Sponsored

Proposed Solo Class STP(ony)

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Looks like SCCA is considering a dedicated Pony car Street Touring class - STP. See the recently released Fasttrack.

Bad news, the 2015+ Mustang is not included and IRS cars are limited to 285mm tires (live axel cars are allowed 315mm).

So write those letters now to allow the 2015 in, and allow 305mm tires and 11" wheels with IRS.
Sponsored

ecolulz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecostang, magnetic, base, PP, Recaros
Why not run STU?

Areddi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP Grabber Blue
I saw this, and I like it. I think their goals are:
  • Get modern cars out of CAM
  • Get muscle cars out of STU where they don't stand a chance against boost buggies
  • Allow for people who do mods, which many muscle car owners do, to not have to buy slicks and run in SP or higher

It makes sense to me. I am planning an FS build with my car once it comes in, but the prospect of having an ST class that is not STU is pretty cool. I am always leery of too many classing being offered though.

As for the 2015+ Mustang and Camaro, I would be shocked if they weren't added in. I think they just don't want to throw them in now until they see if there is general interest for the class.

apex15stangPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
So going back to this......

2015 Mustang GT that is modded now would fall in what class? I run CAM-C now but locally its not competitive. What other classes could I run?

Coilovers/bushings/bars/285 tires/intake/tune/exhaust

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
So going back to this......

2015 Mustang GT that is modded now would fall in what class? I run CAM-C now but locally its not competitive. What other classes could I run?

Coilovers/bushings/bars/285 tires/intake/tune/exhaust
What kind of bushings?

Sponsored

apex15stangPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
differinal bushings and rear cradle lock out kit.

ABQautoxer

Autox Junkie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
The 2015 GT Options right now are FS, Cam-C, ESP, SM, etc.

Personally I think it would be more interesting if everything Fox body and later was in STP. The only thing I would like to see outside the normal ST rule set is rear gear ratio changes. This would help the camaros a bit thought 18s with the upcoming 285/30/18 should help a lot but it would make the 2015 on par with the others in terms of gearing without having to buy a non-PP to get that gearing.

If this happens, it could be where my Mustang goes for 2017...that is until I buy the next whatever the car is to have for FS.

apex15stangPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP

Personally I think it would be more interesting if everything Fox body and later was in STP. The only thing I would like to see outside the normal ST rule set is rear gear ratio changes. This would help the camaros a bit thought 18s with the upcoming 285/30/18 should help a lot but it would make the 2015 on par with the others in terms of gearing without having to buy a non-PP to get that gearing.

If this happens, it could be where my Mustang goes for 2017...that is until I buy the next whatever the car is to have for FS.
Car is to modded for FS, Cam-c is what I run now, ESP you need slicks, SM Ill have to look locally.

Thanks

ABQautoxer

Autox Junkie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Your car is not FS legal if I read what you just wrote correctly. It's CAM-C, could be STP legal if 2015s are allowed.

apex15stangPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Thanks Tom, nice showing at Nationals. I should have went this year, just to busy with moving. I'm trying to embed myself more locally now get to know new autox sites and road courses. Looks like there is a lot of fun to have in my new area.

Sponsored

ABQautoxer

Autox Junkie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I almost didn't go myself but friends talked me into it reminding me how much fun I would have. I'm glad I went more so for the people but the result was great too.

Also, you might be aware of this keep in mind one of the fastest guys in the sport and a great instructor is in your area and drove Mustangs now to two national championships (FS and ESP). Brian is great guy too.

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
differinal bushings and rear cradle lock out kit.
As long as they are none-metallic bushings, you should be fine.

I'm a little confused by your comment on different gear. As long as you use a final drive that is an option of your model car for its year, why can you not change the gear? Yes, the ST rules do not say you can change gearing, BUT, let me present this scenario: What is left on a GT PP car when you prep it to ST or SP? .... the final drive ration, the torsen and the engine cooling bits. Aside from the final drive ratio, you can add the torsen and the cooling bits to the car under ST allowances (minus the radiator, but that can be added in SP). The extra cooling is not a tie breaker in autocross for these cars. So, who's to know the difference between a GT PP car (without the upgraded radiator) that had it's final drive changed to a 3.55 or 3.31 from a GT that came with 3.31 or 3.55 and then added the brakes and torsen from one another? This is 100% legal per the SCCA solo rules as you can add the brakes and torsen in ST and Street allows you to convert a car to another package of the same model and year.

ABQautoxer

Autox Junkie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I get what you are saying but here is the GT PP breakdown:

• Strut-tower brace
• Larger radiator
• Unique chassis tuning
• Upsized rear sway bar
• Heavy-duty front springs
• Interior gauge pack (oil pressure and vacuum)
• K brace
• Brembo™ six-piston front brake calipers with larger rotors
• Unique 19” x 9”(F) 19” x 9.5” (R) Ebony Black-Painted Aluminum Wheels
• Optional 19”x 9”(F) 19” x 9.5” (R) Luster Nickel Aluminum Wheels
• 255/40R19 (F) 275/40R19(R) summer-only tires*
• Unique EPAS, ABS and stability control tuning
• 3.73 TORSEN® rear axle

STB, springs, sway bars, brakes, etc all can be changed in ST. The Dash, k brace, radiator, etc would all have to be removed/changed in a package conversion because they are not C&C items. I do agree thought it would be ideal to start with a base GT with no PP but since I already have a PP I would start there. But the 5th gen camaro as the opposite gearing problem. Also gear swaps are one of the most common mods on pony cars after I/H/E/Tune for acceleration.

Honestly ESP fixes everything I'd want to change except for fender cutting and race tire logistics.

OP
OP
Grintch

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I would call the dash a C&C item. Alternate gauges are specifically allowed and the simulated engined turned panel is just a styling change. Does ST not allow HD radiators? But I agree the K member is an issue.

ABQautoxer

Autox Junkie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I would call the dash a C&C item. Alternate gauges are specifically allowed and the simulated engined turned panel is just a styling change. Does ST not allow HD radiators? But I agree the K member is an issue.
I think you're going to be wrong about the dash. It's its a completely different part, no 3rd vent. That's definitely an update/backdate or package swap to get that dash change done and no Street or ST legal. I served on various rules committees for years, while not the end all for this kind of thing I've see the various things asked/protested over the years.

No radiator allowance in ST, just oil coolers now.
Sponsored