Sponsored

Manual Trans. Thud when shifting

5LITER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt base 6spd mans transmission
My previous car of 10 years was a mazdaspeed6. It also has a getrag transmission and makes the same thuds as my 16 gt. 120k miles later and it was fine until i sold it. I truly believe its a getrag thing.
Sponsored

Dave2017GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1
My 2017 GT PP does this as well. Car only has 420 miles on it. From everything i read this is just a normal sound. Very unfortunate considering this is the first new car ive ever bought. Anyway, taking to the dealer next week to have a busted tail light (lol not joking) replaced. Also, my emergency brake is also really loose. Hopefully they can tighten it up.

ZanarkO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2000 C5, 2006 Eclipse GT, 2003 Evo 8
3500 miles 2017 mustang gt base 6 speed does this as well. Also the shifter seems randomly notchy in 2nd and 5th gear some times, no syncro issues I dont think just maybe a fluid change? Anyway its annoying and it seems like sometimes the transmission shifts great other times it shifts like crap at random.

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
Mine did it as well I did the BG fluid change and it is almost gone. I say almost because the notchyness is gone but on occasion it does thud just not as bad as it was.

isedawishy

GTPPTT6REIGHTY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
My 2017 GT PP does this as well. Car only has 420 miles on it. From everything i read this is just a normal sound. Very unfortunate considering this is the first new car ive ever bought. Anyway, taking to the dealer next week to have a busted tail light (lol not joking) replaced. Also, my emergency brake is also really loose. Hopefully they can tighten it up.
Reported the parking brake issue when I got my 15 and they said they'd need to keep it at least over night. Just tightened it myself...

It helped some, but it's still loose... seems like a bad design. My Focus parking brake feels much better which is sad.

Sponsored

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
16 PP with 14k on it now. I have the thud too. Mostly when the car is cold and shifting into first. I haven't really noticed it through any other gears. I was aware of this and just figured I'd have to live with it while I owned the car. I've had it since owning the car with 12 miles.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
People talk about it being a driveshaft issue, a rear end issue, a transmission issue. And you see some situations of replacing a part and it going away for one guy, but not another. Here's my best guess / theory.

The root cause may be there's some amount of drag across the clutch, even when disengaged. This causes the input shaft of the transmission to spin slightly when in neutral, but being in gear obviously provides enough resistance to stop it. When you're in neutral and move into gear, the inertia of the input shaft transfers to the transmission output. Depending on how much backlash is in all of the downstream components, you'll get a thud of varying degree as that inertia is transferred down the drivetrain and all of that lash is used up, forcing the input shaft to stall. More combined lash means more thudding.

So, if you have low lash in the axle, but a bit in the 2-piece prop shaft, putting in a 1-piece shaft reduces the lash - and the inertial movement - enough to make the thud less noticeable. But if there's also excessive lash in the axle, then you don't make enough reduction in system lash to change how the thud feels. It might be more noticeable off the bat in PP cars because 1) the 3.73:1 gears multiply the axle back lash more than the taller gearsets do, and 2) the Torsen lacks a preload spring, which masks the differential gearing lash in the clutch plate diffs. So, more perceived lash comes from the axle. But you can get it in other axle combinations if the prop shaft or transmission system lash is also high enough. You don't get it in A/T cars because the transmission obviously sidesteps the issue.

I could be completely off base on this, I'm just an axle guy. But this is the only thing I've been able to come up with that addresses all the facts as I understand them. You can chase various aspects of drivetrain back lash and improve the situation, but I'd bet that if the clutch could be set up so the clutch disc more fully disengages the pressure plate, the problem would disappear. At least that's my thinking...
This is what I've observed also. The only time I get the "thud" is if I've been sitting in neutral and quickly engage a gear. The location and nature of the sound seem to be the pressure plate and input mass coming to a quick stop by the synchros. Does anyone have the breakaway torque/preload specs for the input of these transmissions?

