2017 GT350R, 1966 Couple (347 Stroker)

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
I am grateful to this forum and all the warnings available on similar threads. I had ample warning not to let my dealer install the splitter before I took delivery in January 2016. I installed my own splitter with the provided, albeit, shitty instructions and the video. No issues at all! I just don't see how you can mess up the install of these splitters???!!! SMH....baffled! My tech even replaced hardware that broke during the removal/install required for the replacement of my engine and installed it correctly. How do I know? I took of the belly pan and checked.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Can the existing shifters be updated?
Seconded. Curious before I install the original one I have. :)
If you are having an issue, yes. I recommend installing the unit you have sitting in a box. There are very few that reported issue.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
If you are having an issue, yes. I recommend installing the unit you have sitting in a box. There are very few that reported issue.
I was hoping George did his magic and made the tremec 3160 into a sequential trans with just a shifter swap. :lol:

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
There was a guy George and I were following that was doing sequential shifters for other Tremec boxes...

[ame]

Sponsored

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
That's similar to the LONG Vgate shifter on my Jericho dr4.

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
I had a good friend at Ford fix this for me while fixing another guy's mess from a recent oil change. Finally no gap and it feels good to look down there again.

morjo02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby
Just got back from a three day jaunt to Georgia to see my good friend George from MGW shifters. My visit had much to do with an installation and testing of his upcoming second run of shifter for the GT350, followed with a 2+ hour drive (each way) and a track day at Roebling Road Raceway in Georgia. He never stops innovating and improving and the latest version proves it. I already have one and I liked this one even more and I'll share that in another thread.

Anyway, George had splitter issues due to an incorrect installation by his selling dealer. He was at VIR when the splitter started nosediving towards the tarmac due to missing fasteners. The dealer subsequently agreed to install a new one, which they did. Then when the car was in for service, the dealer pulled off part of the new splitter for "access" and then failed to reseat everything once again. With the upcoming track day George picked up yet another splitter as he wasn't sure if all the fasteners were in properly (or there at all) and I think he thought it might not be a bad idea to have extra pieces if he didn't use everything.

I got off the plane and took a look at his GT350 up on a lift within an hour of arriving at his manufacturing facility. My own splitter was incorrectly installed and needed to be reinstalled so I was eager to see if his was any different than mine. His car was up on one of his two lifts and ready for surgery.

As I suspected, his splitter tabs weren't seated.:)

His existing splitter had some small scratches, etc, where the rivets are but nothing too bad. As much as it looked like I could make everything work I decided to open the splitter still in the box from Autonation. I wanted to take a look at the hardware list too. I immediately saw a problem. See how long it takes you to identify it...

I told George about having two RH "winglets" and no left and he called Autonation. They suggested he send everything back. Apparently the winglets don't have individual part numbers so they couldn't just exchange a right for a left. So before reboxing everything I documented the hardware. First was cost.

Beyond the three pieces that comprise the splitter, there is a bag of fasteners included.

And aside from the install videos that Ford generated (that have been ignored by so many at the dealer service level) there was also two pages of instructions. They looked like declassified documents from the Truman era that had been copied over by a vintage potato copy machine. If this is all the service people care to look at then it is no wonder they decide to roundfile half of the fasteners.

I placed everything back in the box and went to work on the existing unit. I removed most every fastener, inspecting all the mounting points, and reinstalled. I used a rubber mallet to seat the splitter tabs into the fascia while applying upward pressure from the leading edge of the splitter. I then put all the screws back in.

Worked perfectly. The lengthy drive the next day was without issue and ~145 mph speeds on the straight at Roebling validated the install. The underside, in pretty good shape...

I had ordered an R model splitter for my own GT350 and it was sitting on my doorstep when I got back home. I plan on adding it to better manage airflow at speed (the spoiler will be addressed as well) and see it as a piece that increases the performance potential of the vehicle. The "faux R" argument is not one I dwell on. Like adding better tires, upgrading engine performance, etc, I see this the same way as a hardware upgrade. Plain and simple.

It comes in a similar sized box to the regular GT350 splitter as much as it is one piece as opposed to three.

Three times the cost of the regular splitter. Clearly priced to diminish popular demand.

At least it came with clear and concise color instructions.

I'm going to wait to install it until I do the oil cooler lines that were recalled. I also have my own ideas about protecting it from scrapes and will work on that in the near future and implement that on install as well.

If it'll help, I put the following together to show what hardware is needed for each splitter as the two kits are not exactly the same. These were pulled from the second page of instructions for each splitter.

Great post and many thanks

drainey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt 350, magnetic with white strip
I am ordering extra hardware. Am missing several screws.
Ford site does not show a W700528-S439. silver j clips

Any one have correct or updated part number

OP
OP
Steve68

Steve68

Mr. Robot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 2018 Jeep JLUR, 2020 F-150

Sponsored

AndreiD

converted Ford fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2009 BMW X6 50i, 2012 BMW K1300R
Can't we just order the full set of nuts and bolts that's in the bag, instead of individual part no?

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
Took delivery of my 2017 GT350 today. Did not know about or notice the splitter today when taking delivery. Got home and noticed mine was exactly like the one pictured above. Of course the dealership is 2 hours away. I called them and they insisted it was installed properly but I can take it to my local dealership to be fixed under warranty. WTF???

FireAnt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Understand that the dealer is using the same kid who preps the car to install the splitter.
It's a matter of $$$$
Most dealerships assume it's an easy install and thus we have all the improper mountings.
Be glad you have forums like this to get it resolved correctly.

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
I had time to get under there today and took a few pics. None of the 4 screws that go in at the 45 degree angle are there nor are that any tool marks from them ever being installed. I did the rubber mallet and shop towel trick and knocked it into submission. Headed to dealership now to seek a proper install.
IMG_5935.jpg
IMG_5936.jpg
IMG_5939.jpg
Splitter 2.jpg

OP
OP
Steve68

Steve68

Mr. Robot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 2018 Jeep JLUR, 2020 F-150
Good on ya for taking a look. Yours isn't the first (by a long shot) that we've seen where they left out fasteners, including the "45 degree" screws (probably won't be the last.) If there's any damage to the splitter due to their carelessness you should insist on getting a brand new one. And since they botched the install the first time you might insist on being present for the install the second go around. If they won't allow you in the service bay then definitely insist on inspecting it before leaving the stealership.
Sponsored

Last edited: