB, but not yet...

Sponsored

Kona1869

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michelle
Vehicle(s)
Thanks!! I saw lots of people taking pics that day, and was hoping Sac Raceway would post a few on website or FB, but not yet...
I know, I saw all the cameras too but no photos:(

OP
OP
BTM

BTM

I redline at 11,000rpm
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
So, the NCRC event at T-Hill yesterday was a blast! Highly recommend this group, the track day was very well run, with enough structure to keep everything safe and on time, but not wasting time with fluffery.

Big thanks to [MENTION=23117]GT_Roadcourse_Newb[/MENTION], who generously offered to take me for a ride for some hot laps, and describe his lines and thought process in live time (BTW, he's not a track driving newbie, but rather a very experienced and excellent driver - just a newbie to the S550). Made all the difference for me, I'll describe more below!

Event format was 5 x 20min track sessions on Thunderhill's 3 mile circuit, run CCW without using bypass, which means a tricky drop-away sharp left where you're blind for a couple seconds.

First session: tires cold, brain cold, a bit of moisture and some track surface junk from them running LeMons last weekend. I put tires in the dirt on the above-mentioned Turn 5 on the very first lap, and promptly got black flagged. This means I had to leave the track, talk to an organizer, and missed the rest of the session. This is the right thing to do, BTW, very important that everyone stays in control...

Second session: feeling a bit gun-shy, decided to tiptoe around the track to get comfortable. Lap times in the mid 2:30's........sloooooow

***John gives me ride, shows lines, which I am more than happy to "borrow"***

Third Session: Cut 20sec off lap times, best 2:16

Fourth Session: Hit 2:16 again, but had some slower laps in traffic (but still fun!) and had to pull off early because I was about to run out of gas. FYI, the final quarter tank seems to go twice as fast as any of the first three quarters...

Fifth (Bonus!) Session: The solo groups were awarded a bonus session at the end, many fewer cars opted in, so some nice clean runs possible. Had some fun with a C7 Vette.

Harry's Lap Timer running on my iPhone, mounted to RAM mirror mount, worked awesome. Takes video, times laps, records track position, g's, max cornering and straight speeds in live time - and overlays on video, check it out;

Fastest lap (chasing C7, couldn't quite stay on him):

Another 2:16:

And one more:

Having some fun chasing a Subie, didn't get a chance to track down and talk to the driver, but I'm curious what power mods he had - his car was only slightly slower on the straights than mine:

A guy named Dito was out there taking professional quality pics, his company is called gotbluemilk.com. I usually don't go for that kind of stuff, but he caught some good shots, so I ponied up and bought the digital album. Here it is on Flickr (plus a few of my own shots, should be obvious): https://www.flickr.com/gp/135955357@N08/09Lb31

And just a few attached to whet your appetite...

Good Times!! :clap2:
NCRC T-Hill 1.JPG
NCRC T-Hill 2.JPG
NCRC T-Hill 3.JPG
NCRC T-Hill 4.JPG

ilkhan

435 ilkhan approved HP.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, the NCRC event at T-Hill yesterday was a blast! Highly recommend this group, the track day was very well run, with enough structure to keep everything safe and on time, but not wasting time with fluffery.
Good Times!! :clap2:
Damn you, convincing me to spend money. Looks like you had a blast.

Just signed up for the July 9th track day with NCRS@thunderhill.

I don't think I'll be doing any other autocross/track-days this year, so I'd better enjoy this one.

OP
OP
BTM

BTM

I redline at 11,000rpm
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Damn you, convincing me to spend money. Looks like you had a blast.

Just signed up for the July 9th track day with NCRS@thunderhill.

I don't think I'll be doing any other autocross/track-days this year, so I'd better enjoy this one.
You won't regret it! Money can always be re-made...ha :crazy:

I might be up for that one too....we'll see how the work/fam schedule plays out

ilkhan

435 ilkhan approved HP.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You won't regret it! Money can always be re-made...ha :crazy:

I might be up for that one too....we'll see how the work/fam schedule plays out
Well I'll be in the DS group, but it'd be nice to see another S550 out there.

Sponsored

GT_Roadcourse_Newb

noob@cartech,prefer2drive
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT-PP::2000 Honda s2000::1996 Nissan Maxima
Hey [MENTION=21104]BTM[/MENTION], thanks for the mention and creating the thread!

Had a great time bro - Kudos to you on the driving too, quality stuff!

Also agree with others that this is a good thread, thanks!
Maybe we can get more Mustang interest/ presence at the incredible tracks we have in range of (almost) one tank of gas, in some really fun track cars !! :headbang:

I'm pretty excited... just got the car back after a bunch of Steeda suspension upgrades and I have a track day this Monday, Memorial Day - T-Hill 5 Mile Track! zomg 5 mile track... :hail:

edit:
!!!

OP
OP
BTM

BTM

I redline at 11,000rpm
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Definitely take video of the 5mi! Have driven both the 3 and the 2, but not together. Have seen YouTube clips of it, looks super fun.

GT_Roadcourse_Newb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Im stoked, got the vid setup ready I think!

How was the rallycross?

GT_Roadcourse_Newb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Car was awesome at Thunderhill's 5 mile track...

[MENTION=21104]BTM[/MENTION] thanks for the tip about petrolhead edition, it works great!

http://eleventenths.com/Mustang/Thill_5-mile_cyclone_best_lowrez.mp4

Working on ways to make the car (car's differential especially) run cooler now, fun semi-urgent project ftw! :headbang:
Not that urgent because next event should be nice and cool monterey by the seaish!

Cheers
:cheers:
John

OP
OP
BTM

BTM

I redline at 11,000rpm
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
No rallycross for me last weekend, I ended up getting decimated by a summer flu. Such BS, but so goes life with little kids - they bring home fortified viruses of evil that take them down for a couple days, but destroy adults for 1 week +. :mad:

I probably won't run a track event again until June 23 Track Night at the T-Hill 2mi (http://www.tracknightinamerica.com/events/1983094-track-night-2016-northern-california-june-23). For a half-day commit, 3 x 20min sessions and only $125, can't pass it up.

In the meantime, need to go practice my heel & toe on the street...

Harry's Petrolhead is awesome, can't believe it's so cheap. I mounted my phone using a RAM system of 3 pieces that gets sandwiched between the stock rearview mirror mount. When the arm and X-grip are unbolted, you can barely even notice it's there, and it's super solid on the track. Pics attached.
RAM mount 1.JPG
RAM mount 2.JPG
RAM mount 3.JPG
Sponsored