Sponsored

Rumor - The GT500 thread

Big reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti FX50S
Lethal Performance has one coming and they already stated they will be throwing a 2.9 Whipple and American Racing headers on as soon as it shows up. Guess we'll see the limits of the Voodoo soon.
Sponsored

Poppacapp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
The way I understand it, the VooDoo motor is not very well suited for forced induction.

MadCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
[ame]

6.2 based 460ci motor. 850hp n/a and 8500rpm

I would like to see Ford match GM cube for cube. I know it won't happen but if I were making the next specialty stang it would be based on the overlooked 6.2. Don Bowles tested it in racing before it came out but so far it's racing life has been little to non existent. Make a nice thick aluminum block casting with plenty of meat in the cylinders and mains. Cast a new set of heads. Maybe DOHC if it will fit in the engine compartment. Stroke and poke to 7.0 and call it a boss 427 or 429. 700hp n/a, 7000 rpm, 7.0L. That would give the top mustang more exclusivity and separate it from it's lesser brethren. But then it might have a more awesome motor that the GT supercar.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Anyone notice in the latest issue of Hot Rod one of the big wigs at Ford was discussing the Ford GT and he said that the Ford GT is getting the LITTLE EcoBoost engine (meaning the V6)?

Slip of the tongue? Means there is a big EcoBoost?

Gotta be a V8, right?!? :thumbsup:

Sponsored

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Anyone notice in the latest issue of Hot Rod one of the big wigs at Ford was discussing the Ford GT and he said that the Ford GT is getting the LITTLE EcoBoost engine (meaning the V6)?

Slip of the tongue? Means there is a big EcoBoost?

Gotta be a V8, right?!? :thumbsup:
Can you take a snapshot of the article?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Can you take a snapshot of the article?
Here's a clip of the statement. You can probably get the entire article at Hot Rod's website or some such.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Well, that could also just mean its small compared to the traditional V8

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Yeah. Could just be mentioning how the GT could be so small by utilizing an engine that is also small (in comparison to the traditional v8 route).

That said, I don't expect the GT500 to use anything other then a TT V8.

It will produce way more power than a boosted 6, sound way better, and have more potential down the road.

A turbo 6 makes sense in a tiny car if that was the main goal.

Still, the GT using a 6 and the Raptor using a 6 (??? Seriously? The RAPTOR TRUCK???) does give some weight to speculation concerning Fords power plant roadmap.

Here's hoping someone with spine steps in to halt such nonsense.

Sponsored

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
I doubt Ford puts less hp than a Hellcat into the new GT500, which basically crosses off the EB 3.5 motor. Best guess is an EB Coyote - that would be something to see from the factory.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I doubt Ford puts less hp than a Hellcat into the new GT500, which basically crosses off the EB 3.5 motor. Best guess is an EB Coyote - that would be something to see from the factory.
In past, EB included direct injection, which the Coyote currently doesn't have.

They might do a TTV8 in the GT500, but I doubt they'd call it an EB, unless they add DI at the same time they are updating to turbos.

I do think the car will have a boosted V8, just not sure if it will be TT or S/C.

-T

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Well, that could also just mean its small compared to the traditional V8
I wouldn't say so. He said it's the small EcoBoost. He didn't say this V6 EcoBoost is smaller than a V8. He said small EcoBoost. Totally different.

AFAIK the V6 is the BIG EcoBoost, because the other production EcoBoost engines are all 4 cylinders. Am I wrong here?

I think this is a definitive answer as to whether Ford is working on a V8 EcoBEAST. :eyebulge:

Of course nothing is official. :ninja:

I totally agree.

In past, EB included direct injection, which the Coyote currently doesn't have.

They might do a TTV8 in the GT500, but I doubt they'd call it an EB, unless they add DI at the same time they are updating to turbos.

I do think the car will have a boosted V8, just not sure if it will be TT or S/C.

-T
I'm thinking the Coyote will be getting direct injection at some point, so this might be a way to develop a few things Ford wants/needs for future cars.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback