Sponsored

"Rear Axle Differential Temp Increased, Decrease Speed" warning

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I have a 15, so no temp sensor. Why don't you guys just unscrew the sensor and plug the hole. Zip tie the sensor out the way.
If the sensor just sends a message to the dash board, you could have the same effect by just ignoring the message, right?

If the sensor triggers a limp mode, then your method would definitely help (assuming you don't care about the temps).

Interesting idea.

-T

Gatorac

Chin Tack Days Event Mgr
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium GTPP Triple Yellow
This is my first time in a forum, but I had too. I purchased my 2016 GT PP a month a go. I'm a track fanatic with more than 600 laps at Road Atlanta. Waited to hit 1000 miles in the car and finally last weekend had my first track day on this car at Road atlanta with Chin Motorsports. Short story in the warm up section the car felt great and I was very impressed thinking I would do a low 1:40's right way.

Well on my first session first lap posted 1:48, in the second lap in the back straight at 140mph I get " Axle Over temperature, reduce speed" I was very frustrated because I sold my Evo X after having reliability issues a the track due to high powered turbo engine, which is the reason I bought this Mustang to have plenty of without forced induction stuff. I got the code P183E " Differential oil over temperature". My car has is 100% stock no Exhaust no Intake and could not do 2 laps at RA with only 1400 miles. There were 3 others 2015 GT PP at the track and nobody has ever seen that before

I called the dealer and they have not idea so I guess this forum is my only hope.
Needing to add a diff cooler to IRS equipped V8 cars is no new thing, I would expect any race shop that has worked on Corvettes could fabricate and put one on your car for you if your not the kind of guy that likes to do your own wrenching, Earlier in this tread I put a link up for a suitable pump. Get an oil cooler with a fan, fittings that fit in the fill and drain plug of the diff to convert to AN and some braided line. I haven't really looked at suitable mounting locations yet (I have a "15 so diff temp ignorance is bliss), but the spare tire well has some extra space that may work.

Wiring could be as easy or difficult has you make it. From a temp controlled switch to just a switch in the trunk on an ignition circuit that you turn on before you get strapped in for the session.

I expect not having a temp sensor in the '15 doesn't mean the diff isn't getting too hot. Just means you'll find out after your axle seals melt and drop stink fluid all over instead of the annoying dash message. :headbonk:

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Roush Warrior Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Is the IRS pumpkin vented on the 15s/16s?

Sponsored

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Roush Warrior Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks.
I remember after a hard run on a very hot day my 03 Cobra had barfed rear diff fluid in the driveway. At first it scared the hell outta me, I thought I blew a seal or something; no it barfed fluid out the vents.

GTF1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP Race Red
Thank you guys for the help, I'm going to try the 75w90 first and see what happens.

The first time I got the code I was on the Sport+ mode and got it on the second lap. On the second session I was on Track Mode and and I got it on lap 5. I was very concern about the Pirellis tire pressure because starting at 35 PSI cold they were at 41 by the second lap so I thought it had to do with it, but a guy at the track told me that tires have nothing to do with Diff temp so I was just driving it hard until getting the message.

mnmike59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
From what I'm reading.

1) Ignore the warning and run a catch can for the vent tube. :D
2) Pull the sensor and plug the hole and run a catch can.
3) Buy an after market cooler

A question: Would option #2 cause any problems???? I'm assuming no because the 2015s don't have the temp sensor.

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
From what I'm reading.

1) Ignore the warning and run a catch can for the vent tube. :D
2) Pull the sensor and plug the hole and run a catch can.
3) Buy an after market cooler

A question: Would option #2 cause any problems???? I'm assuming no because the 2015s don't have the temp sensor.
I see no reason to do anything, catch can is not needed if the rear axle is filled to the correct level, about 9mm below the fill hole.

To keep the warning from populating the display screen so you can see tire pressures during a session I would try buying a sensor and plugging the harness into it and secure it under the car. That way the PCM is still receiving a clean signal return voltage and it will not set codes or light up the display like a Christmas tree.

From what I understand about the circuit (Ford Technical Info very slim-most of it is geared towards GT350 which is looking at temp all the time because of the virtual gauge and to turn pump on and off-but trip point is same) it has to reach a threshold return voltage (what ever the sensor resistance is at 293F(? I think) and then it logs the fault.

GTF1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds great!
A site note, when the message pops up, it goes away in like 2 seconds, so you still can see your regular screen. I was actually on the lap timer when it happened the first time and it when back to the timer right away:)
1462544356.axleovertemp.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP
Brent Dalton

Brent Dalton

Sua Sponte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Also of note, fluid rapidly degrades at 310 degrees. The flip side of that is I'm not seeing alot of failed diff threads. But it generally won't be a catastrophic failure like you see from drag launches, it will be melted bearings, etc...

My car did not go into limp mode, but I'm not going to push the car after the warning. Maybe if I was racing w2w, but this car only sees track days and time trials. I only need that one flyer lap. I'll let someone else test that theory. However, diff's for these cars aren't that expensive, all things considered. I'd still rather take care of mine as long as I can. :)

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
I'd like to point out that the additives in most axle oils - especially anything with modifiers in them - tend to start cooking out of the solution around 325 degrees F. By giving you a warning that you are approaching the 300 degree threshold, you're being notified that you're about to start compromising your axle lube. As a axle guy, I'd think that's a real nice bit of information to have...

OP
OP
Brent Dalton

Brent Dalton

Sua Sponte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Tommy, do you think your "BG ULTRA-GUARD LS 2015-2016 FORD MUSTANG REAR AXLE LUBE CHANGE KIT" will be enough to save my track day?:)
On a side note, you should come out and do the NASA event at Road Atlanta June 4-5.

GTF1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did NASA one time, but the track time I get with Chin Motorsports is way more, and they have the most experience and mature crowd. I'll be next moth again with either Chin or MVP track time.
Sponsored