Sponsored

The Big Fat Track Car Cooling Thread

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
That would be a good option. I had to replace the entire housing because it was leaking at the block. I use MMR's Oil filter relocation/cooler kit.
http://www.modularmotorsportsracing.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=26_27&products_id=518
I like the MMR Kit, especially the price compared to the Mishi kit. Would you happen to have pics of where you remote mounted the filter? I'd love to get it mounted vertically.

I haven't really looked into the area since I'm focusing on my brakes right now, do you just cap off the lower radiator hose fittings for the factory cooler? Am I right to assume a non-PP lower hose would simply delete this and clean things up?
Sponsored

DB83

Granny Shifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT

DB83

Granny Shifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Awesome.....thanks!

Sponsored

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT

mnmike59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I like the MMR Kit, especially the price compared to the Mishi kit. Would you happen to have pics of where you remote mounted the filter? I'd love to get it mounted vertically.

I haven't really looked into the area since I'm focusing on my brakes right now, do you just cap off the lower radiator hose fittings for the factory cooler? Am I right to assume a non-PP lower hose would simply delete this and clean things up?
Sorry, just now saw your questions. I haven't had it installed yet. The Heads were sent out to be ported and I just got them back, so Its all going back together this weekend. I'll grab some pics when it's in.

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Since this is the big fat cooling thread, thought I'd document my cooling story / success here:

Car is a 2015 5.0 with twin 6262 turbo's, so anyone who wants to run twin turbo's at HPDE type track days you can do it. What you get is a track car with enough power to run with a Viper ACR, C7ZO6, GT3. I think my car is faster than the new Camaro ZL1, they disappear into the rear view mirror pretty quickly.:cheers: , and I was on 2 year old shagged out Yokohama AD08R's. Some fresh sticky rubber is coming up:

COTA Lap times are 2:36.4 Boost was 7psi, fuel was 50/50 e85, cylinder coolant temps are 230's and 240's. Turbo kit is a twinturbomustang.com low mount kit, with the large option intercooler.

I know NA cars can run faster than 2:36 at COTA, and I've still got a lot left with fresh stickier rubber and solving a small part throttle tuning issue.

Oh yeah, when I crank the boost up to +10psi and head to the drag strip, I've got a Hellcat eater as well......goal was a fun multi purpose car, and it is:ford:

Cooling mods are:
Mishimoto radiator
Anderson heat extractor hood
Earls engine oil cooler EAR-46000ERL (removed factory cooler)
Distilled water and water wetter type additive
Opened grill a little help more air enter
DIY plastic radiator shroud to force air through, not around
Ensure radiator shroud sealed, all air pass through coolers
170 degree thermo, but this doesn't help much

On a +90 degree TX day, I will need to shift at 6,000rpm to keep CHT under 250 deg F, but when ambient temps are in the mid 80's and lower, its full tilt with 7,500 rpm shifts. All testing at COTA
IMG_6071_800x600.jpg
RobPlimmer-4.jpg
IMG_6823_800x600.jpg
IMG_6822_800x600.jpg
IMG_6760_800x600.jpg

F0J

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
François
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Since this is the big fat cooling thread, thought I'd document my cooling story / success here:

Car is a 2015 5.0 with twin 6262 turbo's, so anyone who wants to run twin turbo's at HPDE type track days you can do it. What you get is a track car with enough power to run with a Viper ACR, C7ZO6, GT3. I think my car is faster than the new Camaro ZL1, they disappear into the rear view mirror pretty quickly.:cheers: , and I was on 2 year old shagged out Yokohama AD08R's. Some fresh sticky rubber is coming up:

COTA Lap times are 2:36.4 Boost was 7psi, fuel was 50/50 e85, cylinder coolant temps are 230's and 240's. Turbo kit is a twinturbomustang.com low mount kit, with the large option intercooler.

I know NA cars can run faster than 2:36 at COTA, and I've still got a lot left with fresh stickier rubber and solving a small part throttle tuning issue.

Oh yeah, when I crank the boost up to +10psi and head to the drag strip, I've got a Hellcat eater as well......goal was a fun multi purpose car, and it is:ford:

Cooling mods are:
Mishimoto radiator

On a +90 degree TX day, I will need to shift at 6,000rpm to keep CHT under 250 deg F, but when ambient temps are in the mid 80's and lower, its full tilt with 7,500 rpm shifts. All testing at COTA
:headbang:

Weight added? Estimated power gains? What's your torque around 3,500? How does the chassis take the extra power when you lay it down while turning?

Once I blow my first motor, I'm half interested doing something very similar to you.

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
:headbang:

Weight added? Estimated power gains? What's your torque around 3,500? How does the chassis take the extra power when you lay it down while turning?

Once I blow my first motor, I'm half interested doing something very similar to you.
I'm right at 3,800 lbs with driver, 3,600 lbs without me and half tank gas. The kit added about 80lbs, and then I've done a lot of shit to reduce weight, like seats, drive shaft, plenty other stuff.

Haven't dyno'd yet but turbo's start spooling around 3,000rpm, so 3,500 and above you need to be careful with getting on the gas, I've spun out being to greedy. So all the extra power can only be used straight-line, and if you have good throttle control, you can bleed it in carefully. I try to stay in 3rd and torque out of corners, 2nd is a no go.

Reactions: F0J

Sponsored

Earlj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt, 2008 Z06

Cooling mods are:
Mishimoto radiator

I would be interested in seeing the rest of your rear brake cooling if you would not mind sharing. I burned up my rear pads pretty quickly. I run G-Loc R18 front and R12 rear.
Your install of the turbo kit looks real nice!!
The temps I run in up in the Northeast are usually below 80 degrees so I don"t usually have heat problems.

Cheers!!

MaverickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
[MENTION=15674]Plimmer[/MENTION], Nice pic on track. Car looks good. I like the Anderson hood, my favorite. Blends in well. Do you have a build page?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I would be interested in seeing the rest of your rear brake cooling if you would not mind sharing. I burned up my rear pads pretty quickly. I run G-Loc R18 front and R12 rear.
Short pad life does seem to be a pretty common complaint about the XP12/R12 pads. More so than any of the other grades.

Norm

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
Bump, bump, bump it up

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Bump, bump, bump it up
OK, here is what I have been doing.

Just have the under car to plumb should have that done this weekend.

Dave
IMG_5161.jpg
IMG_5118.jpg
IMG_5162.jpg
Relay and pump diagram for diff cooler.jpg
Relay and pump plumbing for cooler.jpg
Sponsored