Sponsored

DIY Grille Delete?

Nick71692

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 PP Mustang
I just finished cutting mine out and will likely be adding the mesh, but am curious how everyone is getting the mesh to attach?

M3Convert

American Muscle Noob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Deep Impact Blue GT Premium
I just finished cutting mine out and will likely be adding the mesh, but am curious how everyone is getting the mesh to attach?
Auto GOOP. Looks like shit on the hidden backside, however allows for small variations of fitment, but the bit you see should be "clean"

EDIT: Use the cut out grille as a cutting template to ensure you get the curve right, and use zip ties to hold down the new grille while it bonds

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
Here's my homemade grill deletes. About one and a half beers worth of time. Did it with a small cut off wheel.

MasterCylinder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(sold)17 GT
Question though - has anyone notice any issues with how the radiator cools or other issues?

I ask this because part of grill comes blocked off from the factory. Additionally someone had mentioned an issue with excessive air under the hood and another one stating water?

Anyone see any additional hood flutter/lifting after opening up their grill? A hood in the windshield at high speeds wouldn't be fun...

Anyone have any issues with excess water getting anywhere it shouldnt be? Either from washing with a pressure washer or just massive amount of rain?

Also subbed.

Sponsored

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
Question though - has anyone notice any issues with how the radiator cools or other issues?

I ask this because part of grill comes blocked off from the factory. Additionally someone had mentioned an issue with excessive air under the hood and another one stating water?
I don't have any issues with it. I have a little bit of hood flutter, but I intend to do the Roush hood vents with cut outs to help with excess pressure. As far as cooling goes, my car seems to have less of a difficult time cooling. I noticed a decent drop in IAT's and Coolant head temps. About 5 degrees overall.

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
thinking of trying this but afraid to take front bumper off (have to anyway to put Velossa Big Mouth on). Anyone sell a set already modified for a decent price? Looking at getting extra from the 'bay but with that cost plus the custom grill kit will be out of pocket about $200 already.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
FWIW based on news videos, If you are lazy, you can get a protestor to delete your grill by driving Betsy DeVos to a school.

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
got a take off set from the 'bay. will cut it up then add mesh to the grill. like having the factory set laying around just in case.

Sponsored

Spartan_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT/PP M/T
After reading this whole thread, I feel inclined to make my own grill! Although tempted I will most likely be getting a pre-bent and cut sheet from customcargrills! Such great work from everyone though! Very inspiring! I will also be looking at doing a Michigan State spartan head badge offset on the upper grill, if I don't like the looks of that I will probably go with the howler badge

GreenGuardian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Piece of cake indeed, did my upper over the weekend. The trick is to take your time, do not be in a rush. I bought the upper for $41, mesh (16x48 customcargrille) for $60, goop for $7, and a can of trim and bumper paint for $12 (not necessary but it looks so much better). A few beers and a couple of days and ended up with this. Now I have the lower ($60) to do. So, total for upper and lower will be $168.

After doing this though, I'm wondering if the hood needs to be reinforced somehow to make up for the more open space and air that will be getting under the hood?
Grille delete2.jpg
Grille delete.jpg
Grille delete1.jpg

jdoug

Regular Guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10
A set of hood struts will take care of the hood stability issue. It did for me even though my grille is still stock for now.

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
Subbed.

Anyone noticed custom car grilles are now using adhesive tabs/bases which locate the cable ties to mount the wire mesh rather than just the adhesive itself? I've seen two different techniques in their videos, the more primitive method with just the adhesive looks a lot less time consuming but wonder why they changed to the bases?

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
Cut my upper and lower grilles out today in prep for CCG honeycomb mesh. At first I was a little worried that the cut didn't look perfectly straight but as long as you get it about 85% right you can't tell once the mesh is mounted up against the remaining framed section.

Sponsored