Some say different oil in the transmission eliminated the thud. A more viscous fluid would cause more resistance to rotation as the input rotates the lay cluster.

skytop1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
Fully disagree with you and the previous long post. Your supposition is clearly unbased and in error.
Even standing still with clutch fully dispressed for say, 5 seconds, put into ANY gear THUMP! Move from 1 to 2nd to 3rd to 4th to 5th to 6th, THUMP, THUMP, THUMP, THUMP, TUMP, THUMP!
When moving, I get the TUMP.
I have experienced this issue since brand new.

I am also FED UP with the insane center stack design of tiny squeezed to together controls that are virtually impossible to adjust while driving because one must look down the stack to see where the teeny tiny desired button is. Super dangerous and amateur design from Ford.

I am tired of the gremlin in my security system that locks me out and refuses to open the trunk or opens the trunk by itself.
Yes, my next 2018 car will NOT BE A FORD.

Dave2017GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1
Mine did it as well I did the BG fluid change and it is almost gone. I say almost because the notchyness is gone but on occasion it does thud just not as bad as it was.
Whats the BG fluid change? Transmission fluid?

TooSoonJunior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6
Whats the BG fluid change? Transmission fluid?
Yes, the fluid properties of the BG fluid seems to tame some of noises from the MT82 as well as improve varying temperature performance. I noticed some noises right away when I purchased my Florida car and drove it in 30 degree new England weather, when I asked the previous owner he was honest and said he never experienced the same noises. My next step I ordered the fluid kit and will be doing the change over in a few weeks.

That said, I have spent the better part of 3 weeks going through these forums and honestly have come to the conclusion that most of the "issues" and "thumping" people hear and raise concerns about are all personal preferences and opinions. My brother got behind the wheel and rowed through the gears and thought it felt heavenly, best 6 speed he has driven (coming from a bunch of GM vehicles). So I have to go with the old saying, opinions are like @ssholes....EVERYONE HAS ONE...

Sponsored

Coconut

Poptart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic manual
Mine thuds if you shift it super quick into gear from neutral. Slowing the shift down a bit and I don't get the thud. My S2000 had this thud as well. To get smooth shifts from your MT82, don't manhandle it.

skytop1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
When I shift that slowly, I tend to become weary but then the car behind me blast his/her horn.
Shifting at all speeds producing the thunk in my Mustang GT. Today I was noticing I have do have the thud in all gear when stationary or while in motion. Unacceptable and very aggravating. I hold Ford responsible fully for causing such frustration during my ownership of my car. No more Fords for me.

S550bsessed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT / 6 speed / Ruby Red
Quick history on me, i have approx 20 years experience driving manual transmissions (Mostly FWD), and I was in the automotive trade (Service Advisor) for 13 years...recently moved on.

So I have had my car for a month...and I have approx 1500 miles on it. I am finding that clunk/thud noise is pretty normal to me, it feels like driveline play to me.

What concerns me is that - For me I am finding that when the transmission is cold, I can really feel the syncros grabbing/pulsating back into the gear selector?? This is under normal driving conditions in the city, shifting around 2500 rpms.

To me it almost feels like the syncros are not bringing the gear up to speed fast enough.on the 1-2 shift and 2-3 shift.

My shifts 3-4/5-6 are very smooth and I don't feel the syncros grabbing.

I am wondering if this BG Syncro Shift Fluid would help with this?

OR

Is it possible that Ford put beefier syncros to withstand the beating of harsh driving/accelerating that most of of bought the car for.
It would make sense to me that seeing as people typically are beating the crap out of the transmission when shifting 1-2 and 2-3.

Thoughts??

16s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT M6 performance pack, whipple charged
The bg fluid will help out a ton. Also a new shifter would be good too. Stock one sucks. I have also noticed the transmission shifts funny when cold but once warmed up it feels normal. As of now with all the mods I only have the this once in awhile. I Also changed to a stainless braided clutch line.
Sponsored